Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Hijacked email Address- Do You respond to Indignant Recipients?
    There have been discussions here in the past about having your email address hijacked by spammers, but I do not recall this issue being discussed: Do you respond to indignant recipients of those spam emails that look like they came from you?

I received this message a little while ago:

I do not know you, I do not have a prior relationship with your company, and I have no idea why you would think that I would be interested in an offer like this...I'm a photographer, NOT A SPAMMER (or "marketer" as you like to call yourselves) This email violates the CAN-SPAM Act and has been reported to the Federal Trade Commission. It would be in your best interest to remove me from future mailings.
    I'm debating about deleting and forgetting it, or responding and trying to explain that it was not me, but that I am also a victim of the spammer.

By responding with another email, it could be compounding the problem.

Thoughts?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Tough call... I'd be leery though.... I've recently had a rash of comments to my blogs that follow this pattern:

Your site has been added to our list of spammers because of suspicious activity. To remove your site, send your URL to (idiot spammer's email)

I panicked for about a nanosecond when I read the first one.... pulled my trigger finger back in time and investigated.... apparently it's just a scam to get active email addresses..... I'm not sure if they're trying to pair them with the URL some way in order to hack the site or not, but I'm not about to respond to any of them.... I've gotten several since then and they all wind up in the spam bucket.....

In your case, chances are it's probably someone who's p*ssed about getting spammed, but.... ya never know...

Plus, they've indicated that they want no more email from that address... if you respond, that may open up a whole other can of worms because you sent them another email (you know it's just one, but they don't) Yeah.... I think it might compound the problem...

Add that to the fact that for every 20 normal people on the net, you're probably gonna run into one @sshole..... it would be my luck that I'd try to explain and the complainer would be the 1 @sshole who would probably decide that I'm a freakin' liar and call the White House wanting to talk to Obama about this huge national security issue....

The quote says "this" not "these" email(s).... so apparently he's indicating that he's received only one from your company.... think about it.... I get 50+ spam emails per day.... how about you? *whispers* How many times have you shot off an indignant email to a spammer? 0 times for me.... even if I were inundated by hundreds from the same person, I'd report it but I sure as heck wouldn't send them an email just so the spammer KNOWS it's a live address.... and if I sent emails to every spammer that hit my mailbox, it would take me a few hours each day.... makes me think something's hinky with this guy....

Is there any way to contact the FTC and let them know you've been victimized by a spammer who stole your account?

And is this an email address from your own domain?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Affiliatehound,

I feel your pain. My email addresses get spoofed all day, everyday. I get thousands of "returned mail" email alerts because of this. It makes me completely crazy, knowing my email addresses are being used to spam thousands of people daily.

I think kayecee is right, though. Don't compound the issue by replying to your emailer, even if it is from a legitimate person. Not worth it.

I replied to a person a few years ago and had a nice little conversation about spammers and email addy spoofing over about a week with this guy but I think it's probably best to just let it ride. Too many potential pitfalls to trying to be a gentleman in this instance.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I usually reply and explain that the email they received did not originate from us with a concise explanation of how email addresses can be hijacked. I like to prevent as many people as possible from reporting the domain to spamcops and other such sites.

X

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    There have been discussions here in the past about having your email address hijacked by spammers, but I do not recall this issue being discussed: Do you respond to indignant recipients of those spam emails that look like they came from you?

I received this message a little while ago:

I'm debating about deleting and forgetting it, or responding and trying to explain that it was not me, but that I am also a victim of the spammer.

By responding with another email, it could be compounding the problem.

Thoughts?
    AffiliateHound - I got that email too, and so did some other people I know (in response to the AffiliateMetrics spam). From what I can tell, one of the addresses that was replied to was the list address of AffiliateMetrics's system, and that was probably misconfigured to allow anyone to send to the list, not just the owner. No clue how this operation got so many email addresses, but it came through to an old address that I pretty much only use as a CJ login - The address at one point was CCed (instead of BCCed) by another network I belonged to, and I thought that was the issue, but this guy nor the other people I know who received the mail were on that list.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by kayecee
    ...makes me think something's hinky with this guy....
    Yea - is he trying to start something?

Is there any way to contact the FTC and let them know you've been victimized by a spammer who stole your account?
    Based on past discussions, I don't think so, but might be worth looking into.

.And is this an email address from your own domain?
    The main email address from my oldest, and most successful site - xxxx at mysite dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    My email addresses get spoofed all day, everyday. I get thousands of "returned mail" email alerts because of this. It makes me completely crazy, knowing my email addresses are being used to spam thousands of people daily.
    Right - this I am used to, it's the actual response from a real person (or so it seems) that gets me aggravated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I think kayecee is right, though. Don't compound the issue by replying to your emailer, even if it is from a legitimate person. Not worth it.

I replied to a person a few years ago and had a nice little conversation about spammers and email addy spoofing over about a week with this guy but I think it's probably best to just let it ride. Too many potential pitfalls to trying to be a gentleman in this instance.
    A lot to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    I usually reply and explain that the email they received did not originate from us with a concise explanation of how email addresses can be hijacked. I like to prevent as many people as possible from reporting the domain to spamcops and other such sites.
    Also a lot to consider.

Two different perspectives - not sure yet what I will do or not do.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    I just delete it. I know I didn't do it and don't think there's much you can do about it (I'm not 100% on that) so I don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    AffiliateHound - I got that email too, and so did some other people I know (in response to the AffiliateMetrics spam). From what I can tell, one of the addresses that was replied to was the list address of AffiliateMetrics's system, and that was probably misconfigured to allow anyone to send to the list, not just the owner. No clue how this operation got so many email addresses, but it came through to an old address that I pretty much only use as a CJ login - The address at one point was CCed (instead of BCCed) by another network I belonged to, and I thought that was the issue, but this guy nor the other people I know who received the mail were on that list.
    Hmm. It gets a bit more involved.

Leaning towards not responding.

Looks like you were probably writing when Joshua posted.... read his just before your last one... he says he got the same one...

Looks like you were probably writing when Joshua posted.... read his just before your last one... he says he got the same one...
    Yea, it could be a bigger scam like you described - phishing to get legit addresses out of a large original set-up, or a guy with nothing better to do, responding to all his spam, or .... who knows.

Probably best to delete and forget about it.

LOL and I was posting when you went back to post to him....

LOL and I was posting when you went back to post to him....
    That happens a lot around here.

Exclamation
    OMG

I got that email too!!!

the guy who sent it out responded to me with

"I apologize for the email. Apparently, when I replied to the spam email I
    received, my message was forwarded to everyone on their spam list. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience."

ummm -- hate to ask this ..

but since many people did get this --

Does this forum sell our email addys to 3rd parties?

ABW Ambassador
    "Does this forum sell our email addys to 3rd parties?"

No

This forum? No.... I trust ABW...

you have to remember that everyone on this forum are affiliate marketers... that means that we hang out in a lot of the same places.... and we all have accounts at a lot of the same places... I'm sure that some of those places might sell Grandma's teeth if they thought they could get a buck out of it....

AffiliateHound.... it doesn't help that I'm spoiled rotten..... on my forum, when you click Post, it will warn you that there have been other posts made since you started writing.. and if you scroll down, you can read them and either edit your response or hit Post again...

... on my forum, when you click Post, it will warn you that there have been other posts made since you started writing.. and if you scroll down, you can read them and either edit your response or hit Post again...
    Great feature. Nothing worse than taking time to research and craft a complicated response, only to find someone just posted the same info.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Great feature. Nothing worse than taking time to research and craft a complicated response, only to find someone just posted the same info.
    Or someone just said something that makes your post look like it came from a complete idiot.... been there.... done that....

Or someone just said something that makes your post look like it came from a complete idiot.... been there.... done that....
    Hence, the beauty of the Edit button...

X

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread