Please define 'unique'
    Can someone please define ‘unique content’?

For search engines to consider content to be unique does the content need to be a completely original one-off article? If you were to re use an article and change a few words around would that also be considered unique?

I’m just trying to get an idea of what actually constitutes unique particularly in the eyes of Google.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    Excellent article. And I love the message at the top "Those that just churn and burn" don't bother reading....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Good article. The only thing I'd add is, if you're not sure whether your content is unique, it probably isn't.

Banned
    Great article Merchant Consultant Team. I never thought of unique content as being literal or conceptual, or maybe I did but just never put words to it.

Anyway, I also have a comment on unique content. Many people read an article and just paraphrase it in their own words (literal unique content). Although this metod will usually cause your article to "pass Copyscape", I believe it is still a derivative of the original author's work and could leave you open to a plagiarism lawsuit.

It is best to gather information from multiple articles or multiple sources.

Off topic: just hit the 50 post mark!

Conceptually Unique C*ntent is King..... Hehe.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Rae Hoffman will be a speaker at Affiliate Summit in Jan '09

Here is how I feel I am unique in my beauty blog.
    I have 4 years of healthcare training. -> I go to an educational, research site with millions of articles written for healthcare professionals. -> I find how it relates to beauty and skincare -> I write an article that is based on the research of my reads that is simple and easy for the layman to understand. -> I post my references at the bottom.

Here is an example of how I probably wouldn't be original.
    I go read an article in my prevention magazine then go to Wiki for a definition. -> I then read two more articles on the same subject in a couple of blogs. -> Then I copy all the info I have and rewrite it while making sure to stuff it with the keywords that I desire.
    :kiss:

Thanks for that great article by Rae. That's very useful advice.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    There are some Internet marketers who can think of NEW, unique content and write it.

It boils down to creative ideas. Most people can't think creatively to save their lives, thus the theft of content and ideas in this business. Stealing ideas ranges from copying other people's posted articles or stories to ripping someone's ideas on what to sell.

The film and music businesses are rife with "idea theft." I didn't realize how prevalent this is in the online world until people started stealing my ideas. I couldn't imagine what or why they'd want to steal my stuff until I realized they either thought (or knew by privileged information) that I was making money with specific "ideas" and copied what I had on my site. I know of people who regularly check my site to see what I've added and they then add the same "ideas" to their sites. I started building everything on new domains now to keep my ideas from being ripped.

Unique content is something you thought of ON YOUR OWN. You can take an idea you read about or heard somewhere and write, film or post your own ideas about it. That's unique content.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    There are some Internet marketers who can think of NEW, unique content and write it.

It boils down to creative ideas. Most people can't think creatively to save their lives, thus the theft of content and ideas in this business. Stealing ideas ranges from copying other people's posted articles or stories to ripping someone's ideas on what to sell.
    We are all products of our environments. To come up with a truly unique idea is rather, well, unique. Meaning it doesn't happen very often.

When I want to write unique content I think of it as doing a research paper. I come up with what I want to write about (thesis). I research the topic. Make notes (not cut and paste). Then I write the content off of the notes using my own words. Some would say I've stole other peoples work, but my way of doing it would pass at any academic institution in the country. So I think I'm ok.

Unique content has landed me at the top of the Google serp recently. By unique, I mean 100% original.. I make observations on my niche/topic.. and while I'm not the only one, my own phrasing & commentary belongs to no one else. It's fact plus opinion.

As a rule of thumb, I try not to read/research too much as it's too easy to be influenced by what you read. Since I'm not a newspaper, I can be a little vague & get away with it (still ensuring accuracy, of course).

Not sure this helps, but I wanted to share as this approach has served me very well in the past little while.

If you want to be an article writer, that's different. But if you're placing articles on your site, google notices the above type of originality (which I guess is "conceptual") & rewards accordingly. Better to write your own words than rearrange others.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sillycows
    Here is how I feel I am unique in my beauty blog.
    I have 4 years of healthcare training. -> I go to an educational, research site with millions of articles written for healthcare professionals. -> I find how it relates to beauty and skincare -> I write an article that is based on the research of my reads that is simple and easy for the layman to understand. -> I post my references at the bottom.

Here is an example of how I probably wouldn't be original.
    I go read an article in my prevention magazine then go to Wiki for a definition. -> I then read two more articles on the same subject in a couple of blogs. -> Then I copy all the info I have and rewrite it while making sure to stuff it with the keywords that I desire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    We are all products of our environments. To come up with a truly unique idea is rather, well, unique. Meaning it doesn't happen very often.

When I want to write unique content I think of it as doing a research paper. I come up with what I want to write about (thesis). I research the topic. Make notes (not cut and paste). Then I write the content off of the notes using my own words. Some would say I've stole other peoples work, but my way of doing it would pass at any academic institution in the country. So I think I'm ok.
    Hmmm...I wonder if these would be considered literally or conceptually unique. After re-reading Rae's article, I would have to say that these would be considered literally unique articles. However, if these articles consisted largely of the author's views, opinions, and theories on the information provided, they woud probably be conceptually unique even though the foundational information provided was fom other articles. What do you think?

It seems that truly unique content (conceptual) on the web is much more elusive than the type of content (literal) someone typically thinks of when he mentions unique content.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread