Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I earn too much...
    Yet another year in which I have earned too much money and have to pay TOO MUCH in taxes... Anyone have suggestions on ways to reduce a LOT of personal income. I already do the basics, like maxing out retirement accounts, hire a spouse and max out her retirement accounts, etc etc...

I'm talking about shielding a LOT of money. Like, can I go buy another house, use it as an office, and somehow have a big write-off?

Someone give me some creative ideas to go research..

Thanks

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    You could share the wealth, hire some help, I know someone looking for some extra work

ABW Ambassador

Employ me. I would take some of the extra money you need to get rid of by buying myself a nice home. I would then take a little more for my first holiday in over 10 years.

Yes, hire me and see some money disappear

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Any good accountant should be able to help you. At least here accountants also do tax preparation.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Do you have any accountant. I am sure that a session or 2 with them and they can come up with some creative method to help move the nuts around.

Nice work, Code Monkey. All things considered, earning too much isn't a bad problem to have!

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Create a Defined Benefit retirement plan.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Top tax deductions for small businesses

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/obje...1/277/235/ART/

I particularlly liked the "entertainment expenses", sounds like you need to have more partys where you invite all of us, and then write it off.

Very easy, give to charity. There are a lot of worthy causes that are suffering. More admirable than throwing it away or trying to avoid taxes by other means.
    That or relocate to NY.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    Very easy, give to charity. There are a lot of worthy causes that are suffering. More admirable than throwing it away or trying to avoid taxes by other means.
    That or relocate to NY.
    You said pretty much what I wanted to say. My post was deleted because I said it with a little less tact.

Perfect answer

A "best investment" may indeed be a CPA, tax-savvy accountant. Is sounds as though you may need a longer-range financial plan to handle your needs. While I don't quite have the "too much money" outlook, I am in a situation where I need to re-structure my business in the first quarter of next year. I will be re-structuring and relocating in order to lay a foundation for eventual retirement (in the not-too-far-distant future).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    or relocate to NY.
    Oh, that'll do it . . . what is the sound of 85 or more merchants dropping you

Yes, an accountant, some business travel -- you can use a travel service to prepay a trip to ASW09 . . . lots of ideas here.

You could get rid of a good deal of it through real estate depreciation via rental properties if you live in the US.

I just got into affiliate marketing, and taxes seem to be one of the largest expenses that GOOD marketers have.

Many landlords/rental owners can do away with their entire tax liability by holding the properties.

I guess you could PM me and maybe I could help, but I think this strategy would be best.

Look at an SEP IRA instead of the more common types of retirement accounts. You can contribute a maximum of something like $45k/year to it. (The maximum amount is adjusted each year for inflation.)

Charitable contributions are good.

Beyond that, look for additional expenses that will produce future returns. Don't blow money just to reduce your taxes if the things you're spending the money on won't provide any benefit to you later. For example, pour money into enhancements to your site or development of future sites. You'll get tax-reducing expenses now and (presumably) more revenue later.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by 20yearbillionaire.com
    You could get rid of a good deal of it through real estate depreciation via rental properties if you live in the US.

I just got into affiliate marketing, and taxes seem to be one of the largest expenses that GOOD marketers have.

Many landlords/rental owners can do away with their entire tax liability by holding the properties.

I guess you could PM me and maybe I could help, but I think this strategy would be best.
    You can't do PMs.. So, just tell me here..

As far as I understand it, I can only use the depreciation angle to write off some income... So, if I buy a $300k office, I can only write off about $10k a year in depreciation expenses.. Not a worthy investment in my opinion...

How can I retain 80% of my profit within my corporation this year, and use it to pay me a much smaller salary for the next 10 years?? In other words, instead of making $xxx,xxx this year, and paying taxes on it, how can I retain that money in the corp and only pay myself $xx,xxx??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Look at an SEP IRA instead of the more common types of retirement accounts. You can contribute a maximum of something like $45k/year to it. (The maximum amount is adjusted each year for inflation.)

Charitable contributions are good.

Beyond that, look for additional expenses that will produce future returns. Don't blow money just to reduce your taxes if the things you're spending the money on won't provide any benefit to you later. For example, pour money into enhancements to your site or development of future sites. You'll get tax-reducing expenses now and (presumably) more revenue later.
    Michael, doing all of those things.. Have a Solo 401(k) set up and maxing it out... I want to invest a LOT of money today, so I don't have to pay taxes on it, and have that investment grow over the next xx years..

Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    How can I retain 80% of my profit within my corporation this year, and use it to pay me a much smaller salary for the next 10 years?? In other words, instead of making $xxx,xxx this year, and paying taxes on it, how can I retain that money in the corp and only pay myself $xx,xxx??
    You REALLY should get a good accountant or tax attourney instead of listening to us wannabe "experts"

The only problem with that is that if your corporation makes $xxx,xxx this year, the corporation pays taxes on it, plus you will pay taxes on the $xx,xxx.

What type of corporation do you have?

Definitely talk to a good tax accountant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Don't want to go to an accoutant.. I like to learn/do things myself... That's why I have this 'problem'...

A good way to learn is to pay attention to what a good accountant tells you. Maybe plan to deal w/ it yourself next year. This year it sounds like you need some professional help. Sign up for a business tax course for next year.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Talking
    I already do the basics, like maxing out retirement accounts, hire a spouse and max out her retirement accounts, etc etc...
    Thanks for that idea, Code Monkey.

I didn't knew that those services , were deductible.

I hope I don't get too much, but now I will go on a new and mission this weekend.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't want to go to an accoutant.. I like to learn/do things myself... That's why I have this 'problem'...
    Yes, but you're asking here and getting your "learning" here when you can get it from somebody who's actually qualified, like an accountant. You learn on your own from books, other people etc. This isn't the sit and reflect and figuring out things out on your own type of learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Thanks for that idea, Code Monkey.

I didn't knew that those services , were deductible.

I hope I don't get too much, but now I will go on a new and mission this weekend.

They aren't. I tried writing off my marriage as a loss via bad investment and the IRS didn't allow it.

I wish I had your problem, Codemonkey.

I am very reluctant to give to charities, because I don't trust them to make good use of the money.

Some of them have very expensive TV advertising campaigns.

Some of their CEOs earn obscene salaries.

They often invest surplus funds to make extra money, and you never know what companies they're investing in.

A few years ago the world wildlife fund was found to be investing in a company which exported primates from Africa and sold them to animal experimentation laboratories.

And they employ very dubious fund-raising activities.

(One Cause, ahem...)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast