Ready to buy but need a tiny bit of help
    Hi to all,
    I have been experimenting for several weeks with this awesome program, WebMerge, and I am in the final testing stage and preparing to buy the full version. I have a slight problem that I need to work out before I purchase and I hope someone can help me with it.
    The site that I am currently working on is PHP. When I clean up the data feed, I must insert ' for the apostrophe symbol or I error out. When I do this in the datafeed(which is simple enough) and run the WebMerge program, the end result in my detail files is a ' it seems as though the WebMerge program is inserting the "amp;"
    This is causing me manual correction which is just not acceptable for a medium to large data feed.
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I need to do to stop it?

Thanks for you help,
    Fish

Quote Originally Posted by rickmanfish
    Hi to all,
    I have been experimenting for several weeks with this awesome program, WebMerge, and I am in the final testing stage and preparing to buy the full version. I have a slight problem that I need to work out before I purchase and I hope someone can help me with it.
    The site that I am currently working on is PHP. When I clean up the data feed, I must insert ' for the apostrophe symbol or I error out. When I do this in the datafeed(which is simple enough) and run the WebMerge program, the end result in my detail files is a ' it seems as though the WebMerge program is inserting the "amp;"
    This is causing me manual correction which is just not acceptable for a medium to large data feed.
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I need to do to stop it?

Thanks for you help,
    Fish
    This is from the WebMergeHelp.html page that comes with WebMerge...

-------------------------
    [WM-Field: fieldName raw]

Using the raw attribute

By default, WebMerge converts field data to HTML. The conversion changes all non-ASCII characters to their corresponding character entity according to the ISO 8859-1 standard. For example, the character "<" becomes "&lt;". This attribute is useful if your database contains some fields whose data is already in HTML format, to prevent WebMerge from altering it for Web display. If your field already contains HTML, you can tell WebMerge not to perform this conversion by using the raw attribute.
    ---------------
    Using the replace attribute

The replace attribute is a function that tells WebMerge to replace any instances of the string in findString with the value in replaceString for the specified field.

Each findString and replaceString can be any string of characters contained within quotation marks and separated by commas. You can include quote and comma characters by using the contants "quote" and "comma", respectively, concatenating with the "&" character as needed.

For example, if your fied data contained:
    He said Hello World
    ...then this:

[WM-Field: MyField replace("Hello World", quote&"Hello"&comma&" World!"&quote)]
    ...would generate this HTML:
    He said &quot;Hello, World!&quot;
    You can have any number of comma-separated find-and replace pairs between the parentheses, each pair separated by semi-colons:

[WM-Field: MyField replace("find","replace";"/","-")]
    I don't remember now, how I use to do it with WM, but...

Maybe you can try using the replace attribute?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    This is from the WebMergeHelp.html page that comes with WebMerge...

-------------------------

I don't remember now, how I use to do it with WM, but...

Maybe you can try using the replace attribute?
    Perfect! Thanks Mr. Sal, it was the "raw" attribute that works, simply and easily.

Thanks again,
    Fish

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread