Newbie Website Questions
    I'm new to the affiliate scene and i have been messing around with Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 for several days just playing around and i've come up with a very very simple template for an affiliate site, however it has no search or category functionality.
    When i go snooping around other affiliate sites i see that they have basic search functionality and most often have categories in their sites.

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on adding those functions to my website, is there any other way than creating all the categories and then manualy putting each product into the different categories, because i really don't fancy spending all that time doing that. :3

Tried looking at PopShops or GoldenCan? You need to join programs for the merchants who sell the products you want to feature, but then you sign up and they offer ways to pop in entire stores full of stuff with a few minutes of work. Of course it's up to you to make the site worth visiting, something unique and adding value to the visitors. That's what makes the difference between lots of traffic and barely hangin' in there.

um...wow i had no idea thanks for informing me, is this how most people make their shops when running an affiliate site?

also, quick question, if i attach a blog (with product reviews and discounts etc.) will that be spidered by google and will i MAYBE gain a higher page rank with that? i was planning to do it anyway but i was just wondering :3 is that the content you were talking about?

PopShops and GoldenCan are just two ways to showcase products. Better ways would be to study up on php and MySQL and use datafeeds from the merchants. So much depends on your level of learning that it's pretty hard for anyone to tell you what you should be working on. Another great tool is WebMerge, they have a forum here too. You should be reading all over the place here, to help you determine where your skills intersect with what you want to do.

Anything you add to help your visitors out will help you succeed. If you please your visitors, you'll probably be pleasing Google too. Even if you put up a full blown site tomorrow it does take time to climb anywhere near the top and there are thousands of other people doing the same thing so it's a good idea to do some research and planning before you jump in. Be prepared for results to take some time.

Do some searches for terms that people might be using to find the kind of site you have in mind. That can give you a good idea of who you have to be better than to succeed.

thanks 2busy, despite your name you don't seem too busy to help me

i've looked into both goldencan and popshops, however goldencan doesn't have a large selection of merchants, and popshops seems to a) not allow search feature unless i purchase the $30/month plan and b) only allows 100 items in one shop, so i guess i'll be learning alot so that i can create my own hope to see you around the forums more i promise by that time i'll be a little more knowledgeable about things and i won't be asking so many questions

As for search, sign up for Google AdSense and put a google search engine on your site. Not only will it allow your visitors to search your site (and also the rest of the web) but you can earn a percentage of the ad clicks generated.

CPA Network Rep
    If I were you, I'd spend more of my time drafting a marketing plan and preparing some seo for the site rather than building it.

Let someone else build the site for you. Try 99 Designs! You can post a project and set a minimum bid and designers bid on building your site. I usually get very nice sites for about $250-400.

If you don't want to go that route, you can always set up a wordpress blog on your domain and find a sweet template. Wordpress is honestly the greatest content management system, not only that, but search engines love blog platforms.

Since you are just starting out, I would use one of the free web design tools such as blogger, Ning, or WordPress. Once you have more experience and know what you want, then it might be worth shelling out a few hundred for a specific site design.

I spent a lot of time in my early years learning Dreamweaver, but now I never use it since I can have better sites with a hosted application such as Ning. My sites are always improving as Ning rolls out new features. The platform is also flexible enough so if I want to make some specific changes or something, I can do that.

Site creation has become the easy part with the free tolls available online, the hard part is getting traffic to your site in a profitable way.

php code genertors for mysql db
    Hi Friends,

I came across these two sites:

1. Appgini from http://www.bigprof.com/appgini/index.php
    2. PHPmaker from http://www.hkvstore.com/phpmaker/

Can these be of any use in creating custom code/website from datafeeds?

- Rightus
    Last edited by Rightus; January 25th, 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread