ABW Ambassador
    U.S. Troops to Bolster Domestic Security
    The U.S. military expects to have 20,000 uniformed troops inside the United States by 2011 trained to help state and local officials respond to a nuclear terrorist attack or other domestic catastrophe, according to Pentagon officials.

Washington Post

Lightbulb
    radiofolk are commenting already that that should be the job of each state's National Guard.

I'm not sure why but I had the impression that this was against the US constitution. Does anyone know if that's correct? I see soldiers in the subway already here in NY. I have to say I find it somewhat unnerving coming from a country where even the police don't routinely carry guns!
    [B]Kier Marston[/B] - Account Manager
    Email/AIM/MSN: Kier@webgains.com
    [URL=http://us.webgains.com/affiliates.html]Join Webgains[/URL] , Read [URL=http://usablog.webgains.com/]our blog[/URL]

Libertarians and the ACLU are concerned about the expansion of the military for domestic use. While I generally side with Libertarian philosophy, on this subject Im leaning towards agreeing that the U.S. military must be prepared to assist with internal U.S. Security.

If the U.S. were facing a direct attack from another nation, say Canada invading from the north, then no one would question the use of the military. Islamic terrorists attacking on U.S. soil should not be viewed any differently, and certainly should not be considered just a law enforcement problem.

The military brings new skills to the fight, but most importantly is a trained and ready force that can immediately bolster the law enforcement numbers.

Why cant the National Guard do it? Without trying to intentionally bash the NG, they cant react as quickly as a regular Army unit who is in a readiness posture. Terrorist attacks are usually only known after the fact. Having a unit on stand by that can react in hours, not days, is critical.

Is the Posse Comitatus Act an issue? Most Americans misinterpret the Posse Comitatus Act. enacted after the Civil War, the Posse Comitatus Act was enacted to remove the military from a law enforcement role, and return them to defending the borders of the United States. The Posse Comitatus Act was never intended to prevent the U.S. military from defending the country from terrorist attacks, or all enemies both foreign and domestic.

What about the Constitution?The United States Constitution simply does not forbid the military from being ready to respond in a crisis. We are not talking about deploying the Army to the streets of America to take up defensive positions on every street corner. This measure simply ensures that the active U.S. Army is ready to respond rapidly, and with the proper training, when called on.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    Libertarians and the ACLU are concerned about the expansion of the military for domestic use. While I generally side with Libertarian philosophy, on this subject Im leaning towards agreeing that the U.S. military must be prepared to assist with internal U.S. Security.

If the U.S. were facing a direct attack from another nation, say Canada invading from the north, then no one would question the use of the military. Islamic terrorists attacking on U.S. soil should not be viewed any differently, and certainly should not be considered just a law enforcement problem.

The military brings new skills to the fight, but most importantly is a trained and ready force that can immediately bolster the law enforcement numbers.

Why cant the National Guard do it? Without trying to intentionally bash the NG, they cant react as quickly as a regular Army unit who is in a readiness posture. Terrorist attacks are usually only known after the fact. Having a unit on stand by that can react in hours, not days, is critical.

Is the Posse Comitatus Act an issue? Most Americans misinterpret the Posse Comitatus Act. enacted after the Civil War, the Posse Comitatus Act was enacted to remove the military from a law enforcement role, and return them to defending the borders of the United States. The Posse Comitatus Act was never intended to prevent the U.S. military from defending the country from terrorist attacks, or all enemies both foreign and domestic.

What about the Constitution?The United States Constitution simply does not forbid the military from being ready to respond in a crisis. We are not talking about deploying the Army to the streets of America to take up defensive positions on every street corner. This measure simply ensures that the active U.S. Army is ready to respond rapidly, and with the proper training, when called on.
    As Far as I know, even with 8 years of Bush Light and Krazy Cheney there is still the Posse Comitatus Act.

It does not keep the Natl Guard from helping locally, Homeland Security , or the Coast Guard.

I think it is a good law. It was enacted after the Civil War to keep federal troops out of the South.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

There is no real need for it to be repealed. The Russians, Cubans, or the Mexican Army are not going to invade anytime soon. And we have all seen how well the Army does in civil environments in Katrina, NY, Afghanistan and Iraq. If you want lots of stuff blown up and people killed call the Army and the Marines. If you want a somewhat civil situation call the police, fire, and medical emergency teams.

And if memory serves me right there are quite a few bases in Southern Arizona. You on Fort Huachuca?

And if the Natl guard is not as capable as the Army why are they doing multiple tours in Iraq and getting stopgapped so they cant go home?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Pardon my paranoia but I don't particularly want the army patrolling the streets of the USA. It reeks of Nazi-ism and sets us up for military rule and potential mass civilian arrests if we, the people, decide we don't like the way things are going. It's asking for more government control over our lives which just scares me.

Maybe I read too much. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    And we have all seen how well the Army does in civil environments in Katrina, NY, Afghanistan and Iraq. If you want lots of stuff blown up and people killed call the Army and the Marines.
    Quite an ignorant comment. You obviously have no idea what your talking about.

Regarding Posse Comitatus, it prevents the military from having a law enforcement role. A terrorist attack is not a law enforcement issue; it's war!

The oath taken by every service member states "to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

It's not inconceivable for the type of attack that occurred in India to happen in the U.S. If the military is not prepared to respond, the public outcry will be thunderous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Pardon my paranoia but I don't particularly want the army patrolling the streets of the USA. It reeks of Nazi-ism and sets us up for military rule and potential mass civilian arrests if we, the people, decide we don't like the way things are going. It's asking for more government control over our lives which just scares me.

Maybe I read too much. LOL
    Rexanne, They are not going to patrol the streets of America. What they are doing is creating a ready reaction force that can quickly respond in the event of an emergency. The troops will still be stationed on their bases, just like they are now.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    Rexanne, They are not going to patrol the streets of America. What they are doing is creating a ready reaction force that can quickly respond in the event of an emergency. The troops will still be stationed on their bases, just like they are now.
    OK, then I'm all for it. I'd rather see our military protecting us when necessary than being elsewhere.

Thank you for explaining, Greywolf.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

lol i am sorry but the word bolster makes me giggle sounds like a palin statement, not getting political just giggly
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread