coupon code question
    I want to offer a coupon code discount on my site, but I'm a little confused.

In the Deals Database the merchant shows a tracking URL for the deal along with the coupon code to enter at checkout.

All of the links on my site are products links. Is the coupon code only valid with the exact tracking URL shown in the Deals Database, or will it work regardless of the type of link used?

Thanks,
    Susan

ABW Ambassador
    You can just post the code and it'll work with any link. With coupons, they're usually done in two ways.

Coupon thru the link, discount explained on a landing page and/or shown at checkout. And a shopper has to click on the link to get it active, no actual code to write down or enter at checkout.

And then the most common way, just a regular code. 10% off using code 10OFF. And you can use any link with those.

ABW Ambassador
    Just be aware that if your visitors click on a link and use an exclusive coupon from a different site (that you don't own), then you will not get credit for that sale.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, that would be nice, especially when I see a lot of mine elsewhere but that's not really the case. They could have someone click on their product link, copy and paste some code off another site, even an exclusive code, use it and 9/10, they'll still get the sale. I would just post the ones you find in SAS and are for all affiliates to use. Or some merchants give affiliates exclusives and you might be able to get your own.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Well, that would be nice, especially when I see a lot of mine elsewhere but that's not really the case. They could have someone click on their product link, copy and paste some code off another site, even an exclusive code, use it and 9/10, they'll still get the sale. I would just post the ones you find in SAS and are for all affiliates to use. Or some merchants give affiliates exclusives and you might be able to get your own.

I thought that an exclusive code went straight to the affiliate with the code, regardless of where the link is posted. Or is that not the case?

ABW Ambassador
    Nope. There are a few threads here on the problem like one on retailmenot and other coupon sites where they let users post up coupons or sites that just grab coupons from wherever and a lot of couponers who have exclusives can find their coupons on all these sites. It would be nice and we all wish we would get paid on those sales if shoppers used our exclusives but it's just not the case. I think a merchant here and there do it but it's pretty rare.

Here's that retailmenot thread - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ht=retailmenot

ABW Ambassador
    Then those codes aren't very exclusive are they

ABW Ambassador
    The thing with those codes. It's just letters/numbers and can be copy and pasted anywhere on the internet, even regular coupon codes. Have the coupon/discount thru the link would solve a lot of problems. Or merchants getting it setup so whenever an "exclusive" code is used, the site that the code was meant for would get the sale. If it worked like that, I wouldn't have a problem with other sites grabbing my codes because at least I would be getting paid.

ABW Ambassador
    And after you check out the retailmenot thread I linked to above we have -

http://www.reuters.com/article/press...008+BW20080922

So

ABW Ambassador
    Things can't go on like this forever. The cheats can't alyways be the ones who end up on top.

At least we can all hope!

I recently discussed an exclusive coupon code with one of my best merchants - but they said no, it would end up "out there". So I lost out, my readers lost out.

And the merchant would have lost out had 5,000,000 visitors to retailmenot had access to a code that didn't belong to them.

(sorry to sidetrack the thread, just a timely issue for me).

ABW Ambassador
    Ask them if they would do an exclusive thru the link. I've had some do that with a landing page saying Welcome MySite.com shoppers, your 10% discount will be automatic at checkout, type of deal. I have had both, most merchants give codes because it's easier. And I always find them elsewhere but link codes, not a problem. I've never had one of those show up on another site.

For merchants not wanting codes or coupons to get out there, use link codes. Any code a merchant ever has anywhere, will get out there. That's just the way it is. But you can actually do something about it, it's just a matter of actually doing it.

Thanks for the replies. It's a 20% off coupon code you enter at checkout, so it should work with any of my links.

Susan

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread