ABW Ambassador
    OMG & this is news
    Stocks fall sharply on consumer spending worries...
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081201/wall_street.html

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    Stocks fall sharply on consumer spending worries...
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081201/wall_street.html
    I'm always amazed at how the media oversimplifies movement in the stock market. Phrases such as this one, and my favorite is "stocks are down on profit taking." As if the millions of people buying and selling stocks are somehow doing so for the same reason(s).

the funny thing is the prelim numbers from the weekend are looking very good so far. The full Credit Card numbers come out in a day or two (which includes debit and check cards).

Friday was 10.6 Billion.. Up 300,000,000.00 from last year.
    Last edited by openrsm; December 1st, 2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: dropped a decimal

And Black Friday was better than last year. Remember, before a stock can sell lower someone has to buy it. Apparently not everyone sees total doom and gloom like the media.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    Apparently not everyone sees total doom and gloom like the media.
    Uhh... it was the fourth largest drop in the stock market EVER. I am not sure how you spin that to be sunshine and roses. That is doom and gloom.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    US officially in a recession news was one of the factor
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?p=893217

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Uhh... it was the fourth largest drop in the stock market EVER. I am not sure how you spin that to be sunshine and roses. That is doom and gloom.
    Just as a 680 point gain is nothing to jump and scream about, I don't think a 680 point drop is doom and gloom. The stock market is not economic data. The stock market TRENDS with economic data, but many factors come into play as to why someone buys or sells a stock. Not all of them have to do with the economy.

And Cyber Monday looks to be up 6% or so from last year. It takes a couple more days for solid figures, but people were shopping in earnest. The curious thing is Amazon and Ebay looked to have lower traffic while Sears, Walmart, and many others were way up.

Realtime data available on Akagami for retail internet traffic

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    Not all of them have to do with the economy.
    And sometimes they do.

Good stocks are taking a hit now because of the economy. To say we are not having a serious, serious non-standard issues right now with the economy is to have your head in the sand. When reports come out that we are in a recession and manufacturing activity hit a 26-year low in November, that is going to effect the whole market. That is what happened yesterday, not hard to understand, not sure why some people are denying it. Buying today will be picking up the deals from yesterday. Pretty simple.

Christmas isn't go to save the economy. It might look good for affiliates in the short term because of christmas, but that is being really short sighted. Look at the projections for next year, watch how you spend your money this year. Being smart about how the economy is effecting not you individually but people at a whole is a must for affiliate marketers.

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Good stocks are taking a hit now because of the economy. To say we are not having a serious, serious non-standard issues right now with the economy is to have your head in the sand.
    I'm not saying the economy isn't bad, just trying to avoid hyperbole such as "doom and gloom" that just spread fear, without providing any REAL information.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    I'm not saying the economy isn't bad, just trying to avoid hyperbole such as "doom and gloom" that just spread fear, without providing any REAL information.
    reports come out that we are in a recession and manufacturing activity hit a 26-year low in November.

Not trying to "spin" anything and never said it was good, just that I don't believe it's as bad as the media makes it out to be. They love to sensationalize news and I think they actually make this worse. Sure, projections for 09 aren't good either but if the experts making the projections are so good, where were they 6 months ago? If anyone projected things would be as bad as they are today I surely missed it. This Country's been through worse and if the politicians don't make it worse we'll get through this too.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    Not trying to "spin" anything and never said it was good, just that I don't believe it's as bad as the media makes it out to be. They love to sensationalize news and I think they actually make this worse. Sure, projections for 09 aren't good either but if the experts making the projections are so good, where were they 6 months ago? If anyone projected things would be as bad as they are today I surely missed it. This Country's been through worse and if the politicians don't make it worse we'll get through this too.
    Greg, I like your optimism, and I agree that things are not as bad as the media portray.

Not being funny but, I have found over the years that the s (doom and gloom merchants) cry woe at every opportunity. The truth is that our (everyones) economy goes up and down... It usually takes 3 months, then rises again. If everyone was ic then we would never see upturn as everyone would be too scared to put money into anything. Itend to save for the downtimes as we all KNOW they will come along again, and then make money in the uptimes.

ok thats annoying... pess imists, not smiley faces

Quote Originally Posted by 1stAngel
    ok thats annoying... pess imists, not smiley faces
    I was wondering what the heck those were...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    Manufacturing at 26 year low, car sales at 25 year low. Damn that media for making up those numbers!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    ok, even us optimists can admit that there's a TRUCKLOAD of bad news raining down upon us all lately, and it's very real and impacting real people, in very real ways.

however, the sky isn't falling, we will recover, and it is possible to do relatively well during poor times.

especially online.

"The Monday after Thanksgiving was better than expected, retailers say"
    http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=28653
    ~~~~excerpt~~~~
    The doom and gloom of the economy continues, and online sales on Friday, the big shopping day after Thanksgiving, barely registered growth, up a mere 1%, according to web measurement firm comScore Inc. But yesterday appears to have brought better news, based on reports from several online retailers about sales Monday, the day after Thanksgiving weekend that’s typically the first of the big online shopping days of the holiday season.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

1% growth isn't something to dissuade me from finding my pockets of success.

~~~~another-excerpt~~~~
    The major web measurement and research firms say they will report Monday sales and other figures tomorrow. Online retail sales for Monday were expected to grow 2.4%, according to a BDO Seidman LLP survey of 100 chief marketing officers at retailers with revenues of more than $100 million.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online retailers brace for bargain-hunting shoppers after a so-so weekend
    http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=28633
    ~~~~excerpt~~~~
    84.6 million U.S. consumers plan to shop online today, up 17.5% from 72.0 million last year, according to a poll this weekend by BIGresearch for online retailer trade group Shop.org, part of the National Retail Federation. Based on the Thanksgiving weekend’s results, many will be searching for bargains.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, in our area of business, we're expecting 17% growth in our prospect base...

Go read this second article, it's got numbers for many areas online and from many sources, and they all use the word "increase", not "decrease".

When times are bad, and they certainly are, and likely to erode further, you might want to be a tad optimistic about being involved in one area of the economy that is doing the best during this very serious downturn.

Just a positive thought for the day...

:-)

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Cyber Monday spending rises 15 percent: comScore

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081203/..._cybermonday_5

~~~~excerpt~~~~
    SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – Online retail spending rose 15 percent on the all-important Monday after Thanksgiving from a year earlier, sounding a positive note in an otherwise bleak holiday season.

Still, the data from tracking firm comScore Inc also found e-commerce spending for the holiday season to date was off 2 percent.

Stifel Nicolaus analyst Scott Devitt said he was "pleasantly surprised" to see the 15 percent jump on "Cyber Monday." "The comScore data are certainly a psychologically relevant positive data point," he said.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~excerpt~~~~
    And on Cyber Monday, when consumers log on -- often from work -- to seek better deals than they saw on visits to physical stores, online spending reached $846 million, up 15 percent from a year earlier, comScore found.

That made this Monday the second-heaviest online spending day on record, behind the $881 million spent on December 10, 2007, comScore said.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~excerpt~~~~
    At U.S. brick-and-mortar stores, sales rose a mere 0.9 percent during the three-day holiday weekend beginning Friday, said ShopperTrak on Wednesday.

But traffic was down 19 percent in the same period, marking the largest three-day drop since the company began tracking that data. ShopperTrak monitors more than 50,000 retail locations.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread