Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    New monitor = resolution problem. HELP!
    This weekend I bought an LCD monitor. I like the monitor just fine but the recommended resolution of 1440 x 900 isn't an option in the list of resolutions available on my PC. So I've set it to a similar resolution but the picture is distorted and this is making me nuts. I do a lot of graphics work on my PC so a distorted picture is not acceptable.

Does anybody know how to fix a problem like this? Can I download the specs for 1440x900 to my PC? Can I change the default on my monitor? Help! I'm so stinking confused.

I would set your screen resolution to 1024x768 and then reboot (so the monitor will reset it's resolution). This is an extremely common resolution set and it will get you going. If you want to do higher resolutions still do this first so you know that the monitor is working okay.

Thank you, openrsm! Your suggestion worked beautifully. No more distortion! Yay!

But I still wonder if there's some way I can load the params for the 1440 x 900 resolution to my PC.

The short answer is yes. The long answer depends on the monitor, PC, which OS, etc.

I would see if there is a definition on a CD that came with the monitor or downloadable from the manufacturer of the monitor that is suitable for your OS. That would be the first thing I'd look for.

The available resolutions depend on the grahics card and/or graphics driver. If you know what graphics card you have you might try the manufacturer's website to see if an updated driver is available for download.

Hey, vampireskunk, thanks for the info. I have Windows XP. Not sure how to find out what my graphics card is though. Checked Control Panel and didn't see anything useful there. Any suggestions?

Cool
    sometimes Microsoft Update detects a possible need and offers a newer driver for it. sometimes it works. if not, there is a rollback feature for the driver in the screen properties.

Thanks Herb! Microsoft Update doesn't detect a problem. I was planning to buy a new PC next year anyway so hopefully that will correct any issues my "old" PC has with my spiffy new monitor.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    While the fix depends on OS, driver, specific hardware etc., I'd suggest switching to 1280x960. It isn't as small as 1024x786 and looks great on an LCD of 1440x900.

In XP you can right-click on MyComputer and then click "Properties" to look at the Hardware
    or
    in ControlPanel click on device manager and scroll down to graphics card and then right click for properties.

Thanks 2busy, but guess what? There is nothing in Device Manager for a graphics card. Is that hilarious, or what? (Any thoughts on what else a graphics card might be called?)

Look for Display Adapters

There might be some specific control panel for your card (or chip - it could be an on-board graphics chip rather than a slot-in card as such)

for instance, I have an nvidia card, and an nvidia control panel

It's worth looking in the sys tray, at the bottom right, to the left of the clock, to see if there is any graphics control panel there

2busy, I did find it under Display Adapters.

When I ran update drivers the software informed me that it couldn't find anything to improve on the existing drivers. Guess I'll look online. At least now I know what's driving my monitor.

Are we having fun yet?

Thanks everybody!

DXDiag will give you information about your video adapter. Go to Start, Run, type in dxdiag and press enter (or click Ok). When the diagnostic tool window appears, click the Display tab. The video adapter name, manufacturer, resident video memory size, and a few other bits of info will display. Then, look around online for appropriate drivers for your adapter.

Before installing a new driver, you might want to check system restore to make sure it's turned on so you can easily go back if the driver fouls up your computer. Right click My Computer, Properties, and System Restore tab. Make sure the checkbox (Turn off System Restore on all drives) is NOT CHECKED.

X

Hey Ed, that was cool! I located the chip maker's web site with driver updates but the list of chips seems to require more detailed info than I can find with dxdiag.

I think at this point I'll phone the guy who built my PC and ask him to figure it out. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but if he doesn't he won't get my next order for a PC (which will include the mother of all graphics boards).

You guys are the BEST!!!

Oh, one more thing, do you guys think the driver scan on this web site would be safe to use? Ever heard of it?

http://www.liutilities.com/products/freescans/

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Hey Ed, that was cool! I located the chip maker's web site with driver updates but the list of chips seems to require more detailed info than I can find with dxdiag.

I think at this point I'll phone the guy who built my PC and ask him to figure it out. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but if he doesn't he won't get my next order for a PC (which will include the mother of all graphics boards).

You guys are the BEST!!!
    In that case you'll have to pull the board and look.

As for an online scan, don't think I'll offer advice in either direction. I will say that I'm very leary of online scans. You might search for comments either way by people who have used the service...

X

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread