This has got to be one of the funniest FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING Offers I've ever seen.

Ship Free Everyday

How can I take advantage of free shipping and handling?

It's easy! When you're ready to check out, we'll provide a fast, convenient way for you choose a Payless ShoeSource store as the pickup location for your order. When checkout is complete and we're authorized for payment, fulfillment of your order begins.

Ship FREE Everyday via FREE In-store Delivery
    Payless.com is pleased to offer free shipping and handling for online purchases when picked up at any of our over 4,600 Payless ShoeSource stores nationwide.
    ------------------------------------
    Sure wish we could get away with a "FREE OFFER" like that....geeez

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    365 Day Cookie | Parasite Free | Commission on ALL Sales

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Can we all spell Ad Whore by now? 5 thousand affiliates scramble to put this super special exclusive shopper friendly incentive into Google just as planned by this shrewd AM feeding their spam machine.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Instead of "funiest" - I probably should have said the most "ballsy"

LOL

I'm surprised they're not charging a premium for this special service...

I have a similar issue with Argos, who are a UK retailer with quite a lot of stores. I can sell one of their items, say for $160 but if the customer decides to pick it up, instead of getting 3% ($4.80 in this example), I just get 80 cents instead. But at least I get something!

This leads to some weirdies though.. today I made a sale of 88 cents but because the customer did "click and collect" I got the 80 cent commission anyway.. I make that a commission rate of 91%

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Yikes!

I'd rather go to Ikea than Argos...

(Might end up affiliated with them, though, when I get around to building for UK merchants)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sure wish we could get away with a "FREE OFFER" like that <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whether *they'll* get away with it is debatable. After all, it's not free shipping when they aren't doing any shipping, so it's false advertising. I'm sure there are lots of competitors picking up the phone to the FTC on that one!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 5 thousand affiliates scramble to put this super special exclusive shopper friendly incentive into Google just as planned by this shrewd AM feeding their spam machine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smart ones will wait on it for a few months, and then post the "free $5 off" deal the FTC will probably make Payless give everyone as a settlement for the deceptive Free Shipping offer.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Well, I'll have to be Payless' advocate in this case.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> by leader
    After all, it's not free shipping when they aren't doing any shipping, so it's false advertising.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's free shipping, indeed, just not to your door, but a store closest to you. They have to fullfill and ship your order from main warehouse as it is likely that they won't have the style, size and color you ordered online, in the store at that sepecific time.

They probably save money by shipping products in bulk to their store with already established distribution rather paying UPS/Fedex for each order.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> by Gatekeeper
    Sure wish we could get away with a "FREE OFFER" like that....geeez
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feel free to publish the same offer if you have "4,600 stores nationwide."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamBay:
    Well, I'll have to be Payless' advocate in this case. Yes, it's free shipping, indeed, just not to your door, but a store closest to you. They have to fullfill and ship your order from main warehouse as it is likely that they won't have the style, size and color you ordered online, in the store at that sepecific time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be willing to bet you a significant sum that you'll be directed to the closest store that has the style and size that you selected rather than any order being shipped to the store closest to you. I seriously doubt if any shipping at all will occur. If you live in NYC and you select an item and the last one is in LA, I'll bet you get the OOS sorry letter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Feel free to publish the same offer if you have "4,600 stores nationwide."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even if I did have 4600 stores nationwide I wouldn't publish an offer like this online. I'd run it in print - but I certainly wouldn't run in the one place where people shop for the specific reason that they do not want to go to the store.

My wife was sitting next to me (we have side-by-side workstations) and she said - Oh look, Payless has a free shipping offer - I'm going to order the nieces in Texas something for Christmas. Even with 4600 stores, there's parts of Texas where the closest Payless might be a 2-hour drive. Needless to say, after she got past the ad and on to the landing page, she said..."oh, what a rip, these #%&holes!" and proceeded to tell me I should post this on ABW.

If I ran an ad that did the same thing to customers - my telephone operators would be buried in complaints. Like I said, I think they have a lot of moxie.

Perhaps they aren't *technically* doing anything wrong. At the very least, they are misleading their customers into thinking they're getting a special deal.

And there are consumer rights laws to protect consumers from this type of behavior by others. Who would want to do business with a company that treats their customers this way in the first place?

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gatekeeper:
    I'd be willing to bet you a significant sum that you'll be directed to the closest store that has the style and size that you selected rather than any order being shipped to the store closest to you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time to pay up, Gatekeeper. As a parent of a 16-month old, we're buying shoes *all* the time since he's growing so fast. And we buy them at Payless. Our local store has next to no selection in his size. However, we've ordered online, and they do, in fact, send them to the store to be picked up. Usually takes about a week. I can definitely confirm this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Even if I did have 4600 stores nationwide I wouldn't publish an offer like this online. I'd run it in print - but I certainly wouldn't run in the one place where people shop for the specific reason that they do not want to go to the store.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason I shop online is to save money and to get what I want. If I can use a coupon (which Payless has quite a few of) and order exactly what I want, I'll do it. It's my choice whether I pay to have it shipped to my house or to the local Payless a mile down the street.

This is no different than what JCPenney does with their catalog sales. You can either have your order shipped to your house or to your local store. Don't even try to tell me that you'll be told it's OOS if your local store doesn't have it in stock.

Michael

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EmDub:
    Time to pay up, Gatekeeper. As a parent of a 16-month old, we're buying shoes *all* the time since he's growing so fast. And we buy them at Payless. Our local store has next to no selection in his size. However, we've ordered online, and they do, in fact, send them to the store to be picked up. Usually takes about a week. I can definitely confirm this.[QUOTE]

Michael, I stand corrected. You should have specified a sum and held me to the fire becuase Gatekeeper never welshes on a bet. Since you have a 16-month old though, PM me or send me an email with your address and I will send you a $40 Thomas and Friends Conductor's Wooden Railway Set to show my good faith.

I shop online because I am too busy working online to go anywhere. Saving money is an added benefit.

I still would not advertise in this manner online. It was deceiving for my wife. JC Penny does not ADVERTISE Free Shipping and later tell you it's Free Pick-up. Call it what it is.

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    365 Day Cookie | Parasite Free | Commission on ALL Sales

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gatekeeper:
    Michael, I stand corrected. You should have specified a sum and held me to the fire becuase Gatekeeper never welshes on a bet. Since you have a 16-month old though, PM me or send me an email with your address and I will send you a $40 Thomas and Friends Conductor's Wooden Railway Set to show my good faith.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was me whom you bet against

So, they do ship the products ordered online. But, in your wife's case, she's right. They should have labeled the offer in a way that it'll not confuse the shoppers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I thought it was me whom you bet against <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you like a Thomas and Friends Conductor's Figure 8 Wooden Railway too?

I'm really just a pushover for kids.

Would you like a Thomas and Friends Conductor's Figure 8 Wooden Railway too?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Thanks for the offer, though.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread