Congress to Force NCAA Football Playoff
    While I despise the BCS, I really don't think this is anything congress should get involved with. Besides lacking constitutional authority, you would think they have more important things to do.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3760232

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    our politicians are out of control with conceit, thinking they need to dictate everything to us.

ABW Ambassador
    "Rep. Joe Barton of Texas"

"He said the bill -- being co-sponsored by Reps. Bobby Rush, an Illinois Democrat, and Michael McCaul, a Texas Republican"

Longhorns are still crying.

A playoff would be great, but the money the NCAA takes on all those bowl games talk$.

But WTF BUSINESS is it of these heads how an independant sports league determines a champion?

I guess there's nothing else worth worrying about then? Maybe they could concentrate on keeping themselves out of jail?
    http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/LawPoli...4331174&page=1
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011602361.html
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1228...googlenews_wsj

Politicians | You might find a higher standard of people by visiting a crack house.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    A playoff would be great, but the money the NCAA takes on all those bowl games talk$.
    I really don't buy the $$$ argument that you hear all of the time. I mean look at most bowl games, the stadiums are half empty, and the TV ratings can't be that good. Contrast this with every major pro sport and NCAA basketball with sellout crowds and huge TV audiences for EVERY playoff game!!! A college football playoff would be huge bucks. To make up the lost revenue for the teams that don't get in (you know the ones who now play in a bowl game just because they have 6 wins) you just develop some sort of revenue sharing scheme across all of the conferences. The bowls wouldn't go away either, they would become the playoff games.

ABW Ambassador
    "I mean look at most bowl games, the stadiums are half empty, and the TV ratings can't be that good."

Which ones are half empty?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/117567

Bowls do great because college football is huge and this is the last of it for the season. Maybe some bowls with teams nobody wants to watch but if you check out that article, there were some sellouts, record attendance last year.

But you also have:

"Thanks to lackluster matchups, ratings for many premier bowls dropped last season and nine bowls failed to fill 80% of their stadiums' seating capacity."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1227...googlenews_wsj

32 bowls, so 23 had over 80%.

Money wise, if they thought they could make more with a Playoff system, they would be doing that I think.

Bowls vs. Playoffs. I've heard good reasons for either side but I just don't know.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    you just develop some sort of revenue sharing scheme across all of the conferences.
    The ACC has this for all sports. All conference members get a share of the receipts of football bowl games and basketball tournaments that an ACC conference team plays in regardless of participation. Of course the teams that play get the largest share but everyone gets something.

Now as for congress getting involved??????????? that is a crock of in my humble opinion.

Sounds to me like "some team" is PO'd because they are not in the championship game. Kids will be kids.....even after they become head coaches or congresspeople......
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Money wise, if they thought they could make more with a Playoff system, they would be doing that I think
    traditions die hard. Plus, the major conferences are the major benefactors of the BCS system, and they have the most sway. They would be horrified if someone like Boise State won a championship.

Here are some 07 attendance and TV ratings numbers I came up with. TV is where the real money is at. Unless it's BCS championship, numbers suck.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/tvratings

They don't compare to NFL playoff ratings

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...-ratings_N.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    "some team" is PO'd
    yeah. that " some team" would be Texas. Didn't they beat OU?

What is college football?
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    What is college football?
    minor leagues for the NFL; except the players aren't "supposed" to get paid.

Do these people forget these are supposed to be amateur athletes , the very concept of the players going to school to get a degree is falling more and more by the wayside. Every year the schedules get longer, the demands on the payers rougher. Now congress is going to legislate something that really does not matter? (no one dies if it does not happen)

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, the kids have to study. Not play more football Bunch of money grubbing men.

Quote Originally Posted by CCBerries
    get a degree
    for many the degree they are getting is called a BA in Football, with a minor in Physical Therapy.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I am actually glad Congress is involved in this. It keeps them busy and not messing with anything that actually MATTERS, which is a good thing if you ask me. Kind of like busy work for them
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    I am actually glad Congress is involved in this. It keeps them busy and not messing with anything that actually MATTERS, which is a good thing if you ask me. Kind of like busy work for them
    Hadn't thought about that. Always a sliver lining in the cloud, isn't there??
    Generate more fake news.

Just wondering why congress is talking about sports again. We are on the brink of economic collapse with too big to fail companies failing left and right, soaring unemployment, and potential chaos. Congress instead of focusing on making sure our kids have a future here in America, are once again spending millions to make a big fuss about some sport and how it chooses to structure its schedule. THIS IS A WASTE OF TAX PAYERS MONEY!!! Its fun to see that Congress can do what they want and get paid very well to push their own interests on the US for their personal financial growth and now their college football wishes. First steroids in baseball and the Roger Clemens congressional testimony which at least has an illegal drug part to it, but now a playoff bill! Why do Americans not see through the blatant smoke and mirror show the government has put on to distract us from terrible times. Back in the day our Congress would start wars to distract the people from bad times; I guess bringing up sport discussions is the new distraction.

These bills do not come cheap and I bet this bill will have a world of tack-ons for even more personal gain. After watching the Texas republican talk about a playoff system as his #1 priority made me loose all faith in the US government being able to accomplish anything besides spend money and distract its citizens. It is good to see that %36.1 of our GDP is consumed by these politicians who care more about a playoff system than a stable nation, reducing debt, fight stagflation, and ensure some trust in the financial markets. That's 4.7 TRILLION dollar they spend yearly!!! The NCAA is supposed to handle this kind of stuff, but then again our government is buying up the largest companies in the country now, so why shouldn't they be allowed to control college sports as well. Way to go congress, you are destroying my nation and my faith in it.

I usually am not one to protest but I can not sit by any longer and watch my country keep shooting itself in the foot. There were a few critical points in history that Americans had to become politically active to ensure their future, and believe it or not we are at one of those points again. Get active, write to your state reps, these heartless politicians are bleeding the country dry for personal gain. Oh and for the record I am in favor of a playoff system, but would give up all sports and sport discussions for a functional and representative government, and that would be a huge sacrifice on my part, but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CCBerries
    Do these people forget these are supposed to be amateur athletes , the very concept of the players going to school to get a degree is falling more and more by the wayside. Every year the schedules get longer, the demands on the payers rougher. Now congress is going to legislate something that really does not matter? (no one dies if it does not happen)

There isn't even a social injustice here, it is congress simply disrtacting people so we don't notice thier ineptitude. This whole thing makes me sick. And since when in todays day and age did college d1 football players ever get an education. I just graduated from UConn and had classes with the like of Brown and Lorenzen and they never did work, they didn't have to though cuz "Tutors" would "help" them out. What happened to the Emeka Okafors of the world that actually got a great education, not just sports training.

If athletes are not going to learn than why have student athletes, it would be better to send them to post HS training camp for a few years to pick out the ones that can make it to the pros. Oh yeah, I forgot what makes people wake up in the morning or do anything... Money. Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread