Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bush dropping steel tariffs

Came down to either he shape up and stop the illegal tariffs or they were going to create economic havoc in states he must win to be re-elected.

Guess he feels more strongly about being re-elected than keeping those steel tariffs.

You know, I am starting to think he may not BE re-elected.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SSanf wrote: You know, I am starting to think he may not BE re-elected. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    One can only hope!

My question is: who are the Democrats going to come up with at this point to run against him? They seem very unfocused, with no one really standing out from the rest.

I'm not thrilled with the thought of another 4 years of a Bush in the White House (they should be outside, in the gardens... ) but I'm not sure the Democrats could come up with anyone better at this point.

Andy

Just Lurking
    Oh great another political topic ........ going for 10 pages of BS this time?

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Oh great another political topic ........ going for 10 pages of BS this time? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you dont like a thread why do you post in it? Why is it that some people only make one post in certain threads just to say they disagree with it and in some cases that it should be closed? If you dont like it just ignore it. People post on forums because they want to debate things. Stop dictating what people should discuss. We are not 1 dimensional affiliate machines, we are people with interests and beliefs. It is not BS to have an interest outside affiliate marketing. It is not BS that people have views that differ from yours. Stop trying to control everything. LET GO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buddha:
    Oh great another political topic ........ going for 10 pages of BS this time?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Not likely, there's not much to this to warrant that: Bush's initial intent was noble, he wanted to save some manufacturing jobs, pensions for past employees and the companies that are paying them with the tariff. It wasn't all that likely to work very well and a reevaluation of the effect so far, likely effect going forward, combined with the WTO ruling made the tariff a liability with no upside, so it was eliminated.

What astounds me is the very existence of the EU and the fact that they actually have some muscle.

Now, it looks like they can call the shots, or at least impact to a certain degree, US elections by their decisions. And, they are working on a military presence that could rival our own. What next?

Remember, I grew up with the Soviet Union and the Berlin wall.

P.S. Why do you care if there are threads that don't interest you? Just go to "Active topics" and choose one to your liking. If you use "New posts", just scroll past responses to this thread. If you just can't help taking a peek because you are just too curious, don't complain to me. I can't help you.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on December 01, 2003 at 10:53 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    oh, but you are mistaken about GW, SSANF...

AFTER he is re-elected (and he will be), then he will lower the boom on 'em again. This is all so temporary.

Andy,

Get ready, 'cause four more years is what we'll get. We don't need anymore bleeding heart liberal, democrat do-gooders using our taxes to further an out of control welfare system. Democrats, with their war on poverty (JFK and gang) have created a monster that has consumed, and consumed, and consumed. We need republicans in office. For that matter, republicans should be the only ones running. Democrats need to take themselves out of the picture completely.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

If spending by Government is your concern, this administration has gotten way out of line. Even the republicans are distressed over it and, if you read the news, they are becoming pretty vocal about it. That is one thing that is making me think he might not get re-elected.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Republicans used to believe in fiscal responsibility, limited international entanglements and limited government. We have lost our way. Chuck Hagel <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Congress 'spending money like a drunken sailor'... McCain, R-Ariz. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Note: I am a Republican, just not a Bush Republican.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We don't need anymore bleeding heart liberal, democrat do-gooders using our taxes to further an out of control welfare system. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I couldn't agree more.

I have one real concern, though. If he is this bad facing re-election, he will have nothing to stop him from going off in any unpredictable, ill advised direction if he is in fact re-elected. I find that a very scary thought.

[This message was edited by SSanf on December 01, 2003 at 11:21 AM.]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> For that matter, republicans should be the only ones running. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. Not that I don't like Republicans--but monopolies of any kind breed trouble.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

The EU have some muscle, its very much the beginnings of a united states of europe. The U.S. government are also struggling franticly to prevent a joint european military force. I guess the U.S. has got used to having a military monopoly and is nervous about it. Its not exactly a headline on tv but its more difficult to censor the internet. These tariffs were very much at the top of the agenda behind th scenes during dubyas recent visit to london.

I grew up with the cold war too, I prefered it that way. IMO, all the loser countries were behind a single wall. They had a better idea of how to bomb a country back into the stone age back then too. Whats the point of having nukes if we're not going to use them? Pussy politicians dont even theaten other nations with them anymore. The cold war made the world a peaceful place.

I think he will be re-elected because he has no competition. A choice of two or three for president is not exactly democracy anyway, they have more choice than that in russia!
    Whats up with that?

ABW Ambassador
    >all the loser countries were behind a single wall

jezzzzzzzzz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A choice of two or three for president is not exactly democracy anyway, they have more choice than that in russia!
    Whats up with that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have as much choice as we have eligible citizens. Not that long ago, a relatively obscure peanut farmer from Georgia was elected President.

The reason it seems like so few is that there is elimination of all but the strongest contenders at the grass roots and primary level.

However, if a person obtains a following, they certainly can become President. In fact, though a person can't be forced to serve, they can almost be drafted to the job by the populace. I think Colin Powell just about was. He declined to run because his wife didn't want him to be President. Too bad he is not as popular after Bush.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    Note: I am a Republican, just not a Bush Republican.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You didn't happen to register to vote somewhere in the late 1700's earily 1800's did you?

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Actually, I joined the Republican party during the Clinton era when I realized that the Republican's good fiscal track record was the only hope to break the cycle of poverty and degradation brought about by the welfare system.

Now, the Republicans have gone haywire with money!

No, I didn't vote for Clinton.

Interesting aside: When I joined the Republican party, I actually sent them money. They spent all I sent them on soliciting me for more money!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Whats the point of having nukes if we're not going to use them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be afraid - very afraid...

“There are only two settings, stun and kill...it would be best not to confuse them.”
    --Malcom Reed

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >You know, I am starting to think he may not BE re-elected.

Let's hope so, for the sake of the planet.

He's destroyed years of environmental protection work, put his corporate funders and religious fanatics into most of the positions of power, and the USA is fast becoming a fascist regime (easy to do when you tell the minions it's all for their protection and hand out lots of flags for them to wave at you as you sneak around the place).

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

As a Pagan, I totally share and embrace your concerns for Mother's well being.

(Mother Earth)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    You know, I am starting to think he may not BE re-elected.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Here's where I'm puzzled, you appear to be delirously happy with your perception that the EU accomplished a reduction in protectionism by the US, presumably because you feel it is a negative for Bush. You're happy now because for some reason you think maybe Bush won't be re-elected because of a single issue, which leads me to believe you are for one of the 9 Dem's running...

But, each of them leans more toward hermetically sealing the US in varying degrees (Kucinich would erect a wall as high as the moon, while others would only go as high as the Empire State Building), which would certainly far eclipse a singe steel tariff, so I guess I'm just not following the logic in your happiness...

I just think it's a real shame that we don't have ANYONE running that is willing to say, "This is all bull ! The deficit is skyrocketing, people don't trust their elected officials, politicians lie and get away with it, corruption is running rampant, lobbyists are in control, and IT IS GOING TO STOP RIGHT NOW!"

Then they need to DO IT when they are elected. That would send a very strong message to all the career politicians who don't do what they say they're going to do.

And I'm horrified to think what shape Earth will be in after another 4 years of disrespect under our current leadership.

Andy

yay! the elections are over! Bush for another 4yrs!

[this pre-emptive post was brought to you by Jack Daniels and some mud slide.]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Bush is sure doing a terrific job so far. What a great President! Can't wait til he is reelected, 2-3 years from now the whole middle east will be trying to deal with a free and democratic Iraq. Most of those tyrant countries in the region will be under all sorts of pressure to improve their citizens lot or get out. The long term outlook for the average arab citizen is going to look a whole lot better in a few years.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

ABW Ambassador
    I read that and was waiting for the punchline. Maybe I missed it, lemme read it again.

Hmm....

I never got my T-Shirt

Sure is interesting seeing the way things are portrayed inside the US versus outside the US. I'm a US citizen (and d*mn proud of it) on assignment overseas, so I see local newscasts, BBC World News, etc.

From this side of the pond, the steel issue has been presented as a boondoggle for Bush - showing how little he understood the world economy from the get-go. The tarrif raised the steel prices in the US, increasing manufacturing costs for US automakers et al, and make them less competetive with the Koreans and Europeans. It didn't create any new jobs in the US, and it's questionable that it saved any. It was a short-sighted political maneuver that was clear as glass according the to the international press.

As far as outside pressure goes, the EU isn't the only group threatening retribution - tarrif pressure is being applied on the US from all over the world - the EU is just the one organization you can point to that has some (and I emphasise SOME) organization. In reality, the EU is the most disorganized lot of countries you've ever seen. They can't agree on anything and when they do it isn't worth the paper it is written on. At best they can be a social-welfare oversight group, putting the cabosh on big mergers etc. But politically their shoes have been tied together since they first came together.

I'll save my rant on Bush for another time, but I'm not coming home until he's gone. I hope that will be in about a year, but my guess is that I'll be over here longer.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Bush is sure doing a terrific job so far. What a great President! Can't wait til he is reelected, 2-3 years from now the whole middle east will be trying to deal with a free and democratic Iraq. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO I cant wait to hear the punch line too.

I hope there is a punch line, maybe you missed the news about getting the troops the hell out of there by june 2004. The phrase thats being used in political circles is "exit strategy".

Call it retreating to a safe distance or advancing to the rear but this whole mess would have been a lot shorter if someone just told georgie what that red button he carries around is for. Know what I mean?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I'm sure glad we've got a President strong enough to weather the short sightedness that seems to plague American politics. A weaker President would have caved, and we'd be reading about terrorists destroying our cities right now.

Personally, the main reason topics like this should be closed is that there are a couple of Bush haters here that want to dominate the forum with their vitriolic comments about what an evil guy Bush is, and I get tired of seeing the thread titles all the time. If there was a way I could click to 'ignore' threads started by specific users, that would make ABW much more useful.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast