More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Setting Up Ecommerce Site To Eventually Use SAS
    I am setting up an e-commerce site for a friend. I am starting with photos of products and building the site along with a shopping cart. But also, my friend is open to affiliate marketing via SAS so I am thinking that I could place all the product information in a spreadsheet format that would be all set for a data feed to submit to SAS. (I should be able to do this right?) I know how to do all this for an affiliate site, but not for a shopping cart based site. I have read up on this a bit but for sure need to learn more. This is what I am seeing that needs to be done:

1. Get Domain name (done)

2. Get Hosting. Question: Will the Hostgator Business Plan work? It has free private SSL and Dedicated IP. Or is some other hosting needed? My first choice is Hostgator because it has worked well for my PHP-Datafeed sites.

3. Get shopping cart software. OSCommerce seems to be popular. Is this a good choice?

4. How do I go about setting up the SSL Certificate? Would the SSL Certificate provided by HostGator suffice?

5. I need a payment system. Is Google Checkout a good option? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any advice, links, or other resources you can provide.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I started to try to answer part of your question but gave up because without knowing what you are planning to sell and how your cart is set up there is no way to give any accurate information.
    Regarding the certificate: IF no customer information is stored on your site you don't need one - BUT it is hard to get customers to read explanations telling them that their payment information will be entered on another site. Some people will click anywhere to buy things, even emailing credit card information and others balk if even their shipping address is not entered on a https: page.

IF you will be accepting/storing any customer information on this site you will need to have your own security certificate. A certificate is not a terribly expensive thing but many ecommerce situations do not require a certificate.

Dedicated hosting is not a requisite unless the inventory and/or traffic load is huge.

4. How do I go about setting up the SSL Certificate? Would the SSL Certificate provided by HostGator suffice?
    You definitely need one for trust alone in my opinion. I got my latest from GoDaddy for $35 I believe and installed it myself via cPanel. I have had cases with shared hosting that I had to pay to have it installed by host tech support.

Don't forget to look at Zen Cart while you are looking. It grew out of oscommerce. I have done both and like Zen best, but it's been a while.

Thanks 2busy and John. This will be jewelry site. Mostly $15 to $30 items sold via a shopping cart and shipped. So we will be taking CC and shipping info.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

http and a telephoto
    Zen Cart is easy to set up with Shareasale and Paypal and has a plugin to create data dumps called EasyPopulate. HostGator business hosting is most likely fine to start and you can move to dedicated as traffic demands it. Your merchant account will let you know how secure your secure certificate needs to be, they have requirements they have to meet themselves for you collecting information on their behalf. However if you have people leave your site for the CC collection (as in PayPal) then your site doesn't need to have the SSL installed.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks Loxly! Sounds like Zen Cart is the way to go. And use a Private SSL which requires a dedicated IP address? From other places I have visited, the only need for Private SSL would be to protect data entered before going to the payment system, like name, address, email, phone. Some have stated that the SSL is more for show but it does protect that information. Getting ones email intercepted and put on a spam list after visiting a shop wouldn't be too cool (I am assuming this could happen with an unsecured form).

So a person goes to the site and uses the Zen Cart to place the order. Then is the order sent to a payment system that is running on an https secured site and CC info is entered at this point? What payment system do you recommend?

You can get a lot of detailed information by visiting various payment gateways such as Authorize.net or Verisign or even Paypal. Paypal is an option I don't like because it is not a merchant account and in case of any customer disputes they just pull the money out of your account and give it back to the customer. An actual Merchant Account is a different situation where you are on the other end of the same process that you would use contesting a charge from your own credit card. The merchant has an opportunity to defend themselves against fraudulent chargebacks. Paypal does offer good information on how the cogs work, and has detailed instructions on cart integration. Authorize.net does also but it is less detailed until you actually open an account.
    If your site handles/stores any PII (Personally Indentifiable Information) you are legally responsible for its safekeeping and the credit card companies can request that you have a security audit.

Thanks 2busy. What are your (and others) thoughts on Google Checkout?

http and a telephoto
    Google checkout has issues with affiliate tracking that I am not sure were addressed. You would need to check with Shareasale support about that.

2busy, Paypal does have a full merchant account service option now also. And that does require your site to have SSL, the customer stays on your site to provide the information.

Authorize.net is probably the most respected gateway, but they aren't actually a merchant account themselves. They can direct you to banks to use. Zen Cart has modules for each of the major gateways.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I've used it to buy, never to sell with but I believe they have a setup similar to Paypal's but different in that the payment goes into an "escrow" like account until the order is filled. An easy process for the buyer, not sure about the seller's end though.

Thank you, Loxly. Yes, you need a merchant account before you can contract with Authorize.net or Verisign to be your payment gateway, sorry if that isn't clear. One point on that is that Authorize.net does not set your monthly fees, their agent does so if you shop around or negotiate you can get lower fees. The Paypal payment gateway exists but since it costs virtually the same as Verisign and Authorize.net, most merchants prefer to have the more professional logos on their sites. If you sign up with Verisign you will get the same gateway as you do with Paypal, just a more respected logo. I moved to Authorize.net when Paypal bought Verisign and shifted my Verisign gateway to Paypal.

The process of applying for a merchant account and a payment gateway has been bundled by several hosting companies so that they are offering an ecommerce package, often with a cart. You pay more to have the package but it is a convenience compared to digging around for all the details, and they help out in getting things started and set up. They don't do anything that you can't do, but they save you the trouble of needing to find all the ends and tie them together.

Your merchant account can be provided by your bank but not all banks offer the service and most require a chunk for minimum deposit to qualify. There are separate monthly fees to pay to the gateway and the merchant account. Some are fixed fees and some are a percentage or per transaction fees. It can add up to a good chunk of money each month that is difficult for a startup business to justify. Orders don't start pouring in right away when a new business goes online, in that respect it is very similar to the ramp up time for an affiliate site.

Thanks everyone for the input! I am leaning toward:

1. Shared hosting at HostGator for about $7/mo with domain at web.com

2. Americart Shopping cart

3. 2Checkout and Paypal and possibly Google Checkout too. Actually 2checkout has a free shopping cart, but my guess is that it isn't what will work with a database of products.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread