Bowl games were announced...
    Anyone looking forward to any of the match ups?

BCS Games

BCS Championship - Jan. 8 - Miami, FL - Oklahoma vs Florida

Fiesta Bowl - Jan. 5 - Glendale, AZ - Texas vs Ohio State

Sugar Bowl - Jan. 2 - New Orleans, LA - Alabama vs Utah

Rose Bowl - Jan 1 - Pasadena, CA - USC vs Penn State

Orange Bowl - Jan. 1 - Miami, FL - Virginia Tech vs Cincinnati

Non-BCS Games

GMAC - Jan. 6 - Mobile, Ala. - Tulsa vs. Ball State
    International - Jan. 3 - Toronto - Connecticut vs. Buffalo
    Liberty - Jan. 2 - Memphis - East Carolina vs. Kentucky
    Cotton - Jan. 2 - Dallas - Texas Tech vs. Mississippi
    Gator - Jan. 1 - Jacksonville - Clemson vs. Nebraska
    Capital One - Jan. 1 - Orlando - Michigan State vs. Georgia
    Outback - Jan. 1 - Tampa - Iowa vs. South Carolina
    Chick-fil-A - Dec. 31 - Atlanta - LSU vs. Georgia Tech
    Insight - Dec. 31 - Tempe, Ariz. - Minnesota vs. Kansas
    Music City - Dec. 31 - Nashville - Vanderbilt vs. Boston College
    Sun Dec. 31 - El Paso, Tex. - Oregon State vs. Pittsburgh
    Armed Forces - Dec. 31 - Fort Worth - Air Force vs. Houston
    Holiday - Dec.30 - San Diego - Oregon vs. Oklahoma State
    Texas - Dec. 30 - Houston - Western Michigan* vs. Rice
    Humanitarian - Dec. 30 - Boise, Idaho - Nevada vs. Maryland
    Alamo - Dec. 29 - San Antonio - Northwestern vs. Missouri
    Papajohns.com - Dec. 29 - Birmingham, Ala. - Rutgers vs. N.C. State*
    Independence - Dec. 28 - Shreveport, La. - La. Tech* vs. N. Illinois*
    Emerald - Dec. 27 - San Francisco - Miami (Fla.) vs. California
    Champs Sports - Dec. 27 - Orlando Florida - State vs. Wisconsin
    Meineke Car Care - Dec. 27 - Charlotte - North Carolina vs. West Virginia
    Motor City - Dec. 26 - Detroit - Central Michigan vs. FAU*
    Hawaii - Dec. 24 - Honolulu - Hawaii vs. Notre Dame*
    Poinsettia - Dec. 23 - San Diego - TCU vs. Boise State*
    New Orleans - Dec. 21 - New Orleans - Troy vs. Southern Miss
    EagleBank - Dec. 20 - Washington D.C. - Navy vs. Wake Forest
    Las Vegas - Dec. 20 - Las Vegas - BYU vs. Arizona
    St. Petersburg - Dec. 20 - St. Petersburg, Fla. - South Florida vs. Memphis
    New Mexico - Dec. 20 - Albuquerque, N.M. - Colorado State vs. Fresno State
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    A couple of things that stand out:

Interesting year for the Big 10 - Iowa, Minnesota and Northwestern in bowl games, but not Michigan;

No way does Notre Dame deserve to be in a bowl, any bowl;

Arizona - BYU figures to be an entertaining, high scoring game;

Championship game not till Jan 8??? Might as well make it a kick-off game in late August;

I hope people watch Miami vs. California and get the chance to see Jahvid Best, who might well be the best player in the country (8.0 avg and over 2000 all purpose yards)
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

As a proud former student of Boise State, and wed to a graduate of Boise State, I find this bowl list a real slap in the face.

Apparently BSU's 12-0 season meant far less than Utah's 12-0.

I mean, really, 12-0 and you get to play the 10-2 TCU "Hornfrogs"?? Amazing.

When will such idiocy lead to the NCAA finally abandoning the whole BCS silliness and institute a playoff series?

(NOTE: If you completely disregard Boise State as partisan on my part (LOL!), you gotta think there are a WORLD of other inequities in the whole foolish system.)
    Generate more fake news.

I am so proud of Turner Gill and the UB Bulls for winning the MAC Championship by DEMOLISHING undeafeated #12 Ball State last Friday.

Hope they roll up UConn!
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

To add to what affiliatehound said about Michigan, it is really unbelievable considering Michigan State, Central Michigan and Western Michigan are all in a bowl and they are not. On the bright side, the basketball team looks to be it's best since the Fab Five days or least in a long time, which isn't saying much though.

As far as matchups go, I would have loved to see Texas vs. Alabama and I would love to see USC not play a home game almost every year, we all saw what happened verse Texas a few years ago. I will look forward to watching the Capitol One bowl, as that would be a pretty big win for Michigan State if they could pull it off. I also loved watching Texas Tech play all year and that little running back from Oregon State, I can't remember his name off the top of my head.

A couple tips for anybody that will be getting into a college bowl pool.

1. Make sure to note the location of the bowl (i.e. USC playing at the Rose Bowl). Sorry to have to note that again, can you tell I am little biased against them?

2. Watch for the sleeper teams that are really excited to be in a bowl game at all and will play their hearts out or playing teams that feel they should have deserved better as they are likely to not care as much.

Thanks for the udpdate Jason. I'm looking forward to another great bowl season, if anybody has any inside information about any of the bowl games please share.

I completely agree with Writerguy about the BS BCS. Take the current BCS matchups and turn it into playoffs, start playing this weekend, we will have a TRUE national champion by January 1st. I think BSU and Utah can make some noise if given the opportunity. The whole BCS system is a "shamockry", these schools are making millions from these students, what do they get in an exchange, "free" education (See Dexter Manley). That's CRAP.

Quote Originally Posted by David S.
    To add to what affiliatehound said about Michigan, it is really unbelievable considering Michigan State, Central Michigan and Western Michigan are all in a bowl and they are not. On the bright side, the basketball team looks to be it's best since the Fab Five days or least in a long time, which isn't saying much though.
    An off-topic aside - the season before the Fab Five, 1990, I was at the West Regional tournament in Long Beach, CA and saw one of the great offensive shows in tourney history, as Loyola defeated Michigan 149 to 115.
    Quote Originally Posted by David S.
    As far as matchups go, I would have loved to see Texas vs. Alabama and I would love to see USC not play a home game almost every year, we all saw what happened verse Texas a few years ago. I will look forward to watching the Capitol One bowl, as that would be a pretty big win for Michigan State if they could pull it off. I also loved watching Texas Tech play all year and that little running back from Oregon State, I can't remember his name off the top of my head
    Don't get me started re the University of Spoiled Children brain surgeons, but you can see a few tidbits here and there on my sports blog, linked below.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyiadom
    I completely agree with Writerguy about the BS BCS. Take the current BCS matchups and turn it into playoffs, start playing this weekend, we will have a TRUE national champion by January 1st. I think BSU and Utah can make some noise if given the opportunity. The whole BCS system is a "shamockry", these schools are making millions from these students, what do they get in an exchange, "free" education (See Dexter Manley). That's CRAP.
    It will never happen unless the sponsors who pay multi-millions to the bowls now force it to happen. Rose, Citrus, Fiesta Bowls, etc. are not going to give up their Jan 1 or after spots and acclaim, risking those huge paydays.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rubacky
    Anyone looking forward to any of the match ups?
    .I love football, but don't really get excited about any of the games, even with teams I root for. The BCS and whole bowl game system is out of date and needs to die a quick death.

I'm amazed that the resistance to eliminating the bowls comes down to money, but I think a playoff system would be so enormously popular that it would rival the NFL playoffs. You could use the bowl games as the playoff games. With the lowest tier bowls for the first round playoffs, and one of the BCS bowls as the championship game.

Ask yourself this: If you were starting NCAA football today from scratch, which would you create a bowl system, or playoffs?

Any time that there is a lot of football on TV is a good time for me.

But as for who I will be cheering for.....

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! KU in the Insight Bowl and in a bowl two years in a row for the first time in school history.

Also....for my parents.....BOOMER SOONER!!!

Sheri

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    One thing that REALLY stood out to me was that the Big 12 and SEC could not get enough bowl eligible teams, but the ACC got 10 teams in bowls and was the highest ranked conference by the computers.

They got blasted all year for being weak but set NCAA records for teams in bowl games and were 37-11 against non-conference teams. All this while having the toughest non-conference schedules in the country.

That is impressive!

I am looking forward to a lot of the games this year, particularly the Boise State game, the Wake Forest game (rematch with Navy) and seeing how Utah does against Alabamistan
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

ABW Ambassador
    So who's winning Thursday, Oklahoma or Florida? Think it's going to be a great game, not sure who I think will win yet.

Good game yesterday, Buckeyes were built for losing Bowl games I guess.

Buckeyes were built for losing Bowl games I guess
    Pretty much the whole Big 10 looks like it was built for losing bowl games, I think Iowa is the only one that won a game.

So who's winning Thursday, Oklahoma or Florida?
    I've gotta go with Tebow here. The guy is just a winner and Florida has the edge in experience.

If the Florida RB doesn't play, then OU will win. If he plays, Florida wins.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Don't get me started re the University of Spoiled Children...
    Hound, that's the mark of a true UCLA fan.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

For Thursdays not-really-championship-game: I'm picking OU by 14.

I know Florida's favored. But I've seen OU put together to many 50+ point games this year to believe they'll lose.

BTW -- There's only ONE Division I college team with a perfect season this year -- Utah at 13-0. That's why I'm calling Thursday's BCS farce another, well, FARCE.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Hound, that's the mark of a true UCLA fan.
    Next Year

Pac 10 Bowl Results: 5-0

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    For Thursdays not-really-championship-game: I'm picking OU by 14.

I know Florida's favored. But I've seen OU put together to many 50+ point games this year to believe they'll lose.
    Hard to pick against Tebow, but OU has such an incredible offense, I think the Soooooners will win sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    BTW -- There's only ONE Division I college team with a perfect season this year -- Utah at 13-0. That's why I'm calling Thursday's BCS farce another, well, FARCE.
    Absolutely. In my mind, Utah is the National Champion. But, the BCS is the official decider, and any other school that claims it, even if voted No. 1 by AP (such as the University of Spoiled Children that has the audacity to claim at lease two prior championships they clearly did not win) is fooling only themselves, and reaching for the deep pockets of their alumni.

... and reaching for the deep pockets of their alumni.
    And that, of course, is really what college football is all about. That and their function as farm teams for the NFL.
    Generate more fake news.

Florida Will Win
    Florida will win. Why? Because defense wins championships.

Oklahoma gave up 319 points on the season, and 45 in their one loss.

Florida gave up 167, and 31 in their loss.

My quick and purely numeric assessment tells me that Florida has the better D, thus they will win.

But if it was up to me, Utah would be #1.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontaine

I'm a UF alum and actually attending the game in Miami on Thursday (its a short drive from Sarasota), before I fly out to Vegas on Sunday for Aff Summit.

I'm all for the gators!

I hope people watch Miami vs. California and get the chance to see Jahvid Best, who might well be the best player in the country (8.0 avg and over 2000 all purpose yards)
    If you missed it, in Cal's win over Miami, Jahvid Best averaged 9.3 yards per carry in gaining 186 yards on the ground, and two TDs, plus another 43 on kickoff returns, in leading our big brother Bears to victory.

If you missed it, in Cal's win over Miami, Jahvid Best averaged 9.3 yards per carry in gaining 186 yards on the ground, and two TDs, plus another 43 on kickoff returns, in leading our big brother Bears to victory.
    He might be the best player, also known as the Heisman Trophy winner, but the Heisman has been turned into the QB with the biggest numbers award. I don't even want to say best QB, because they all play for schools with major talent all around them. History has shown that most Heisman winners don't fair that well in the NFL.

Not only is the Heisman winner not the best player, he's probably not even the best QB.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontaine

I'm not a college football expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I just wanted to weigh in on the Utah conversation.

It can't just be about the fact that they went undefeated. Their schedule doesn't support the #1 claim. They only have three wins that I would consider high-caliber and only one of those teams won their bowl game. That team was TCU....guess who else beat TCU this year? Oklahoma. Another high-caliber win....Alabama (who didn't win their bowl game).....guess who else beat Alabama this year? Florida. The third team they played with a winning record was BYU.....but then you have to consider the teams that BYU played to get that winning schedule. Almost every one of the teams that BYU beat this year has a losing record.

But for the most part, with Utah, you're talking about a team with wins against teams with abysmal records this year. It just doesn't add up.

I don't know who will win the game tonight (I will be rooting for OU), but I hope they do it in a blaze of glory so that there is no more debate.

My 2 cents,

Sheri

ABW Ambassador
    So congrats to any Gator fans out there, I know a lot of them having lived and gone to school in Orlando for many years.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread