Lightbulb Ideas?
    So, while i've been researching affiliate marketing for going on 3 months straight now, and i know the basics (long learning curve huh?) im unable to really think of any ideas for a good affiliate site that would have both content and be a good affiliate program all together.

i guess this is the ultimate question for all affiliate advertisers and i really can't expect for one "magic bullet" answer (great post by the way) i would really just like some ideas that may have worked in the past (and still work now)
    now I'm not trying to steal anyone's ideas or anything like that, so if you're unwilling to share some examples of what you're doing or what someone else has done in the past i understand.

a virtual to anyone who makes me go "AHA!"

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyodragon003
    i would really just like some ideas that may have worked in the past (and still work now)
    Sites that are useful and fulfill a need.

The most successful sites are built around your own personal interests. What do you know about, what interests you, what could you write about all day long? That makes adding content easy and you work in subjects that relate to the products you're promoting. Everyone has something that they know more about/are better at than their friends. Start a site about your own interests and experiences. It can grow into a lot more.

yeah, i've heard all that generic stuff before but i'm looking for more ideas as to how the site should be built? website w/ product reviews + blog about subject, just product reviews? just a blog? a catalog that compares prices on various items? look at that i'm helping myself out...

feel free to add?

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    There is no how to manual so instead of wasting time trying to find one, you should be working on your site.

What works for me isn't going to work for you and vice versa.

I'm saying that with a smile on my face, not in a nasty tone.

I would just start with something your interested in, then choose affiliate products to offer on the site.

ooook well just as an FYI i suppose a better word for the title would have been "Inspiration" as with the word "Ideas" you all seem to think that i'm looking for a magical way to make money instantly online. which i'm not.

I agree with finding something you are interested in.

In terms of how to do it, start building lots of keyword researched content and try to build a site people will return to.

In the short term, create some sales pages and try buying PPC traffic directly into those sales pages to see if you can sell something. Test the headline and the call to action along with all other aspects fo your sales page to see what gets people to click on the link to the product page or merchant site. Then see how many clicks it takes to get a sale. See if you can improve you performance by changing things or making a better sales pitch.

I like the idea of building a blog or community site, but it can take years of effort to build a steady readership and email list.

Decide on what type of products will dovetail into the kind of content you enjoy writing about.

Determine how much you can afford for site design. Are you designing the site yourself of having it done professionally? If you have the skill set to build a highly functional site and an eye for design that should be of enormous help in increasing your profit margin.

Do look into all the major affiliate networks for potential merchants. Visit their stores and see if they work smoothly and if they have merchandise that is unique and/or very competitive.

Discover what works and what doesn't by checking sites with similar themes to the one you are planning and find out which ones are garnering are lot of visitors and which are tanking. Google ranking isn't everything but it should give you a rough idea of what is getting potential customers to a site and what isn't.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

try thinking about the things you buy online....what was the last thing you researched online? what are things you hear your friends and family talking about buying or researching?

then do some research on the topics and pick one. also consider related items that could easily be included or mentioned in the site

superCool had a great idea this morning...just sitting here in his home office he decided that he could really use something (he NEEDs it). so he did some research and now has a new project for the back burner.

keep your mind open - you will find something

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    1. Put down some ideas on paper.
    2. Apply that paper to your wall.
    3. Find a dart.
    4. Throw the dart at the paper.
    5. Choose the idea the dart landed on.

I used sites I liked as a model then adapted them to fit the area I'm interested in.

List your favorite five things to do or collect. Pick the one you know the most about, google it and see what products you come up with. You can also list the last five things you bought online and ask ten friends/family the same thing then pick one of the recurring items.

Write some articles or stories related to subject, add products, product reviews, anything. The more passion and knowledge you have on the subject the better. Find your own style because any format or approach may work.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

sadly i dont think there is a magic bullet for success in affiliate marketing. altho i wish there were, haha.

however, i would have to agree with what a lot of others here have said about picking something you're interested in and have a good knowledge of. you definitely dont want to be venturing into something for money if you have no clue as to where to start.

in the end tho, i think it comes down to hard work and persistence. keep at it, and i am sure you will find something that will work for you and will help u make a few extra bucks. but dont rely in believing there is a magic formula or shortcut to success.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread