Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Completely Out of Ideas for New Site
    After the coupon/deal site idea did not work, I have been trying to come up with something good or even different. After several weeks of trying to come up with a "good" idea for a new website, I have had no brilliant ideas to speak of. Nothing that even has the slim hopes of being successful in order to justify the time I would need to invest in it.

You really have to consider a lot and answer some questions like:

- will the site offer something unique or different?
    - is this topic already flooded with other affiliate sites?
    - will the site entice users to return?
    - are you interested in the topic?
    - can you come up with unique content on the topic?

I seem to always be answering "NO" to these questions and end up junking the idea. Some would argue that if it's something your interested in, then it will ultimately be successful regardless of how you answered the above questions. I, of course, would have to disagree.

I still think you can enter a crowded market and win if you execute better. Back in 1975 who would have thought Toyota would be kicking GM butt? Fox News also came in late to overtake CNN, and Google was a relative latecomer to the search engine wars.

I'm not saying it will be easy, but usually nothing worthwhile is.

ABW Ambassador
    I gave you a few ideas in the other thread. They were niche, ones that would work. You might not have any interest in them but they would make money.

If you're just looking for things that will both make money and that you're interested in, only you would know what you interested in. Then it's a matter of doing it. As far as the time justification, test some things out with PPC first, see what converts, make a site. If it's a money issue, try some Squidoo or something. Find what works, make a bigger site.

Or just post up a bunch of things you're interested in or have some knowledge on and if you want, let the people here tell you what they think might work as far as generating some $$$.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    keep thinking, you are doing exactly the right thing here.

add in this:
    - does the site solve or ease a problem people have?
    - how can i do it better than anyone else with a related site idea?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Seymour,

For what it's worth here is my advice. And I know others here that would have the same advice to share..

Stop thinking so hard about it.

What are your true interests? What do you feel passionate about?? Whatever that is, build out a wordpress blog on that topic and start contributing content on a regular basis. After 6 months or a year of building the content, you'll naturally get links, build community, a loyal following and site authority. That's because it will be evident that you're the expert, the authority, on that topic. Posts don't have to be huge projects. Just post regularly, and link out to relevant sources. This is important. Consistency and purpose.

After a period of time building authority you can add product related posts, deep linking to feed product pages, etc. Basically begin to "monetize" that content. Since your blog will have natural authority for all the work you put in around a topic you're knowledgeable and interested in, those deep links to the product details will work like a charm to get your products ranking in the SEs for the people specifically searching to learn more about (or buy) those products.

Get it out of your head that you're going to make money right out of the gate for any new site or idea (not that you have it in your head, just saying...). It's going to take time, like any business venture, to become profitable with it.

This article might help you understand where I am coming from with this post. Stand alone datafeed sites aren't going to work any more. You need to build link authority around those feeds/product details...and the only way to do that (at least with Google) is to dig in for the long haul and start building content. Hope this helps.

GM

Everybody is different, but I would go crazy if I felt I had to come up with a 'perfect' idea for a site that would fulfill a bunch of criteria.

Plus I'd get bored if that site took up all my efforts.

I spent a couple of hours this summer & made a (mini-site) about an odd little problem some people have with their pets.
    It's making about $80/month. not much, but these things add up...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    What are your true interests? What do you feel passionate about??
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Right! I agree!

Seymour, quick... write down your top 10 hobbies, things that you like to do, things you have interests in. You have 60 secs.

There must be at least one hobby you will be able to find merchants, etc. in. It may be an overcrowded market, but I bet you can find a niche or a problem to solve and focus your site on that. Lots of people have entered into saturated sites but if you are genuinely interested, become an authority, you can be successful. Even if it's cowbells. Trust, I guess it's all yours!

These are all such great ideas.

If I could write code or create web-sites without paying $10,000 I would create social networking for people looking to learn English.

Similar to ABW but for international people learning English. The only rule would be, well no spam, but that they only speak English.

There are these sites available, but the ones directed more towards fun, almost online dating between the international users seem to explode.

To make it a little different I would host blogs. They could create pages and update them and have people leave comments. Maybe correct each other's writing. These sites attract motivated people looking to improve their English.

T h e n I would sign up with programs like mine and help teach the world English.

I might do this. Never mind....this ideas mine.

Did you ever see the Seinfelds where Kramer would say something then say "Never mind" and expect them to not address it or remember it? Ha. I love that show.

Quote Originally Posted by PronouncePro
    If I could write code or create web-sites without paying $10,000 I would create social networking for people looking to learn English.
    You can do what your talking about without $10k or knowing much code.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    If I were you I'd take Trust's ideas and go with that. The money you make might give you a boost of confidence.

If not, don't worry, someone else will. If I only had the time to go back to that thread but I'm busy with my own niches. New ideas are the last thing I need.

Sometimes it's not about building a site that you love and have so much interest in. It's building a site that is going to bring home bank. This works especially well in niche areas that don't require constant content updates.

And I don't even want to hear "oh you need large sites and you need to focus on one thing, blah, blah" whatever, I have bills to pay. You can take 12 years to turn a profit if you want but I don't have time for that.

So you can either put on a happy face and try again, sit and and complain while someone comes up with an idea that is probably in you, or you can keep your job and give up with the website idea.

Eh, sorry if that came off as mean. I need a nap...really.

Hey Sey

Is your site posted somewhere ? Can i take a look at it !

thanks ..

Quote Originally Posted by Magi
    Hey Sey

Is your site posted somewhere ? Can i take a look at it !

thanks ..
    I haven't created anything new yet. I do have an old site, if you want to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I haven't created anything new yet. I do have an old site, if you want to look at it.
    Yah can you post the old site !

Im interested in checking it out!

Yah can you post the old site !

Im interested in checking it out!
    I tried to PM it to you, but that isn't working for you. Must be the # posts you have.

Why don't you try to sell it if you're going to kill it off?

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I tried to PM it to you, but that isn't working for you. Must be the # posts you have.
    I dont have 250 post yet

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    So you can either put on a happy face and try again, sit and and complain while someone comes up with an idea that is probably in you, or you can keep your job and give up with the website idea.
    The latter sounds about right.

out of the 1300 post

does one of them have your link in it? so i can start going thru em?!

out of the 1300 post

does one of them have your link in it? so i can start going thru em?!
    Nope

ok i give up .. i guess u dont wanna show it :\

ABW Ambassador
    If you haven't found anything that works in 3 years, this isn't for you. It's just not for everybody. I can't be a surgeon because I don't think I can cut into people. I can't teach sky diving because I'm not jumping out of any damn plane.

There was a thread from a year ago, where you challenged yourself. Went from:

"I have challenged myself with a rather aggressive goal in terms of affiliate marketing success."

to

"I have decided that I will continue to challenge myself to meet my goal, but I don't think affiliate marketing is the vehicle to get me to that goal. Not by a long shot."

In just one month.

At least you have a job, which a lot of people are losing nowadays. You can keep trying on the side, try to find something that works.

I ponder what his site is about , how it looks , how the SEO is ,, how its indexed .. all these things ill be wondering about !

Don't think too hard. Just think about what you have tried to do or find online unsuccessfully. Odds are, it's a good opportunity for a site. For instance (and I've used this example before), if you're a family of five looking for a hotel, you might be frustrated to find out that most hotels only allow four people per room. Build a site around hotels that accommodate five. Or, perhaps you're trying to research digital picture frames that would be equivalent to an 8x10 picture (hint: that would be about 13" diagonal), but couldn't find a site that gave you that information. Build one and link to suggested products. Think about things you've tried to find and had a hard time finding. Those are your opportunities.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    At least you have a job, which a lot of people are losing nowadays. You can keep trying on the side, try to find something that works.
    I am very happy to have a good job. I will just keep my thinking cap on.

Lightbulb
    Hey Seymo

Since you stated you never posted your site on here ....

Maybe its time you put it on display @ http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146

the good old site / logo / banner review section !

Come on .. u can do it .. i know i did

~~
    I have suggestions for you as soon as i get the site in my head!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast