Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Website Improvement Feedback - $50.00 Prize

Question Seeking Website Improvement Feedback - $50.00 Prize
    Folks,

We are looking for improvement suggestions for the Funetics website.

While the current affiliate program conversion ranges from 5.74% to 6.85% (attaching current stats), we know there is still a lot of room to grow.

Some changes -- based on customer focus groups -- have already been made, but we feel that there is more Funetics can do to better sell the product. Comments that are designed improve usability, add credibility and, most importantly, encourage customers to purchase the product would be most appreciated.

Feel free to request a free trial and give comments on that, too.

Prize: there will be a draw to award a 50.00 cash prize to one of those who will post his/her comments in this thread (to qualify for the award, you do not need to be a Funetics affiliate).

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

Geno
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geno Prussakov; December 10th, 2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: edited not to limit the eligibility for the prize to Funetics affiliates only

ABW Ambassador
    There are a lot of mac users out there. Woudn't there be more mac users trying this out if there was a link on the site? It seems like Funetics would lose some business just because of the extra step involved.

"Please note that this link is compatible with Windows computers. If you are a Mac user, simply email us and we will either email you a Mac link or send you specially-compatible files on CD."

Geno

I looked at Funetics a couple of months ago and was quite impressed. I looked a bit deeper into it and it's actually quite old.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there have been lots of developments in education since NAM was developed.

Looking at the ETS report, that goes back to the 80s. The product was taken off the market for a long time, and has been put back on the market, presumably as was. There's no mention of it being updated in any way.

That is my biggest reservation.

I know nothing about the product - it could be a great educational tool, but some reassurance that it's STILL a great learning methodology would possibly improve conversions.

I wrote the above then went for another look at the website. Maybe make the teacher testimonial more prominent.

And the Funetics Blog on the home page hasn't been updated since August.

They should lose the affiliate links on their "Links We Love" page. You can be a merchant with affiliates and be an affiliate too, but don't expect your affiliates to send you any traffic to earn commissions from, build your own affiliate sites if you want to earn commissions.

ABW Ambassador
    The "store main page"(purchase page): there are 4 products and 1 free trial product on the page. The products layout could be arranged better. How about move the free trial one to the right of the welcome message(and make the welcome message font smaller)? That way the 4 products can fill in the page better.

I personally don't like the font color combinations on the home page, all those green, purple, brown, yellow, black...Maybe it is attractive to children, but parents are the ones who will do the purchase.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    They should lose the affiliate links on their "Links We Love" page. You can be a merchant with affiliates and be an affiliate too, but don't expect your affiliates to send you any traffic to earn commissions from, build your own affiliate sites if you want to earn commissions.
    And yes, NO "LINKS WE LOVE" please.

Thanks SO much for all of this great feedback (and for more to come I hope...!) And thanks a lot for pointing out the Links We Love issue - I had joined as an affiliate a couple of months ago just trying to learn more about the affiliate perspective, and I forgot to remove those links - I have removed them now. Once again, thanks for pointing it out and sorry! Hope you guys are OK with the Links We Love page (without any affiliate links - I was told it is recommended to swap links with complementary web sites for SEO purposes). But I promise, no more affiliate links!!

And the suggestion about letting folks know that we have, indeed, upgraded the program is something I completely didn't think of - we had a Master Teacher review the whole program last year and we changed anything that wasn't current. I will find a way to incorporate that. Thanks!!

And yes, the blog needs to be redone - we are planning to move it to another page and put in place a process to keep it updated.

Thanks again folks, please keep the suggestions coming!!

Claudia
    President, Funetics

1. Colours - I love them (sorry guys) you are promising to teach youngsters and, although yes, the parents pay, the site looks fun. As it looks fun, it portrays a fun learning experience for the child and makes me more eager to pay, or at least to look into it further. It shows me that you have the childs interest in mind more than my own perhaps. And that is why I am there in the first place, so I love the colours.

We've got even better news: There's a way to teach your child to read that is not only fast and effective, but amazingly fun and engaging. It's called the Funetics Early Reading Program and it's available only at this website. Click here to learn more.
    I would have preferred the 'Learn More' to be the big thing NOT the Buy now button. Purely because, like most people that visit you first, we may not have a clue what you are talking about or why we should buy? I would prefer you to be teaching me why you can teach my kids.... Do you see what I mean? Just make that link larger, like you care about me knowing the reasons LOL

Because Funetics is an exciting, effective alternative to the average early reading program
    HUH? The reasons you have under the video are better than that. You see, I truly know nothing about you, being new to your programme, so this is my chance to learn too and that didnt draw me in. and get rid of the italics

Independent research found Funetics more effective
    who said that? What independant research? Link to the page...

Funetics comes as a group of Adobe PDF files that you download to your computer and print on a desktop printer
    You could add there that Adobe reader is a FREE programme found at.......

7. Links We Love.... Bit more professional to call them 'Useful Sites' or 'Sites You May Like'

OK I will shuttup now LOL

No, no, no - please don't shut up!! This is so incredibly helpful! Thanks 1stAngel!

Ok lol one last thing.... Make a contact PAGE with a form, not have an email link. Easy to do and looks more professional.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I'd love to see a page with a sample activity, perhaps with a video of someone enjoying that activity and a description.

If I had a child, I'd need that example to get beyond my fears regarding the program.

Apparently you can only pay with PayPal or checks.

A lot of people are not a member of PayPal and I would not join it just to buy your product.

People should be able to use a Credit Card on your site without having to go through PayPal. And, sending you a check is so 1990s and not the way people do things now.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

My first reaction on this site is that the background is way to bright. That yellow is very distracting. I remember looking at this site a couple of weeks ago and instantly clicked my back button once the site loaded as it was too bright and moved onto other programs.

Another thing is the "Powered by Website Tonight" button at the bottom makes this store look very amateur. Same with the shopping cart with the "powered by 3dcart" link on the bottom.

Once you click "Buy" it reloads the page and it took me a second to see that the product was added to the cart as I really had to look for it.

I think there should be a link to the no risk guarantee on the product pages. Or at least a blurb or something about that.

Good luck!
    [b]Logan Thompson[/b]
    [size=-2][url=http://www.loganthompson.me]My Blog[/url] | [url=http://www.twitter.com/drumminlogan]Follow Me on Twitter[/url][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Folks,

We are looking for improvement suggestions for the Funetics website.

Prize: there will be a draw to award a 50.00 cash prize to one of those who will post his/her comments in this thread (to qualify for the award, you need to be a Funetics affiliate).

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

Geno

Geno,

First, I think that if you're looking for real improvement suggestions for the Funetics website, that you shouldn't limit the prize, just to a Funetics affiliates, because if some non affiliate may have some good suggestion, maybe that person may feel discriminated, and not say what they think...

Second, I haven't got to the part of where BurgerBoy found this:
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Apparently you can only pay with PayPal or checks.

A lot of people are not a member of PayPal and I would not join it just to buy your product.

People should be able to use a Credit Card on your site without having to go through PayPal. And, sending you a check is so 1990s and not the way people do things now.
    But, I can tell you what I just saw...

After clicking on the link you posted above "Funetics website.", and clicking on the left big Buy Now orange button, I end up on a page with just 6 products on it, and no matter which of the six products Buy links I click on that page, I always see the same identical crap page after the page refresh...

It took me awhile to notice the Shopping Bag Cart, on the same Left Side on where the Links Navigation Menu were on the home page!

And...

Third, Geno I am not an affiliate of Funetics yet, but since you're the one asking, I decided to reply to this post, I don't care about the prize, but if you think I have just posted the best suggestion, and I think I do..., then I am willing to take that $50, any which way in cash!

The way I see it, it's better to just land on a page new with just the product and description of the Buy link people click, than just land on the same refresh page with the order shoping link on the left side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    First, I think that if you're looking for real improvement suggestions for the Funetics website, that you shouldn't limit the prize, just to a Funetics affiliates, because if some non affiliate may have some good suggestion, maybe that person may feel discriminated, and not say what they think...
    I am completely open to having the contest open to others besides affiliates - the more great feedback we get, the better!

Claudia

Quote Originally Posted by Funetics
    I am completely open to having the contest open to others besides affiliates - the more great feedback we get, the better!
    Thank you, Claudia, and thank you, Sal. I've just edited the first post in this thread to read "to qualify for the award, you do not need to be a Funetics affiliate".

Looking forward to more participation from other members of the forum now.

Thanks,

Geno

Agree with pretty much everything that's already been said so can't really add too much more.

mayly - "I personally don't like the font color combinations on the home page, all those green, purple, brown, yellow, black"

tsk, tsk, tsk......bite your tongue. Just teasin

Guess I have to agree with 1stAngel too. Parents are the ones who will be purchasing but it's good to have the kiddies involved in it, too and they most likely will like all the colors.

How bout instead of the stars up at the top...little stick people kids.

If you could expand more with your testimonials and have more videos that kids take part in, other kids would be interested in that I'm sure. Kids if they see themselves (as long as the parents are ok with that, some wouldn't be.) kids will tell other kids. lol Hey....so and so look at me, I'm on this site. So that would attract more kids.

I'd stress endorsements or any organizations that have favorable things to say about the program, too.

Maybe if you could have a segment of the site devoted to some fun time for the kids. Even little trivia games or I know from my own nieces and nephews.....let the kids submit their own little jokes. I have heard soooooo many little silly jokes Kids love that. Have their own little play type area. Educational type trivia. Maybe even little awards for something. I don't know how ya do it but even coloring pages. Kids love to color. Maybe have their own little book club where they could talk about books they like, etc.

Or.....ya could just scrap the whole buncha colors and just go with a purple site.... hmmm maybe even have a mascot for the site. Robbie the raccoon or somethin that loves to read. Kids love animals. Maybe Penelope the piglet or somethin....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal

Second, I haven't got to the part of where BurgerBoy found this:
    See the bottom of this page Mr. Sal.

http://www.funeticslearning.com/Freq...ked_Quest.html

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Yup, it's true - I must admit, I didn't realize limiting to Paypal would be an issue. I am looking into alternatives. Thanks!

Anything else, everyone? All of your thoughts and input are completely helpful - we have already started to plan and design revisions with you in mind! (...can you say "thick skin"?!)

Thank you all for your invaluable feedback.

We will continue to accept your comments through Monday (22 December). The thread will be closed at midnight, and the prize winner will be announced on Tuesday.

Geno

My suggestions
    hi, I am not a affiliate of funetics but after looking you might get more sales if you changed the format of the side links. Right now it is
    Why Buy Funetics
    FAQ
    Testimonials/Videos
    Free Trial Offer
    No Risk Guarantee
    Links We Love
    Maybe it would look better if you had some order to it. Like
    Why Buy Funetics (stays)
    Free Trial
    Risk-Free Guarantee
    FAQ
    Testimonials (lose the Videos)
    Links We Love
    Right now your links on the side are not in order and seem to go out of order which may confuse people? Same with your wording No risk guarantee, changed maybe not to risk-free but to something more unscary. Thanks for reading, I am still going through your site so see you in a bit. Oh and maybe you should take the blog off of your landing page and create a link, since the last post was in august makes people think that this is a boring site and no one has anything new to say. Sorry Editing again. Can you make your Logo on top Clickable so it goes to the free trial page? We consumers like things that take us to a free trial page not the buy now. we want to test and see if it works before we take the plunge of buying straight out exspecially now in such a bad economy.

Edit again: I went through the process of check out for the free trial and It is confusing, what is my price after the free trial not one word on the price, I would not buy this in this condition, is it $40.00/month, 19.95???? Put a price down even in small print, most people won't go to the buy it now button but to the free trial, and we all know that a free trial is only for a period. Will edit some more.
    Edit again again last one I promise, But your free trial offer is not limited I can order 1000 free trials lol make a limit of 1 per household or something lol.
    Last edited by jodyq; December 19th, 2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Always Editing, always forgetting something
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

It was mentioned already and feels a bit "too simple", but one of the first things I reacted too was the yellow background color. Have you at some point tested using other colors?

Yellow as such probably is a good color for your product, implying things like inspiration, warmth, happiness, joy, positive energy, focus etc. (I'm drawing on everything from cultural anthropology to new age here )

But the color appear very bright on my computer screen..

Another (probably not particularly influential) detail on the front page is that the rss feed you pull in from your blog displays some ? characters in my browser. I guess you are using western encoding (ISO-8859-1)? I think that UTF-8 is the general recommendation to use for feeds, for maximum compatibility.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree, that yellow is too much

I went through the process of check out for the free trial and It is confusing, what is my price after the free trial not one word on the price, I would not buy this in this condition, is it $40.00/month, 19.95???? Put a price down even in small print, most people won't go to the buy it now button but to the free trial, and we all know that a free trial is only for a period.

This is on the Buy it Now Page. The Free Trial Button gives it to me automatically, but the product link in the Buy it page sends me off to order processing page lol scarry.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast