ABW Ambassador
    http://www.betanews.com/article.php3?sid=1070360047

AOL: 'Tahiti' to Ship Early Next Year
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Spyware protection, as well as adaptive spam filters have been available in AOL 9.0 Optimized since July rang in the company's "Member's First" download campaign. With Tahiti, AOL has worked to port the innovations of AOL Optimized to the rest of its members without the benefit of a broadband Internet connection.

Upon the installation of Tahiti, a link to AOL Spyware Protection is also automatically installed on the member's desktop, and is continually updated to guard against the latest spyware applications. AOL says it developed its spyware removal technology in-house, and did not utilize popular applications such as Ad-aware or Spybot Search and Destroy.

"It makes sense that AOL would want to extend spyware detection to as many customers as possible. Dial-up customers already deal with limited bandwidth, something that spyware could further constrain," Joe Wilcox, senior analyst at Jupiter Research, told BetaNews. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guys, you might want to discuss with AOL about if you are spyware or not. Being labeled spyware in this app is going to be a network killer.

Chet

Chez, that's a pretty big deal. In my industry especially, we cater to TONS of AOL users. Does this mean our CJ links won't be seen? Will they be blocked? Will they just not show up?

Can you put a scope on this for me?

Thanks...
    -patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager | eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com | v: 610.323.2200x2206 | aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

I use 9.0 at home (long story, please refrain from ridicule!). Clicking on links within the AOL environment is cumbersome.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

We already have to adapt our emails for AOL 9.0 users since they can't see any graphics in their email as a default setting, unless they click on this tiny button with a shield on it.

I really am interested to see what the networks might be able to do to work with AOL. This is a big deal.

-patrice

Sorry Karl

CDC

That's why it is time to go IN HOUSE!

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>That's why it is time to go IN HOUSE!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Indeed!
    Affiliate Networks may be a thing of the past pretty soon...maybe not, who knows. But it is not a bad idea for merchants to start getting their inhouse tracking solutions together.

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com

Well, more info would certainly help us folks who don't have the option to go in house anytime soon.

Anyone have any additional information or know what the networks might be doing about this?

-patrice

Everyday, I am more and more comfortable with our decision to go in-house.

Indie seems the way to go

Erik

==============================
    The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

cdc:

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

RedFish and Chet: I agree with you 100% I have dumped almost all of my network ads for in-house. I saw an improvement almost right away. Kind of tells you something huh?

BradleyB

If this continues, before long we'll be lucky if anyone sees any network generated ads! Between Norton, the hundreds of independent pop-up and ad killers, and now AOL, the window seems to be closing.

AOL, for what it's worth, still has a lot of customers, and many of them do shop online.

Andy

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have dumped almost all of my network ads for in-house. I saw an improvement almost right away. Kind of tells you something huh? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only one of my 4 indies has been worth the pixels their pages are written on. So I get a totally different message than you! Namely, to indies !

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Patrice,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Does this mean our CJ links won't be seen? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thats already happening

After the Holidays and believe me I wish I did it bofore then alot of links WILL be changed. Namely CJ merchants will be deleted from my site. I have come to this choice after working on 2 of my Aunts computers.

I was doing some maintenance on my 65 year old aunts computer who has 3 grandchildren who come over alot and use the computer. Anyways, I went to some of my pages and low and behold, NO CJ LINKS were showing even though the pages each had about 15 links that were there. I did clean up alot of crap that was on her computer but still didn't get rid of whatever the scumware was that was blocking out the CJ links and making them disappear.

The same night I go to my other Aunts house and also had the same thing happen. She has no kids. Also what was happening was that any keywords that I had typed on my pages were being underlined and turned into links leading to someplace that I wasn't directing them to. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to research it. To make this short, we are being ripped off alot more than Todd and the networks would like us to believe. I use to think that I was losing about 10-20% from the parasites. After the other night, my guess is more like 30-40%. I would tell the merchants to networks to wake up, but we done that, been there.

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

[This message was edited by DaPackster on December 03, 2003 at 11:09 AM.]

[This message was edited by DaPackster on December 03, 2003 at 11:10 AM.]

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread