Data Feeds / Product Feeds
    Not sure about everyone else but CJ is not very helpful. I receive data feeds from CJ on a weekly bases, and recently (maybe not too recently) I started receiving duplicate files, the file names are different but it is for the same merchant. I contacted CJ about that but did not get a satisfactory response. So Iím reaching out to see if anyone experienced the same issue. For some merchants like Buy.com I figured out that each file is for a different category like electronics, books, music, etc but for other merchants like A1Books I have 4 files that are 800MB + in sizes and I canít figure out which one I should be using, they are all created within about the same time.

So if anyone out there has seen this or knows what is going on please respond.

Thanks

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I know some merchants break up their datafeeds and there is usually a logical reason. i.e. edressme.com has 2 one for edressme.com website and one for edressmeprom.com website. But assuming thier logical reason doesn't pertain to you, save the files separately under different names) and process each file as if they are from a different merchant. Does it really matter if you have the product feed from one merchant broken into 2 or more parts? I say no, as long as it is consistant every time. If i know that merchant A always have 4 files in its datafeed then I write the program that processes that datafeed to expect 4 files.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    What oranges said. You will have to look at the individual files to see if you want to use one, some, or all of them depending on what products are in each file.

I am very grateful that I now have access to their datafeeds and find them very useful. I just wish they would restructure their naming convention so the filename would start with the Merchant name, not some useless number followed by the name. When dealing with a large number of datafeeds it gets rather painful trying to find the one you are looking for scrolling through a random list. (hope CJ is listening!)

Thank you for the reply, I do know that some merchants like Buy.com provided 10+ feeds for each one of the categories that they carry, this make sense. But my issue is merchants like A1Books provide 4 feeds they are all close in size and have about the same number of items. From what I can tell is that they are identical feeds, my concern is that if I process them all as one merchant Iím going to have a DB that is 4 times larger then it should be since I have duplicate items, now multiply that by 20-30 merchants that do that and you DB is so much larger then it should be and then you start loosing performance and run in to other issue like DB maintenance.

But anyways, thanks for the feedback, its about the same as I got from CJ themselves

In MySQL there's something like "insert .... on duplicate ...." feature. So if you use "SKU" as your unique index, there'll be no duplicates. Unless your merchant doesn't provide you with any SKUs. There might be something else unique about each product, useful to parse the datafeed and avoid duplicates.
    Also in CJ feeds there's something like a "DATE" column, and at least for some merchants it's accurate.

I only get my feeds every 2 weeks and the size of the feed is like 4GB. Should this be? I been having problems opening it with IE or Firefox (I choose to the xml feed). How do I get CJ to break up the feed for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread