Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unhappy Hit a Deer Last Night
    When driving my daughter back from her pre-ballet classes yesterday evening, we hit a deer. First time in my life. Thankfully, I spotted him on the side of the road early enough for the breaks on my Highlander to save me from hitting him badly. He did fall... then slowly got up, and ran away (up a pretty steep hill too, which hopefully meant he was okay).

Now, why in the world do they decide to run across the roadway instead of away from it when they see a car?

Geno

What a horrible experience.

Hope your daughter wasn't too upset.

Cool
    I think at night the road is lit by your headlights so they see it better. But they don't see what is behind the lights.

Some stores sell "deer whistles" that make a noise while you are moving. Maybe that would get their attention.

Most of my vehicles made enough noise by themselves to scare any animals off the road.

ABW Ambassador
    I am glad to hear that you are ok. We see a lot of deer around here, and some do get hit.

My wife almost hit a horse a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk
    Hope your daughter wasn't too upset.
    The most upsetting thing was looking at him fall down, and slowly raise up. Anastasia was sitting behind me. So, I was the only one that saw it. Yes, quite a sad experience... But I'm glad we didn't kill him.

G.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; December 10th, 2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Fixed Typo (did -> didn't)

Wow. What a terrible experience. Thankfully you and your daughter are all right. It is good that you saw it in time to slow down and that you have a "larger" vehicle.

A local business associate of mine was not so fortunate. He spent the holidays last year in the hospital because a deer came through his windshield. He didn't see it until it was too late.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I grew up in central NY plagued with white tail deer on roads, but I was lucky and never hit one. My sister, on the other hand, hit three different deer, three separate times on the same EXACT spot on the same road. Yikes..

Where we live now in Utah, we see tons of mule deer near the roads, which are sometimes twice the size of the white tails. Not to mention elk and even moose now and then. So as you can guess I'm crawling home when they are all moving a lot, especially in the autumn months.

At any rate, glad you're both ok Geno.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It sounds like you weren't hurt and the deer even survived which is impressive. I've often wondered why they run across instead of away, but I think they aren't smart enough to understand that the car won't go off the road.

Perhaps they think cars are going to chase them, so it would be faster to go directly across the road instead of turning around to go back the other way?

Affiliate Network Rep ayakobing's Avatar
    That is one thing I fear when I am driving my little Scion at night. I am so glad that you and your daughter are o.k.

glad you are ok Geno!
    I was caught in traffic on Thanksgiving and when I finally saw what the holdup was, I lost all of my anger.
    Some poor guy hit a deer, totalled his car, the deer is lying on the ground in front of the car, and his kids are in backseat hysterical. All of this on the side of Interstate 64 with hundreds of people slowing down to look and point.
    What a Thanksgiving!
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Geno
    Yes, quite a sad experience... But I'm glad we did kill him.
    Typos can be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Typos can be fun.
    Too much work... Typing while doing other things, missing the most important part... We didN'T kill the deer.

G.

Glad to hear that you, the princess, and the deer are all okay.

One Tip: If you ever see a deer near the road that you're going to miss, slow down anyway. They are seldom alone, so there are probably others very near.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    last night, on my way home from the office, i had to screach the brakes to keep from hitting a HUGE opossum that was walking across the road like he owned it...

he's lucky that i brake for marsupials.

and i think he may have proved he does own that road.

glad to hear you guys weren't hurt at all, unlike my opossum (no threat to anything but my car's front end body molding), your deer can get people badly hurt.

Oh Geno, I am so glad that you and your princess are OK. Deer can definitely kill people by coming through the windshield. It is a double blessing that the deer seemed to live as well, but mostly because you both are safe.

We've all heard the saying "caught like a deer in the headlights". My understanding is that it actually startles them and they sort of freeze up and don't know what to do. I don't know the exact science to it though.

Again, blessings that you are both fine.

Sheri

We don't have anything more exotic than urban foxes - lots of 'em.

And they saunter across the road as if they own it.

It's quite common to come across a fox smeared over the tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri
    We've all heard the saying "caught like a deer in the headlights". My understanding is that it actually startles them and they sort of freeze up and don't know what to do. I don't know the exact science to it though.
    Sheri
    If deer respond like people, it's a hypnotic thing. If something startles you (a car backfiring, for instance) you go into a kind of trance. It only lasts for a second or two - but if someone gives you a command at that exact time you're quite likely to obey.

That's why the police suddenly appear en masse screaming and yelling at people to lie down on the ground and put their hands behind their back.

For that short window of time, they're more likely to do it than argue, run or fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Glad to hear that you, the princess, and the deer are all okay.

One Tip: If you ever see a deer near the road that you're going to miss, slow down anyway. They are seldom alone, so there are probably others very near.
    Great advice since deer run in groups. I'll add to think about these types of situations and what you would or should do ahead of time, instead of making that decision when you only have a fraction of a second to decide. In my paramedic days, we saw too many people react poorly and pay the ultimate price. It's tragic when someone swerves for a raccoon or dog and loses their life because they lost control and hit something much worse (like a tree).

Personally, I don't swerve for animals, just slow down as much as possible. We used to live out in the country so deer were a common site but always scary when driving. I've hit 4 and only 1 lived so I know what you went through Geno. I'm glad you and your daughter are fine.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    It sounds like you weren't hurt and the deer even survived which is impressive. I've often wondered why they run across instead of away, but I think they aren't smart enough to understand that the car won't go off the road.

Perhaps they think cars are going to chase them, so it would be faster to go directly across the road instead of turning around to go back the other way?
    Probably running from hunters.

I had a couple of close calls with deers but luckily never hit one. Have more of a problem (in some areas around my city) with people letting their dogs run loose. My natural reaction is brake and swerve but in certain parts, you would go tumbling down the side of a mountain (or hills as the locals call it) if you went off the road. So have to be careful.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    The most upsetting thing was looking at him fall down, and slowly raise up. Anastasia was sitting behind me. So, I was the only one that saw it. Yes, quite a sad experience... But I'm glad we didn't kill him.

G.
    Geno,

Too bad you hit Bambi, but look at the bright side!

If one of these days Anastasia ask you about why you hit the little guy, you can tell her that you did it because of This!

Glad you and the princess are ok, how did your car fair?
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    ...how did your car fair?
    Not a scratch/dent!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    do those sonic deer repellent things work? if you live in a heavily populated deer area, might be worth looking into it further (i have no idea if they work or not).

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    I'm glad that you and the Princess are safe. Moreover, I'm glad she didn't witness it. Children are so sensitive. Hopefully the deer will heal just fine and he'll have wuite a story to share with the rest of the herd.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    My husband and I hit two deer on our way home from work about 3 weeks ago. Our truck and the deer weren't so lucky though as yours were.

We were doing about 55 mph and all the sudden they were just "there". I won't go into great detail about what happens when you hit deer while going that fast in a Ford F150, but I will say it wasn't pretty. One word comes to mind... explosion. Only good thing was at least it was instant for the deer.

We had to have the police come out and do a report and put the one that was standing behind the other down. Truck had almost $3,000 in damage. We just got it back from the shop yesterday.

My husband was driving. I, myself have not yet hit one. I have come close. We got talking about it and he has hit 14+ deer in all his years of driving. Two week after I got my Envoy, he had one hit him. Deer was fine, Envoy had $1,000 in damage.

I hope I never hit one.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast