SocialSpark - Your Thoughts
    So I was doing a little research online today and came across the SocialSpark site. Turns out there are a lot of people on there that are kind of well-known in the business. I did some additional reading and found out they are from the same company that owns PayPerPost. Now, I had heard some bad things about PPP and how they really can affect the ranking of your site. So, I am basically just looking for everyone's thoughts on SocialSpark and how good or bad you think their business model is. I kind of already have my own basic idea, but was wanting to get opinions from my favorite people here. :-)

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    So I was doing a little research online today and came across the SocialSpark site. Turns out there are a lot of people on there that are kind of well-known in the business. I did some additional reading and found out they are from the same company that owns PayPerPost. Now, I had heard some bad things about PPP and how they really can affect the ranking of your site. So, I am basically just looking for everyone's thoughts on SocialSpark and how good or bad you think their business model is. I kind of already have my own basic idea, but was wanting to get opinions from my favorite people here. :-)

-sfcom
    I made several hundred dollars last year and early this year doing PPP paid blogs. I quickly lost all Google PR on the sites I used for PPP.

We (as in those of us doing regular PPP blogging) were told that SocialSpark would resolve some of the problems caused by PPP. But when I did a few SS paid posts, I noticed their requirements for disclosure of the paid posts was at least as rigid and probably more obvious than most of the PPP stuff.

1) I'm outraged that Google would penalize bloggers who do paid posts.
    2) I would probably do PPP before SS because the assignments are quicker and easier and better explained.
    3) I haven't done PPP or SS for about 6-8 months and probably wouldn't do it again unless I were desperate to make some money.
    4) Next month could be that month when we become desperate for some money.

I guess part of the difference, in my opinion, between SS and PPP is that PPP seems to be better organized and SS tends to be drifting around and not really decisive about what they want to do and how they want to do it.
    Generate more fake news.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    PPP = PR0. My PPP-ized blog started at PR0, and instead of gaining some PR at the next PR update like it should have, it stayed that way. Otherwise, it's a good way to make money, IF you can qualify for the offers. Which usually requires continuing to have PR or traffic (depending on advertiser criteria).

IMO it's worth it despite the PR0-age, IF you've got some blog that isn't ruling the engines anyway and is unlikely to do so. One thing to note, though, is that the high-paying opps are only available to high-traffic, high-PR blogs. So don't expect to get rich. But it's easy McDonald's money, and a nice way to get paid whether anyone buys anything or not. But if you have a high-traffic site (high enough to get those mega offers PPP likes to feature), you'd probably want to keep it that way, and make your ad money some other way...

But, they are a prick in that if you dare to take too much time off from posting (anything, not just PPP) to your blog (like I did), they'll perma-eject it. So if I want back in, I'd have to set up another, and think up 3 months worth of nonmonetized junk to post before even trying to get it in. Bah on that; the ROI wouldn't be worth it.

SocialSpark is not too well-explained. I checked it out (looking as a merchant) because they sent an email where they were talking about having affiliate-style offers. But when I got to the site, they only had a general overview that seemed aimed at bloggers--I couldn't find the important details for the merchant side (like how much it costs to set up, how the links work, etc.). It brings to mind the saying, "if you have to ask the price, it's too much!" Until they put the details out there in the open (or make them easily findable, if they're there but hidden on some back page) I will assume that the saying is correct.

As for using SS as a blogger, forget it! They REQUIRE obvious disclosure! LOL they might as well say they require you to wave a red flag in Goofle's face!

1) I'm outraged that Google would penalize bloggers who do paid posts.
    Agreed. They seem to have the delusion that the internet's purpose is to help them and their algo, and actually dare to get upset at the fact that no, the internet was NOT specifically built to serve them.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    But, they are a prick in that if you dare to take too much time off from posting (anything, not just PPP) to your blog (like I did), they'll perma-eject it. So if I want back in, I'd have to set up another, and think up 3 months worth of nonmonetized junk to post before even trying to get it in. Bah on that; the ROI wouldn't be worth it.
    Sounds good to me. I'm glad to hear they're being selective. If advertisers were to pay for stories on dead blogs they'd lose money quick. Any serious blog needs to be updated daily anyway.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Sounds good to me. I'm glad to hear they're being selective. If advertisers were to pay for stories on dead blogs they'd lose money quick. Any serious blog needs to be updated daily anyway.

- Scott
    Good for advertisers, maybe (as long as they don't get ridiculous and cause a lack of availability), but it sure sucks to find out about being bumped AFTER spending an hour or so writing a pitch! (It had said I was qualified when I took it, so I wrote the pitch, AND THEN it refused the submission with "you are not qualified blahblahblah" after I hit submit!)

And as for overall quality...they've always been pretty good as a whole, IMO...I was surprised to see their post (on their own blog) that said they were going through their entire network with their kicking-boots on...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread