datafeed products with their own page
    is this possible?

for example..when someone clicks a product from the datafeed on your site it goes to yoursite.com/product-1.php automatically without you having to make the page.

I would appreciate this greatly

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Have your script do it. Just pull the info for that product from the database and display it. Instead of showing 100 products, you're showing 1.

That would require me to hand code each page to display that one result no?

not really. Have you really gone though all those tutorials to learn how to query a database? I wonder if you just did a copy/paste from that site you mentioned in your other thread.

I would prefer if you gave me some code to help, rather than just make the claims.

What code have you used so far for showing individual products? What select statements have you tried?

I'm sure we'd like to help you but I can't just copy/paste my own php code here because:

1. I probably have a different database table setup.
    2. I don't want someone to have the exact same product display since that would be 100% duplicate content as opposed to 99% now.
    3. My code uses a lot of include files to divide things up.
    4. I only started programming this summer so It is messy.

I havent tried to because i don't know how to.

well, it would probably be best to learn how to display the contents of your database table in a page and then try different select statements to be more focused and really you need to learn basic PHP. You crawl and walk before you run and you seem to want to participate in the marathon tomorrow while taking baby steps.

There are plenty of results in Google for displaying the contents of a database. Look at several of those, try to use it, do searches for individual functions and read about them and their examples. Read tutorials on PHP and experiment.
    I believe there are even some sample scripts posted here by more experienced programmers that you could break down, but honestly when I saw those my eyes glazed over. I needed to see something simple and basic I could try, ponder, and break down into parts and there are plenty of results online with basic examples.

so for your own data feed, if I clicked a product it would go to yoursite.com/specific-product.php and you didn't even create that page?

Quote Originally Posted by chillini
    so for your own data feed, if I clicked a product it would go to yoursite.com/specific-product.php and you didn't even create that page?
    I don't have my own datafeed. I import merchant feeds to my database and then use that info for product and catalog pages and a bunch of other stuff that probably won't make sense to someone just starting out.

When you make your own code you could have the link send the visitor anywhere including your individual product page.

yes, I create them. I just don't do them one by one. If I wanted to do them one by one I'd just use plain HTML not PHP.

You have to read up and TRY to make code before it will make sense. Do you even know HTML well? If not, you should start there since HTML is still mixed in for formatting and links. Time to do your homework.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Ultimately, you still have to create a dynamic product page for what your asking. This dynamic page can show the one product that you grab dynamically from your database of products you populated from the merchant feed. You need a dynamic template page. Make sense?

www .yoursite.com/product.php?p=1111 (might be a TV)
    or
    www .yoursite.com/product.php?p=1115 (might be a Camera)
    or whatever

where p is referencing a product that you have in your database table at index 1111 or 1115.

ABW Ambassador
    It looks like you are trying to start on step 10, without gaining the (required) knowledge to get you up to step 10 (or whatever)

I would highly recommend some practice with WebMerge just to get the general idea. You don't want to end up with a site that only has datafeed displays. It takes more work than that to go places with it. Your creativity comes into play, not just the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Ultimately, you still have to create a dynamic product page for what your asking. This dynamic page can show the one product that you grab dynamically from your database of products you populated from the merchant feed. You need a dynamic template page. Make sense?

or
    www .yoursite.com/product.php?p=1115 (might be a Camera)
    or whatever

where p is referencing a product that you have in your database table at index 1111 or 1115.
    Ah ok, thanks that makes sense. I was just hoping there would've been a way to get the php to display as "product-name.php" for SEO benefits instead of "p=xxx". I guess this way is fine though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    It looks like you are trying to start on step 10, without gaining the (required) knowledge to get you up to step 10 (or whatever)
    Well i've got a datafeed displaying on my site and it's all working fine but when a product is clicked it goes straight to the merchant site and I wanted to modify that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    I would highly recommend some practice with WebMerge just to get the general idea. You don't want to end up with a site that only has datafeed displays. It takes more work than that to go places with it. Your creativity comes into play, not just the technology.
    I found WebMerge incredibly difficult to use. I'll have another look into it though.

If you find webmerge incredibly difficult, you'd probably say the same thing about coding php product pages. It took me about a month of daily research and experimentation to get my product catalog pages like I wanted them.

Why don't you use Goldencan and Popshops?

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Ah ok, thanks that makes sense. I was just hoping there would've been a way to get the php to display as "product-name.php" for SEO benefits instead of "p=xxx". I guess this way is fine though. Thanks.
    One way around that is to use RewriteRule in your .htaccess file (google it) to make your url's look nicer.

where this....

suddently becomes this....

www .yoursite.com/products/Sony-42-Inch-LCD-HDTV/

Once you learn how to make it display "p=xxx", it would be easy to make it display "product-name.php".

Well i've got a datafeed displaying on my site and it's all working fine but when a product is clicked it goes straight to the merchant site and I wanted to modify that.
    You can make it so when a product link is clicked, it would open the merchant site on a new window.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    One way around that is to use RewriteRule in your .htaccess file (google it) to make your url's look nicer.

where this....

suddently becomes this....

www .yoursite.com/products/Sony-42-Inch-LCD-HDTV/
    Awesome, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    If you find webmerge incredibly difficult, you'd probably say the same thing about coding php product pages. It took me about a month of daily research and experimentation to get my product catalog pages like I wanted them.

Why don't you use Goldencan and Popshops?
    Goldencan doesnt support the merchant I'm displaying. Plus I like the amount of customization that's possible with php/mysql. A month of daily research? nice man, that inspires me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Once you learn how to make it display "p=xxx", it would be easy to make it display "product-name.php".
    Ok I'm onto it

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread