Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,

And a belated Thanksgiving!!

I know the topic, ie the question, sounds crude, but I don't know how to put it in a more pleasant manner. So to all you people, please do not be offended.

I'm just curious, how do you suggest a 'newbie' start making money from affiliate programs? Through PPCs (which is going to burn a hole in my pocket in my pocket), or to build a site, or how?

Thanks in advance for your 'teachings'.

Cheers,

Melvin Ng

ABW Ambassador
    imho
    Build a product specific site and RANK it in Google.

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

this book is a good start imho
    Making Money Online
    plus read abestweb of course

Hi Melvin,

I'm fairly new to this also. I've been a new webmaster and an affiliate now for 5 months and it's slow going at first (just now picking up). Like Adam said you need to build a site. One that you feel people will want to visit. Get your site listed in the search engines. The more visitors to your site the better!

I don't recommend you go the PPC route as you'll quickly find it to be very expensive. I have read in this forum that some are successful using PPCs but I wouldn't do that with a new site.

You will constantly change your site as you learn what works for you. I know my site is very different from when I first started. Also read this and other forums religeously. It has sure helped me a lot! Ask questions and don't be afraid to try different things on your site.

Sit down and plan out your site before you build it. It makes building your site easier. If you are just learning web building this will be more difficult. You may want to start out with an easy web building progrgam like FrontPage. Maybe someone knows of another program that's easy to use.

It's a lot of work! Nothing happens over night in the affiliate business. Hang in there and you'll start to see the money come in.

Good luck!

BradleyB

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Melvin

Well I can give you the fast launch to getting going as I have a number of fast launch sites available for Merchants we work with that will help you get up and running and get some basic understanding of the possibilities. Sites available right now are

Mondera - mail to Patrick AT Mondera DOT com
    NetMagazines - mail to John AT NetMagazines DOT com
    Vegas Experts - mail to vegasexperts AT webstudio-1 DOT com

Sign up for the affiliate programs on LinkShare.com and ShareaSale.com and then email for the sites

Also drop by our partner support sites to learn more and read read read and read ABW.

Cheers

Chris

<font size="1"> Web Studio-1 Solutions.
    http://www.webstudio-1.com

Low Threshold : High Return Days : Excellent Support : 100% Parasite Free
    Mondera.com - Netmagazines.com - KegWorks.com - Left On Main - Pierced Body
    DriveWerks.com - DeluxeGrills.com - Irish Photo Shop - Vegas Experts

<FONT COLOR=red size="1"> A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope </font></font>

ABW Ambassador
    Build a site with merchants that will convert for you. If you find the right merchants, then even if you don't get a lot of traffic, you can still make some money.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How do you make money? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait til you see a guy wearing a dress then kill him and steal his country.

hand over foot

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    hand over foot<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

I'm making it in a pathetic trickle, at the moment...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can always join up with a winner like this one. They not only have a database of every real and imagined coupon/freebee/free shipping/rebate but auto-generate copywrite/trademark domain pilfering URLs to spam the SE's. Add in a Adwords campaign targeting other affiliates (Adsense) merchants page content with a SAS affiliate program and you can make money too.

"Earn decent commissions from one of the leading online couponing webistes. We have over 200 of the best online retailers to choose from. Offer your visitors nothing but straight up savings in both their time and their money! We pay on a per lead basis as well as a per click, so no matter what you will make some money by sending us a visitor! What are you waiting for sign up today and start earning!

www.100BigCoupons.com has teamed up with shareasale.com to offer a simple affiliate signup process, so that you can begin earning commission payments from your website as soon as possible."

View the browser page source file to see how to spam Google with incnet offerings and get a leg up on the other couponers. Jump right over an to SAS and push this winner.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    My advice, do the opposite of what mike says and does and if you can't understand what mike is saying, don't worry.

I have never seen another am bash so many other merchants.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>how do you make money<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>good question.

You optimize a bunch of shopping links pages to be found by the people using the major search engines. Then you plaster the hell out of your site with advertiser's product ads/content ads (give Google Bot something to eat). And, since most adnetworks have tracking and reporting screwed up, or allow thiefware companies to get all the credit for your sales, make sure to place adsense ads all over your site. That way, no matter what, your advertisers will have to shell out some dough for all your time.

ADSENSE! it pays!

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

Ironic isn't it Big Chuck. Some CPC script kiddies probably have a script in place to rape Adsense whacking those Adwords couponer's accounts triggered by domain- product and popular shopping keywords......

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Geez...I'm so overwhelmed with all these info.

As much as I think that building a site to promote affiliate programs, I, however do have the following concerns:

1) How would I know if that particular program is converting decently? I mean, it'd be a waste to build up a site and not have the results to match, Yes, No?

2) If a site is to be built, should it be concentrating on just one particular niche? Or should it be a 'shopping mall' concept? I'm not sure which gets ranked higher in a SE, all other things being equal, for a targetted keyword.

3) Correct me if I'm wrong, this would mean I'd have to be a SE expert to rank my site well in order to get traffic in, unless I'm willing to burn a hole in my pocket using PPCs.

Chris, how can I send you a private mail? Have some questions.

CJShoppingNetwork, I've read your 'success' and kudos for making this work for you. When I read of some of the other 'BIG GUYS', they seems so out of grasp. At least I can relate to your success.

Chet, pardon me, but I do not really understand about doing the opposite of Mike and about the bashing part.

And Mike, in the first place, I did not really get what you were trying to say about spamming Google with incnet offerings (what's that?) and jumping over to SAS (another what's what??) to push this winner. Some kind of a killer winning strategy??

And to the rest, thanks so much for sharing. Do keep 'em coming.

Melvin Ng

"Do NOT bite the hand that FEEDS you."

Melvin there are 2 camps of greed driven affiliates both fueled by using incents (rewards/coupons/points etc.). One is the BHO browser plug-ins who use the universally hated popup to hijack affiliate traffic at the point of sale. Very effective and the ultimate sleezy move. The other is to spamm the crap out of Google and other SE's with trademark/product brand keywords tied to some incent offers weither real or imagined. Even if these same incents are automatically included in every transaction rung thru their etailer cash register with no affiliate promotion necessary.

You see the AM's cater exclusively to both of these types of affiliates by freely giving them the incents to use as spam food. It also fuels the Duper Opt-Out e-mailers and mixes real well with those who want to monopolize the SE's with multiple 50,000 page datafeed product cloned sites.

The idea is to placate the domain bound value-add affiliate into continuing to experiment with merchants to see who can convert while the 2 incent groups pick off the traffic at the point of sale. One with incnet reminder popup and the other with the blatent "place incent code here" box in their checkout procedure.

The majority of AM's go along with this as it takes way too much time to think up and plan high conversion landing pages in comparison to announcing this month's 3 coupon deals. Datafeeds from inception were begged for as a means to allow one's affiliate sales force using them to dominate SE positions and bury your competition and the actual merchant from the SERPS. Merchant AM's figure it is the affiliates mis-using datafeeds who get branded as SE spammers as they escape the wrath of shoppers seeking multiple choices.

It's the Ad whore game played to dilute the impact and effective voices of real value add affiliate marketers, who get marginalized by the incent hijackers trashing their conversion ratios. Until the networks publish the real conversion ratio of their merchants ( network average # of clicks to produce one sale) the game will continue.

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    "It's the Ad whore game played to dilute the impact and effective voices of real value add affiliate marketers,"

Ah, not only dupers, parasites, BHO's, couponers, feed affiliates, spammers, but also ad whores are the reason you're the worst converting affiliate here. I guess you're not responible for your poor conversions? You always post about pre-sell is the way and thats what you've done to failure. Maybe you're not doing pre-sell the right way? Little too texty?

Melvin to make money just find out what merchants Mike can't convert with and promote them and pay attention to people who actually make money, not to those who blame their failings on everybody else.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

ABW Ambassador
    Should you even be posting in this thread? From your own stats:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...505#6766030505

Made $295.01 from all the networks
    Conversions
    CJ 1/263
    BF 1/119
    LS 1/608
    Out of 82 LS merchants you sent traffic too, you only converted with 1, the other 81 you sent 2,868 and 0 sales.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

The only way to know how a merchant is going to do for you is to dive right in and try them out for yourself.

#1 Affiliates might say they don't convert just because they don't want a competitor.

#2 We might have completely different strategies.

#3 You might find a niche market that other affiliates have overlooked.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Little too texty? (In reference to Mike's site)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's more a presentation problem (site design) rather than how much text there is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And Mike, in the first place, I did not really get what you were trying to say about spamming Google with incnet offerings (what's that?) and jumping over to SAS (another what's what??) to push this winner. Some kind of a killer winning strategy??
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he was being sarcastic calling that a "winner!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Correct me if I'm wrong, this would mean I'd have to be a SE expert to rank my site well in order to get traffic in, unless I'm willing to burn a hole in my pocket using PPCs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but that sounds on-the-money to me. Even "highly bookmarkable" sites have to get their first traffic from somewhere, and that somewhere is usually the SEs. One thing--don't forget you can promote YOUR site using PPCs (instead of sending traffic directly to the merchant)! Plus, that way, you get a chance to add some sales spin. This is important if you have a merchant whose own sales spin sucks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If a site is to be built, should it be concentrating on just one particular niche? Or should it be a 'shopping mall' concept? I'm not sure which gets ranked higher in a SE, all other things being equal, for a targetted keyword.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try 'em all! I have both types, and none of them seem to have an explicit advantage for long. I prefer malls because if one merchant dies or messes up, it's just one part of the site--no big deal. Niche sites seem to be chancier--sometimes they start out great, but other times they bomb! Bombing categories in malls have their effects mitigated by the fact that there are usually other categories on the site that are doing well.

But you should try different methods for yourself. What is good for one person may be junk for another.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Chris, how can I send you a private mail? Have some questions.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click on his screen name and a drop-down will appear. One of the things is "invite Chris-WSO to a private topic." Click that and the PM window will open.

To read INcoming PMs, click "My Space" out of the nav bar at the top of threads and select "Private Topics."

One last thing, I've seen that Heyder's "#1" point is true a lot more often than it used to be. Also, some merchants convert well for some and not for others (probably due to differing strategies), so even a truthful claim of "MerchantX doesn't convert!" may not apply to how YOU would do with them.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think he was being sarcastic calling that a "winner!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly speaking, I didn't understood what was the strategy. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to affiliate marketing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One thing--don't forget you can promote YOUR site using PPCs (instead of sending traffic directly to the merchant)! Plus, that way, you get a chance to add some sales spin. This is important if you have a merchant whose own sales spin sucks! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would presume to use PPCs to try out the merchants to ensure that they are converting well enough before actually building a full fledge site for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But you should try different methods for yourself. What is good for one person may be junk for another. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed a very valid 'conclusion'. I guess I'll have to start somewhere and give it a try. Probably it's because I'm too afraid to 'fail' as in taking a looooooooong time to turn in a profit. When that happens, I'd be doubting my strategies if it's working or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One last thing, I've seen that Heyder's "#1" point is true a lot more often than it used to be. Also, some merchants convert well for some and not for others (probably due to differing strategies), so even a truthful claim of "MerchantX doesn't convert!" may not apply to how YOU would do with them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fully AGREE with you on what Heyder said.

Thanks for the heads up guys (and girls). I didn't expect such response to a somewhat threatening question.

Melvin Ng

"Do NOT bite the hand that FEEDS you."

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Thanks Leader, Got it Melvin, replied already .

Cheers

Chris

ABW Ambassador
    Quote:
    I guess I'll have to start somewhere and give it a try. Probably it's because I'm too afraid to 'fail' as in taking a looooooooong time to turn in a profit. When that happens, I'd be doubting my strategies if it's working or not.
    End Quote:

I doubt there is anyone on this board who hasn't failed many times....it's not the failures that count, it's the getting back up again and trying something different until you get the thing that works for you.

That's why 95% of affiliates make little or nothing....they try something, it doesn't make them a great deal of money so they say "Affiliate marketing doesn't work" and quit. It works! You just have to start, then don't finish.

There is a great deal of wonderful and useful information on this board (I know it's helped me a lot)....there is also a lot of crap....keep a pair of hip boots and a pound of salt nearby at all times.

One time a reporter was talking to Thomas Edison. People don't realize he went through 5,000 different alloys while trying to perfect the filament for the light bulb. The reporter asked, "What keeps you going failure after failure ?"

Mr Edison replied, "I haven't failed at all. I know know of 5000 alloys that don't work."

It's the same thing with affiliate marketing.

One of the problems with a lot of affiliate marketers is that they want it all for free. Free hosting, free advertising, free search engine placement, etc. The brick/mortar world expects to spend money on advertising, equipment, building leases and so should you. It doesn't have to be a lot. Domains are cheap and hosting can be had for as little as $5/month.

Personally I like PPC. For $50 I can send a merchant 500 targeted visitors. That should give you a pretty good idea if the merchant converts. If it does then buy a domain and build a site or ad then to your mall.

Read the forums here. You will get an idea of what is working for some people.

Some of the most lucrative areas are also the most competitive. These include casino, adult, pharmacy and travel. I would stay away from those areas at first.

Personally I have pretty good luck with niche topics. I like to pluck the low fruit off the trees.

Cheers,

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

ABW Ambassador
    It takes time and effort. If you are willing to try a lot of different things, then you will probably end up making some money.
    How much you make depends a lot on which advice you take, and which advice you throw out with the garbage.

I have tried so many different merchants, some convert, some are worthless. You just have to find the right balance.

Some merchants require highly targeted traffic before they will convert the visitors into buyers. For example, if you send people who are looking for 'cheap jewelry' to Mondera, then you will probably never get a sale.
    However, if you send people looking for 'high quality jewelry', then Mondera is the perfect merchant.

There are literally millions of people looking for products to buy (especially this time of year) You need to make sure that some of those people are visiting your site, rather than a competitor.
    How many visitors you get to your site depends largely on how many different products you offer (products, services, whatever it is you want to promote)
    If you have 100 different sites all dealing with a different market, then you are more likely to have a large number of visitors than if you only have 1 site promoting one product.

Start small. Build one site. Find merchants that fit into the area you want to promote. Mondera for high end jewelry etc.

Make lots of quality pages for your site. DO NOT spam Google, this is counter-productive
    Once you have built your pages, and the visitors come to your site, you will be able to see if you are sending the right people to the right place.

Do not be afraid to make changes.

Remove a merchant if they are not working for you. If you cannot contact the affiliate manager (or whatever name they may call themselves) then do not promote the merchant. Only promote merchants that you can have personal contact with the affiliate representative through e-mail or phone or whatever way makes you comfortable.

DO NOT make the mistake of sticking to one rigid outdated set of rules that you think will work. Be willing to make changes to see what will work for you.

Once you have figured out how to find the right merchants for each type of product or service, then start a new site with a different set of merchants

Keep doing this over and over again. Find a merchant, build a site, find another merchant, build another site. On and on and on. If each site is different than the others, you will never be banned for duplicating content.

Do it right, and you will make a lot of money

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast