PPC Insurance Leads cost prohibitive?
    I decided a couple of days ago to give PPC marketing a try for generating Insurance leads. I was painfully aware of how competitive the insurance arena was before jumping in but decided to give it a try. After researching the keywords I discovered the cost is more per click than the payout for the actual "lead" commission I would receive.

So needless to say my bids were too low to even qualify for an acceptable quality score which could also mean that my site is irrelevant. I am aware that page content is important for SEO but how can you know what google considers useful and relevant content? I've looked at other top Insurance sites and they seem to be just a page with a quote request form and some general info taken from the Insurance Information Institue.

For those who are marketing Insurance PPL programs and offers how have you faired with google and the quality score requirement?
    Last edited by wmoore731; December 7th, 2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Your quality score relates to the landing page and the site it is on, higher bids won't up your quality score. Don't worry about "what Google considers useful and relevant content" just build a page that is factual and informative that a person landing there would want to click through. Make it unique with as much relevant information as you can offer: Why, What, How, Who, Where, When. There's your quality score.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Your quality score relates to the landing page and the site it is on, higher bids won't up your quality score. Don't worry about "what Google considers useful and relevant content" just build a page that is factual and informative that a person landing there would want to click through. Make it unique with as much relevant information as you can offer: Why, What, How, Who, Where, When. There's your quality score.
    Thanks 2busy,(Ironic ,your screen name would suggest that you would be the last to reply... not the first)

I though the pages I built were very relevant and does address the Why, What, How, Who, etc., however I dont know if people searching for insurance quotes are looking for more information or if they just want to be able to get the quote. I've tried using both broad and exact keywords with no change in the results. I've even tried to weed out people looking for just information so that I can target the surfers looking to compare insurance quotes.

I'll keep testing to see what happens, but its hard for me to believe that some of the "made for adsense" sites that have no original content and are just ad sites answer the Who, Why, How.......well you know the rest.

Thanks again-

ABW Ambassador
    Have you considered trying a different niche? Insurance is extremely competitive

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Have you considered trying a different niche? Insurance is extremely competitive
    Considered it....but I have been online in several other competitive industries and I just don't see myself quiting. It would be easy, but not very business like.

Any other suggestions besides quiting?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by wmoore731
    Considered it....but I have been online in several other competitive industries and I just don't see myself quiting. It would be easy, but not very business like.

Any other suggestions besides quiting?
    Trying something different is NOT quitting. Nobody told you that you should quit

There are several industries where you're competing aggressively with a lot of ignorant advertisers. These are often inexperienced people who think, "hey, if it costs me $5 per click to get traffic from Google, then there must be a way to profit from that traffic, since other people are paying that much." Of course, they're wrong on both sides: the competing bidders include many clueless newbies who overbid, and of course competing bidders may get better placement for a much lower bid rate (due to quality score and CTR performance).

It's also important to realize that Google's Quality Score does not necessarily make sense, at least superficially. If you have a web page called "Green Snickergundles," which talks about "Green Snickergundles" and clearly is focused on that topic alone, with the term "Green Snickergundles" repeated "often enough, but not too often," you may still find that Google awards a Quality Score of "OK" or even "Poor" for your bid on the keyword "Green Snickergundles." Logically, you'd expect that this fact pattern should always earn a "Great" quality score. It's not.

Mark, you are absolutely right. I checked a few other forums who had users discussing this exact issue. The landing pages were targeted with good content. Sites that ranked well for organic search and keyword relevancy were now being given low quality scores or had their keywords turned off.

Although I have made several landing pages and moved around some content Google is still telling me that my ads are "active" but have a low quality score. Most of the Insurance content can be found on the Insurance Information Institutes website, and it is pretty extensive. So some of my content comes from their site and I have also added some of my own content.
    I guess I will keep playing around with it until I find the right combo of content and quality.

Contrary to this I have a large retail site with approx. 20,000+ products focused on Law Enforcement, and Tactical gear. I pay very little for these keywords and my pages are no where near optimized fully, but I get excellent placement, even with mediocre CTR of 4%.

Go figure.

I don't have a lot to offer here, but my experience has been that sometimes when I just 'turn off' an ad for a while and wait, it sometimes comes back with a better quality score.

Also in some of these competitive areas, sometimes you are competing with 'scam' sites that might have something else going on behind the scenes, i.e. they will always have a better ROI than a legitimate site.

Simcat, that works sometimes but unfortunately not in this case. I guess I'm just frustarated that even after building targeted landing pages just for adwords its still not good enough. When you see a site that contains nothing but adsense ads and not one original line of text get top ranking, it becomes obvious that for the right price you can buy a higher quality score.

Ok I feel better now- off to MSN and Yahoo.

If you are competing nationally, chances are, you have little chance of getting the ad-word exposure you need.

You may want to consider a few things:

Getting more territorial, and competing with more local players. Try using your city/cities/counties for search keyphrases.

Also, bring your business to you...If you don't have a minimum of 2000-3000 keywords, you just ain't gonna hit all the possible options that people may be typing into searches. There is software available for fairly cheap that will help you speed up the keyword process.

There are a myriad of other things you can do to get ahead of the countless others that hit PPC advertising with no real direction.

This is a good place to start...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread