Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Will The Lions Win A Game This Year?
    Ok so there are 3 more games left and they just blew there best chance this Sunday vs. the Vikings at home. They get to play at Inday, home vs the Saints and at Lambeau Field vs the Pack for the final game of the year. I apologize to everybody in advance for having to watch this awful team on national television every Thanksgiving. I don't see any way they win any of these games individually, but 0-16 seems really tough to do the way the NFL is so unpredictable.

Can anybody predict a scenario in which they pull off an upset in any of these games? I hope to see some very entertaining answers here.

ABW Ambassador
    "Can anybody predict a scenario in which they pull off an upset in any of these games?"

If the other teams come down with some mass food poisoning or something. Those next 3 games don't look good for the Lions. Have to try to think positive. Next year will be better, you can't get any worse. Maybe you'll get a new coach. Maybe a good draft. Look to Miami for inspiration, they turned it around comparted to last year. You have Calvin Johnson and um... Who else would you say is good on that team? Not sure about Culpepper yet, if he can return to form. He's still learning the offense it looks like. Few more games, offseason, training camp, next year, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by David S.
    Ok so there are 3 more games left and they just blew there best chance this Sunday vs. the Vikings at home. They get to play at Inday, home vs the Saints and at Lambeau Field vs the Pack for the final game of the year. I apologize to everybody in advance for having to watch this awful team on national television every Thanksgiving. I don't see any way they win any of these games individually, but 0-16 seems really tough to do the way the NFL is so unpredictable.

Can anybody predict a scenario in which they pull off an upset in any of these games? I hope to see some very entertaining answers here.
    Hey, the Pack's not as good as they used to be. There's always hope.

On the other hand, Lions' fans everywhere could take a certain amount of pride (lions = pride -- get it? Ha!) in the record they would set if they finish the season with losses. I'm pretty sure I heard the pre-game gurus on CBS yesterday say that would make the Lions the first 0-16 team in NFL history??
    Generate more fake news.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Agree that the Lions blew their one and only chance yesterday. I was driving when I heard on the radio that Ferotte was hurt and out for the rest of the game, and thought, well, Detroit will win this, and was very surprised to see not only that the Vikings had won, but that Tarvaris Jackson had probably the best half of his career against the sterling Lion D.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

no (they wont win), but at least detroit will always have the red wings :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cymax Stores
    no (they wont win), but at least detroit will always have the red wings :P
    ugghh the Red Wings... <grumble grumble grumble>
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

You have Calvin Johnson and um... Who else would you say is good on that team?
    Um yeah, probably a very select few which would include LB Ernie Sims and RB Kevin Smith.

Have to try to think positive.
    I heard that they are going for a trifecta of New England Patroit signings this off season which would include their current QB Matt Cassel, GM Scott Peoli and I believe their current offensive coordinator so that is at least something to be positive about. Unfortunately we go through this every year. We haven't even finished this year yet and all we have to look forward to is the draft. In fact in a recent visit I heard the local radio stations talking about Michael Vick. Trust, what would think about that? Do you think he has any chance of being successful again?

I'm pretty sure I heard the pre-game gurus on CBS yesterday say that would make the Lions the first 0-16 team in NFL history??
    Yes, they would be the only team ever to go 0-16. The Tampa Bay Bucs went 0-14 I believe or maybe 0-12, but nobody has ever gone 0-16.

ABW Ambassador
    "In fact in a recent visit I heard the local radio stations talking about Michael Vick. Trust, what would think about that?"

Think that's the worst decision the Lions could make. Calvin Johnson needs a real QB. I wasn't a fan of Vick when he was with the Falcons. He had the worst completion percentage in the NFL and his #1 receiver was a tight end, which usually means shorter passes and he still had the lowest completion percentage.

Somebody will probably take a chance on Vick. For the QB, I'm more a fan of the pocket passer and if they can run too, that's good. If you compiled a list of the best QB's, Manning, Brady etc. they're primarily pocket passers. You have running backs that should be running. Never thought it was a good idea to have your franchise QB running around getting hit.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Sadly... this lifetime Lions fan doesn't see any easy games coming up. NO at home could be possible... I don't think Indy or GB on the road really look good...it has been quite a while since the Lions won in GB I think.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

There is no way the Lions would sign Vick. They are going to have attendance problems as it is and the remaining season ticket holders that have dogs will think about renewing.

The lions will not win a game this year and maybe not one next year either.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

it has been quite a while since the Lions won in GB I think.
    Brian, good to see another lions fan here. It takes a lot of courage to admit that nowadays. The last time the lions won in GB was 1991 during the good ol' days with Barry Sanders, Erik Kramer and Herman Moore.

There is no way the Lions would sign Vick. They are going to have attendance problems as it is and the remaining season ticket holders that have dogs will think about renewing.
    I believe they would consider signing him. Before Dan Orlovsky got injured he was their starting QB. You are right about the attendance problems and I'm not condoning what Vick did, but who do you think would draw more of a crowd Dan Orlovsky or Michael Vick?

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Poor Dan Orlovsky will never live down running out of the back of the endzone unprovoked.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

The lions will be drafting a QB before they take the problems that Vick will bring them.

Now you know I am a falcon fan and I loved to watch Vick play but if you think about it was he really that good of a qb. His passes were so fast the receivers couldn't catch them half the time.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I think a smart GM would come in and invest in the lines and defense. When you consider how little they would actually have to pay Vick, it becomes more and more of a possibility. I mean if he gets a training camp in he would be more prepared than our current starter was for half of the year and if he manages to win a couple games, actually check that, A game people here might forget all about what happened in the past. I'm just saying knowing the lions like I do, it's risk I could see them taking and Vick could have a better chance here there anywhere to revive his career so he might actually want to come to Detroit as well. Obviously he would not be brought in as a starter given the time off he has had, but he could eventually get a chance to play if the team stinks like usual.

As far as his play, yes he was not the best passer, but with the new craze of the wildcat offense I could see him being useful in that system even if it's not the primary offense.

That miserable scum m vick should NEVER EVER play another down in the NFL!

And any personnel guy that signs him should be run out of town.

Atlanta, Baltimore, Denver, San Diego, Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, and a few more teams have found quality young qbs in the past 1-3 years. Detroit needs knowledgeable people running the show, who can do as well from the college ranks and stay out of the pool of slime that includes less-than-human c**p like vick.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    "As far as his play, yes he was not the best passer,"

He was the worst. You don't need that to go along with Calvin Johnson.

http://www.nfl.com/players/michaelvi...e?id=VIC311467

Lifetime 53.8 completion percentage

As far as him running, he's a fumble machine. He fumbled 10% of the time he ran with it. He had 16 fumbles in one season alone.

TD to INT - 71/52, that's horrible. And I remember when he was playing, you had running backs complaining they weren't getting the ball and receivers complaining too that he couldn't get it to them.

He actually averaged more rushing than passing. And then Calvin would never see the ball if Vick was the QB. And with the years off, that completion percentage is only going to go down and he's been a consistenly bad passer, he's had many years to improve when he was playing and hasn't.

He just wouldn't make the team better. They should get Daunte, maybe Cassel or some other QB's, draft a QB and let them fight it out in camp. Maybe you could draft the next Matt Ryan

The problem the Lions have is they kept drafting wide receivers, who only touch the ball like 10% of the plays. They need to trade Calvin Johnson and get some draft choices to rebuild both lines.

Poor Dan Orlovsky will never live down running out of the back of the endzone unprovoked.
    I forgot to give a LOL for this one in the midst of all the Vick talk! Years from now we will probably look back on that as a play that kind of summed the whole year up.

The problem the Lions have is they kept drafting wide receivers, who only touch the ball like 10% of the plays. They need to trade Calvin Johnson and get some draft choices to rebuild both lines.
    I agree, that's why I was thrilled when they stole three draft picks including a first a third rounder for Roy Williams. So at least they do have some picks to build on next year.

Atlanta, Baltimore, Denver, San Diego, Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, and a few more teams have found quality young qbs in the past 1-3 years
    Detroit doesn't have time to wait for a young quarterback to develop. They need to try to get back to respectability asap and finding a rookie qb like Matt Ryan to come in and be successful in their rookie year is very, very rare.

A couple more things about Vick and hopefully we can get back to talking about the lions of this year. We are talking about a qb that got his team to the NFC championship game before and he didn't exactly have the best receivers around him as well. Anybody can learn how to throw to Calvin, he catches everything. And again you will be talking about an experienced backup qb with play-making ability that you will be getting for close to the minimum that the league will let you pay him. I don't condone what he did, but I do believe in second chances. He will get another chance somewhere, I'm just saying it's probably more of a possibility in Detroit than some people may think.

Any more scenarios for a Lions victory anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by David S.
    Any more scenarios for a Lions victory anybody?
    I think the consensus is they Lion's have little chance to beat Indianapolis, New Orleans, or Green Bay, but hey, Culpepper could have a great game somewhere, and while Indy has hit a stride and doesn't figure to give Detroit a chance, New Orleans has lost a few this year that they should have won, and they might well be out of the playoofs in 2 weeks with nothing to play for, and with GB out of the playoffs, they might be giving a lot of young guys, maybe Matt Flynn or Brian Brohm at qb, some pt in the final game, so maybe that's their spot. (OK Lions win those 2 behind Culpepper, and decide he's their guy for next year - is that a good thing?)

Final word on the other topic: The Lions had a Vick in the 1970s - Greg Landry, and they didn't win with him either.

Isn't Culpepper hurt again?

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Isn't Culpepper hurt again?
    Yea, I missed that - he hurt his shoulder late in the game; MRI today - no report yet.

Alright so I guess everybody is busy or just doesn't care to get creative here (I don't blame you). So, I was trying to think of some scenarios myself and here is one that I came up with:

The Saints are playing in Chicago tomorrow where temps are supposed to be in the teens at night. I never root for injuries but if Drew Brees plays long enough, he might be able to get frostbite and end his season. The saints lose the game and most likely thier playoff hopes as well. Mark Brunell would then take over the reigns verse the lions. He starts out well, showing flashes of his former self, throws for three quick td's in the first half while of course the lions don't score at all. Therefore making the way for one John Joseph Wellington Harrington (yes I'm referring to Joey Harrington aka "Joey Blue Skies" and I'm pretty sure that is his full name). He is able to get a field goal on the board but proceeds to throw two interceptions for td's. The lions then recover two onside kicks the last of which allowing Jason Hanson to attempt and make an NFL record 70 yard field goal!!! Yeah, that's about what it's gonna take.

Oops, I just realized that scenario would make the final score 21-20. I guess they would have to recover three onside kicks all resulting in field goals, making it even that much more unlikely.

Sad part of the story is Joey Harrington is better then any qb on the lions roster.

Thought I would update this as the Lions got blown out again today. Just one more game to go. I came across this quote from Joey Harrington. Even he is taking shots at the Lions now.

Joey Harrington, a colossal bust as quarterback of the Lions is now a Saints backup. He marveled at his former team’s futility and told the Detroit Free Press, that despite never having a winning season in Detroit, “it’s weird I was here in the heyday.”
    Here's the link to the article which notes the Lions struggles as only one of many in the city of Detroit:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast