Time to Vote for Pete Rose
    I, akagorilla, being of sound mind and body, willingly post this on ABW for debate. I posted the following on my blog after a former journalism school classmate and current BBWAA member asked for advice on Facebook about who to vote into the Baseball Hall of Fame...

Eligible sportswriters from the Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA) have received their ballots and its time to choose the next Baseball Hall of Famers.

I say its time to vote for Pete Rose. Forget what the cynics say: "Rose? Not until every last player, coach and manager who didn't corrupt the game gets in..." And forget what the rules say, "Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played."

If enough sportswriters go with their gut and vote for Charlie Hustle, then the sport of baseball will begin to heal itself. Who cares about his gambling? Seriously...The man wasn't a saint but he was one hell of a ballplayer. He deserves to be in Cooperstown. The longer this goes on, the more the NFL, NBA and NASCAR will kick MLB's ass in ratings, attendance and merchandise. Get off your high horse and let Pete Rose in...

I even just joined a group on Facebook called "If you don't think Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame I will fight you.

What do you say sports fans?

He should vote for Gil Hodges
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Despite my being an almost life-long Dodger fan, I always admired Pete Rose as a player and manager, and I believe that had his gambling been the key factor, that would not have kept him from the Hall of Fame. However, it was his reluctance to admit to his gambling on baseball, and his outright lying about it, that was the nail in the Hall of Fame coffin, that will likely keep him from the Hall, forever.

The voters do not have the ability to vote for him under the current election rules. The BBWAA voters have the following players on their ballots:

First timers Rickey Henderson, David Cone, Ron Gant, Mark Grace, Jay Bell, Jesse Orosco, Dan Plesac, Greg Vaughn, Mo Vaughn and Matt Williams.

Holdovers Jim Rice, Mark McGwire, Harold Baines, Bert Blyleven, Andre Dawson, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Tim Raines, Lee Smith and Alan Trammell.

The regular Veteran's Committee will have the following 10 old-timers to vote on: Gil Hodges, Joe Torre, Ron Santo, Jim Kaat, Dick Allen, Luis Tiant, Tony Oliva, Al Oliver, Maury Wills, and Vada Pinson.

In addition, the Pre-World War II Special Veteran's Committee that votes only once every 5 years will be voting on additional inductees in 2009.

It is about time that Jim Rice and Bert Blyleven make the Hall of Fame, and I also agree with nyfalcon that Gil Hodges should have made the Hall long ago, but among first-time eligible ex-players, I feel that only Rickey Henderson deserves induction.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla
    And forget what the rules say, "Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played."

What do you say sports fans?

I agree with the former Commissioner of Baseball, Angelo Bartlett "Bart" Giamatti , when he said:

"One of the game's greatest players has engaged in a variety of acts which have stained the game, and he must now live with the consequences of those acts."

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla
    The longer this goes on, the more the NFL, NBA and NASCAR will kick MLB's ass in ratings, attendance and merchandise.
    I don't see how Pete Rose in the HOF has anything to do with baseballs popularity. He gambled on baseball games while he was managing a major league team!!!! I'd rather see Mike Vick starting for the Falcon's than Rose in the HOF. Actions have consequences.

ABW Ambassador
    >>>Actions have consequences.
    imo
    Voting for Pete would be like voting for L$ as the best trusted 3rd party.

I think he deserves to get in no doubt, but it's an image move for the league. They can't associate themselves with anything remotely to do with gambling or tainting the integrity of their game. So I understand the league's point of view.

If the nba wasn't so popular right now they would've have had a big mess on their hands with what came out last year about the one ref betting on games that he worked, and even so a lot of people have suspected that before and will continue to suspect that nba refs are not completely honest. It may take a while before people forget about that.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David S.
    I think he deserves to get in no doubt, but it's an image move for the league. They can't associate themselves with anything remotely to do with gambling or tainting the integrity of their game. So I understand the league's point of view.

If the nba wasn't so popular right now they would've have had a big mess on their hands with what came out last year about the one ref betting on games that he worked, and even so a lot of people have suspected that before and will continue to suspect that nba refs are not completely honest. It may take a while before people forget about that.
    They prosecuted Tim Donaghy, covered up the facts about the other referees who were involved, and the whole thing is now long forgotten. MLB made a cause celebre about Pete Rose, and every year when HOF voting is in the news, the issue comes up again. Its just like the old adage about the difference in public view of doctors and lawyer: "Doctors bury their mistakes, lawyers publish theirs".
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread