Shopping Carts
    so...um...short question, can affiliate sites use shopping carts? it seems to me that would give the costomer the oppinion that they're buying from you...

it just interests me that people would buy from an affiliate site that just links to amazon or something when they can just search for their product on the actual site...

http and a telephoto
    Deleted your other thread, one is enough on the same topic....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

yeah, sorry about that, i felt this was a better place and i didn't think anyone was on to move it or anything...didn't mean to

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyodragon003
    so...um...short question, can affiliate sites use shopping carts? it seems to me that would give the costomer the oppinion that they're buying from you...

it just interests me that people would buy from an affiliate site that just links to amazon or something when they can just search for their product on the actual site...
    Judging by the conversion ratio of affs I had that tried setting up a faux-cart: If your "cart" redirects to the merchant site (which has a cart of its own), it just gives the customer the opinion that you are a phishing site! People don't trust it when they are presented with two carts for one purchase, and don't buy.

As for people buying from the aff site when they can just go to the merchant site (even if they have to bypass the merchant's search engine listing to get to yours)? It's a weirdness, but not one to complain about. Who knows why they do it?! There could be many reasons...could be that they didn't know about the merchant or forgot its URL. Or maybe your site explains the product better, does a better job of convincing them they need the Item from That Merchant, or your site "talks their language," or maybe they're just being obstinate and aren't going to click Google Listing #1!

Just accept the commissions when it happens, and smile.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

It is more likely that your "customers" would go somewhere else unless you have all the things that go with a merchant's site: The processor's logos and secure pages they would expect to see in the cart. When they add something to the cart what happens? Your link can't take them to the merchant's cart and they'll be wondering what's wrong when they go to buy and they're somewhere else on a product page.

You shouldn't try to trick your shoppers, try to provide a welcoming place to shop, with information about the products and the merchant so when they click a link it's not confusing and disorienting. If your site is only full of banners and links then yes, they could just as well search someplace else.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    There are a bunch of practical reasons why you can't use your own cart to sell stuff and then I suppose you order the stuff from the merchant.

First problem is that you have toi limit yourself to only one merchant for your cart b/c of sales tax and shipping. what do you do if one of the charges sales tax and one does? regarding shipping, it costs more to ship 2 products from 2 different merchants than to ship 2 products from one merchant.

Also, what if the price changes between the datafeed updates? How do you handle returns? How do you explain that their credit card was charged by the merchant they never knew they had visited? This might be illegal since you was never given authorization to actually charge it at the merchants site, only your own. What about coupons, how do you make it clear which products get the coupon and which don't.

The more you think about it, the more you realize there are just too many problems to try it.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Shopping carts are for the people who actually sell the stuff. I've seen feeds that link directly to the cart, but that's something else.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    It is more likely that your "customers" would go somewhere else unless you have all the things that go with a merchant's site: The processor's logos and secure pages they would expect to see in the cart. When they add something to the cart what happens? Your link can't take them to the merchant's cart and they'll be wondering what's wrong when they go to buy and they're somewhere else on a product page.

You shouldn't try to trick your shoppers, try to provide a welcoming place to shop, with information about the products and the merchant so when they click a link it's not confusing and disorienting. If your site is only full of banners and links then yes, they could just as well search someplace else.
    Exactly! You do not want to "trick" or "fool" your customers. Your visitors are your main source of revenue and you don't want to ruin your long-term relationship or your credibility with them by indicating or implying to them that one thing should happen if they click your link and somthing totally different happens.

Don't get me wrong, this is affiliate marketing and we all have creative ways of getting the click-through. Some of these ways might even be called "tricky" by some people. However, having your affiliate link read something like "buy it here", "download now!", or "find out more here" is different than having your link say "shopping cart".

You would be much better off by creating unique content that is valuable to your visitors and solves a problem of theirs. This would benifit you both in SEO and a higher CTR. This would be a much better use of your time than creating a shopping cart that would link to your merchant.

Unless you are leaving behind the world of affiliate marketing and wish to join that of drop shippment it is time to get rid of the cart.

P.S. I have nothing against drop shippers. They can be a great help to merchants.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread