Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador Georgie Peri's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    Posts
    846
    Question What do AM's get to see when ..
    Hi, im curious to what kind of data AM get to see when a affiliate is making a request to join up?

    I guess this is really general but like in LS, GAN, CJ..

    Do AM's get to see affiliates who been there for a while history? like EPC / Impressions and other stuff?

    Or is it generally just website intel that you enter in the profile?

    ~~~
    If they get to see EPC lvl - if a affiliate has a really high EPC .. would that be a good indicator for the AM to get them into there programs?


    Thanks!

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    West Coast USA
    Posts
    3,043
    They see everything!
    They know the color of your underwear and what you eat for lunch.

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador Georgie Peri's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    They see everything!
    They know the color of your underwear and what you eat for lunch.
    OMG ** runs to buy Kryptonite


  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador beachcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    They see everything!
    They know the color of your underwear and what you eat for lunch.

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    854
    For CJ, advertisers see all sites in your profile, your name (and email if that setting is left at its default state), your 7 day and 3 month EPC, when you joined the network, earnings bar rank, method of promotions selected, and any incentive description. In LS, there was no earnings rank or EPC (at least a year or two ago), which makes things hard for the advertisers in my opinion.

    As for EPC, I didn't used to put much thought into that, unless it was an insanely low EPC (pennies) which could imply forced clicks or something odd.

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador Georgie Peri's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    For CJ, advertisers see all sites in your profile, your name (and email if that setting is left at its default state), your 7 day and 3 month EPC, when you joined the network, earnings bar rank, method of promotions selected, and any incentive description. In LS, there was no earnings rank or EPC (at least a year or two ago), which makes things hard for the advertisers in my opinion.

    As for EPC, I didn't used to put much thought into that, unless it was an insanely low EPC (pennies) which could imply forced clicks or something odd.
    Ahh thanks alot .. very good intel!

  7. #7
    Prince of Content Vinny O'Hare's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    For CJ, advertisers see all sites in your profile,
    As soon as I found this out I removed all my sites from the cj account. That is when I was still using cj
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2008
    Posts
    69
    This brings up a subject that is interesting to me. I see two sides to nearly everything (and if this is a thread derailer feel free to fork)...

    As a Merchant, I want to be able to get to know my Affiliates. Communicate with them 2-way. Have the Affiliates tell me what they want, what creatives, what promotions, etc., etc., etc.... I know as a Merchant I never get enough feedback from my Affiliates.

    As an Affiliate (guessing here, I'm not one) I would want to know as much about each Merchant as possible. I'd want to be able to communicate with them 2-way. Would want to be able to tell them how they can help me sell more and be listened to.

    All that being said begs the "Two Headed Hydra" question... What do Affiliates feel comfortable with and what do Merchants feel comfortable with (info sharing wise) and is the Network really helping at all (any of them)?

  9. #9
    Affiliate Manager guinness618's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    799
    As a merchant, I am willing to share any information I have about a certain affiliate with only that affiliate. Good, bad, indifferent. I don't share other affiliates' information, especially anything having to do with finances.
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

  10. #10
    Affiliate Manager Micker's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    113
    As an AM I'm happy to provide all the information I can. When I'm reviewing applications, I'd like to see contact info

  11. #11
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Micker
    As an AM I'm happy to provide all the information I can. When I'm reviewing applications, I'd like to see contact info
    And many affiliates *don't* want you to see contact info.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  12. #12
    Full Member 1stAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 21st, 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    248
    I sign up to a place like SAS so THEY see my contact detail etc, I dont want any company to see it as, quite honestly, not all companies are real or good... just like affiliates. Thats why we have companies as go betweens

  13. #13
    ABW Ambassador boningroup's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Slidell, LA
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    For CJ, advertisers see all sites in your profile, your name (and email if that setting is left at its default state), your 7 day and 3 month EPC, when you joined the network, earnings bar rank, method of promotions selected, and any incentive description.
    Does that included all of your Deleted sites or just your active ones?
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    As soon as I found this out I removed all my sites from the cj account. That is when I was still using cj
    Huh? Why would you add sites to your CJ profile that you didn't want advertisers to see? So you no longer had any sites listed?
    Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    Does that included all of your Deleted sites or just your active ones?
    Just your active sites.

  15. #15
    Analytics Dude Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,904
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    And many affiliates *don't* want you to see contact info.
    Which I still think, in part, discredits this industry. I understand the desire, believe me, but I just can't imagine telling a higher up that I don't really know who's sending us those sales, or how to contact them aside from a crappy interface email.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

    Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

  16. #16
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Which I still think, in part, discredits this industry. I understand the desire, believe me, but I just can't imagine telling a higher up that I don't really know who's sending us those sales, or how to contact them aside from a crappy interface email.
    That is why there are networks. As an affiliate I am very choosy about indy programs because that is an entity getting my personal information that I may not want having it. The same with CPA networks. And the merchants on them. I don't want every tom dick and harry that feels like looking at my personal information to have access to it just because I might want to join their affiliate program and look around. When I am comfortable *I* choose to share my information.

    As a manager I have no problem telling my higher ups that the network controls the information and not us. Affiliates can choose to share their information or not. I don't think it discredits the industry at all. I think it gives people more confidence to work with more merchants they wouldn't try if they had to give out their personal information to work with.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  17. #17
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Huh? Why would you add sites to your CJ profile that you didn't want advertisers to see? So you no longer had any sites listed?
    Actually at CJ you *don't* have to have any sites listed at all. You add sites to get a separate tracking ID for them.

    The reason many affiliates *don't* want networks, or specific merchants to see their sites is because of the unethical ones that then take the intel from your sites and sales and use them to either make their own sites (employees doing it or the company doing it) to compete with you OR they share the information with other affiliates.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  18. #18
    Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,273
    Lets face it, most merchant with a little effort can track down every affiliate site that is sending them traffic, so I think hiding the info in the Network is simply stalling the inevitable fact that merchants will find the sites that they get traffic from, then they just need to match site to affiliate, not hard considering that a click on the links shows the tracking ID and that can be matched up in the Network... well if they want to spend the time doing so that is

    Cheers

    Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

  19. #19
    Affiliate Manager guinness618's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    799
    I would be happy if affiliates would take me off the SPAM list.
    My emails and newsletters would be much more effective if affiliates could actually receive them.
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

  20. #20
    Full Member 1stAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 21st, 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    248
    I am not bothered by them seeing my sites... I AM bothered by them all having my personal information. That is between myself and the network that pays me. I dont want any company having those. Face it, some businesses that get affiliates are NOT nice people, some are only open for a year then close, I dont know who works at that company... they could be a serial killer LOL Ok slight exag but you know what I mean...

    I vet the network I join (like Shareasale, and I trust them so they get my personals). I dont expect them to then pass those on to other people. SAS vetted me and that should be all thats needed.

    Pf COURSE the merchants want to know the sites, thats fine, just not my personals

  21. #21
    ABW Ambassador Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    As an affiliate I am very choosy about indy programs because that is an entity getting my personal information that I may not want having it. The same with CPA networks. And the merchants on them. I don't want every tom dick and harry that feels like looking at my personal information to have access to it just because I might want to join their affiliate program and look around. When I am comfortable *I* choose to share my information.
    Debbie - If you don't want merchants knowing your contact information, the best place to be is in a CPA network. No traditional CPA network that I know of allows advertisers any access to affiliate contact info, nor do merchants have tools at their disposal was exist in the traditional networks (list of affiliates, sites, stats per affiliate, etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Actually at CJ you *don't* have to have any sites listed at all. You add sites to get a separate tracking ID for them.

    The reason many affiliates *don't* want networks, or specific merchants to see their sites is because of the unethical ones that then take the intel from your sites and sales and use them to either make their own sites (employees doing it or the company doing it) to compete with you OR they share the information with other affiliates.
    I'm well aware that you don't need to have a site listed in CJ. I'm also well aware that when I used to go through applications on the advertiser end in CJ, I would decline all applicants not listing a website. Even if the affiliate is just doing search marketing, a site listed that explains that will do.

    As for affiliates not wanting networks/advertisers to see their sites, listing a site in a profile isn't the issue. The issue is the network/advertiser being able to see the referrer. In something like CJ, their fraud team pretty much hates people who cloak referrers, since it makes it harder to track down shady affiliates who are breaking rules. In CPA networks, dealing with affiliates who strip referrers is standard, since the "borrowing" (to put it nicely) of landing pages or landing page ideas is more common there, at least with some of the shadier networks.

  22. #22
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    I meant that I was choosy with *which* CPA networks get my personal information. I am well aware of how they work, I worked for a nice one And consulted with a couple of others. However, there are many created fly-by-night because anyone with $$ can buy the software to start their own CPA network.

    The point is that the *affiliate* gets to choose what info to share, for whatever reason.

    Yes, once a site sends traffic the merchant/network can track it and see what/who/where/when.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •