ABW Ambassador
    So I am bopping around tonight, happily checking stats.

The wonders of cpm's making a comeback with companies like fastclick, budsinc and clicks with marketbanker and adsense have made my content sites be producers once again. Finally more than pagerank and traffic drivers, they are back. Not back to the days of $5/cpm, but i will take what they give me now. So I do understand cpm advertising.

And I wander over to may affiliates sites, producing nicely. Check month end reports of mine and my partners (stayed up for these). Oddly (for me) amazon is running away with conversions. But who knows, 3 weeks left of frantic shopping.

So I check around on some other sites listed on some producing keywords. I then just keep searching around on products etc - jumping down to page 10 and beyond. I know what works for the most part, what isn't?

And I am left with this question.

Besides maybe highlighting something new or a special - and even then. why in the heck do people run banner ads on their affiliate sites? Do these produce for you?

I come from the land of banner CPMs, that is my start in this industry. But I would never use one on my affiliate sites, they are nothing but branding and non-se helping space.

And I see them everywhere. In bunches, every 3rd product, blah blah blah. Why the banners? I have always thought (once i changed from my cpm mindset) - banners = cpm/cpc (maybe) - but they add nothing to affiliate sites, and if anything take away from your site.

So why? I am talkign just on affiliates sites, not content sites or hybrids. Stricly affiliate sites. Do these convert for some people? Do you know what you are throwing away by having a banner vs an internal text link?

I am really curious.

Chet

TO make people think you are trying to distract them from the high converting text link below. To impress them with big names like dell and walmart that don't convert anyway.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I'm curious too. since adsense, almost all affiliates have atleast 1 adsnese banner on their "revenue pages", doesn't this affect sales?

Personally, I've restricted my adsense links to only content sites, Doesn't google reject affiliate-only revenue sites for an adsense account?

---
    Enlightened Affiliate looking for merchants with datafeeds/low reversals/great CR/no parasites.

ABW Ambassador
    nerver used them.. never will (adsense dosen't count as banner)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm curious too. since adsense, almost all affiliates have atleast 1 adsnese banner on their "revenue pages", doesn't this affect <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, sales go down a small %, but it's worth it.

-------------
    <font size="1">There are two theories to arguing with a woman -- neither one works.</font>

Because I have a 468x60 space in some of my site designs.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

I actually found one affiliate who has a site with my datafeed and displays adsense ads. And guess what? Since the keywords in the feed match with my keywords in adwords campaigns - he actually displays my ads in the adsense box and my affiliate links in the main part of the page.

I haven't figured out if it's good or bad yet, but still I think this will happen to any merchant at some point.

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com
    "All your affiliate are belong to us"

I think most sites were originally designed when the banner was still thought to be King. If you remove them, pages look stark, IMO. I've tried different sizes, locations, etc., and nothing fits the bill like the standard banner ad.

I don't do it for the revenue it generates, but more for filler, as people expect to see a banner, and if they don't the page just doesn't look right.

Andy

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    They add colour to my otherwise bland, test-encrusted sites. :^)

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

I have to abstain from this one based on Chez's request, but have to say I loved Dynamoo's and Drewbert's comments!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

As far as banners go I use them as decor only. I have a page with six products from the same merchant with a banner from the same and sometimes a tower on the right side. It ads related flare and color to the pages. Actually according to my stats I believe they do account for a good percentage of my sales.

Regarding adsense, I was using them and made a good chunk of change and hadn't noticed a decrease in my affiliate income. I removed them for the month of Nov and my affilate income did not increase. Today I added them back to my page and am seeing regular affilaite sales and am makeing even more money with adsense.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Any (non-adsense) banner I put on an affiliate site is fully endowed with sales tracking code, and will be a banner from the merchant being featured on the page. The reason is the same as Drewbert's and Dynamoo's--plus it saves me from having to make a logo!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread