WP 2.7 is now available
    I just upgraded a couple of blogs. The dashboard is completely different. Geesh, I was just learning where things were and how they worked and they've changed it all!!!
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I am still waiting to see if it's worth upgrading.

Any feedback?

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    2.7.1 is in the works, so if you don't want to be upgrading constantly wait a few weeks.

yes, as mentioned in the wp developer blogs, they changed the interface around and I hope they fixed all the mistakes they made with 2.5.
    2.7 is supposed to allow core wp upgrades online although I doubt that will be enabled for MU (which I use).
    2.7 also added new commenting features. Just read the blog entries listed in your "dashboard" to keep up with changes.

Honestly that is the most annoying thing about WP. The constant upgrading is a very big pain especially if you have customized your theme and plugins. Half the time something breaks in a plugin or layout and then you have to go trace that down.

Anymore I wait for sometime unless it's a security release before doing any upgrading. Also consider how many darn sites I have to do it's a big job to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MeeMaw
    Honestly that is the most annoying thing about WP. The constant upgrading is a very big pain especially if you have customized your theme and plugins. Half the time something breaks in a plugin or layout and then you have to go trace that down.

Anymore I wait for sometime unless it's a security release before doing any upgrading. Also consider how many darn sites I have to do it's a big job to do it.
    A hearty "Amen" to that, MeeMaw!

My concern is always that I'll miss an upgrade that really DOES have something to do with security instead of just different bells and whistles.

Great software, but it would be even greater if it didn't take so much baby-sitting to deal with the rapid releases!

But, hey, it's free, effective, and I'm learning a lot about it just doing all that monitoring/upgrading stuff.
    Generate more fake news.

I'm thrilled with Wordpress's frequent updates. If I wanted something slow and lethargic, I'd go with Joomla.

I can't think of any theme changes that were necessary since when I started using Wordpress about a year ago. In fact I had tried some really old themes and the only thing that didn't work on them were sidebar widgets. Any changes for Gravitars and comments were to take advantage of new features, but your blogs would still work without them.

The recent addition of updating plugins online and the current addition of blog core updating (at least for regular wp) are great time savers since uploading files can take hours on a slow cable-modem and I believe I have one of the slowest cable-modem connections here.

I only wish other services/web software I use (including the ones I pay monthly fees for) would upgrade as often.

Totally agree with Lost. Excellent that they bring out new upgrades and to be honest it taikes 2 minutes to upgrade. The themes are not upgraded so it doesnt affect those, and its lovely that people are actually working on WP all the time unlike most others, even paid ones, where the people make it then sit on their arse until they HAVE to upgrade. Off to upgrade now

Just a reminder for Wordpress users.

It is good to wait a few days before updating to X.X version of WordPress (or any CMS) after it is released before upgrading because plugin designers need a chance to test their plugins and fix any bugs that occur.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    When you have 3 sites then it's fine. When you have XXX then annoying is putting it mildly.

Yes, upgrade, keep it safe, have fun but it doesn't have to be every 2 weeks. Especially when you aren't giving the plugin developers time to update, and your plugins don't work once you upgrade.

So yes it's free and what not but I still don't want to update every 5 minutes unless it's a security issue, which in that case I wish they'd take time to address multiple issues in one update instead of 3.

I just updated so I'll wait until Feb. I'm sure 3 more updates will have come to pass by then.

I do have very many more than 3 sites and still do the upgrades but thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by MeeMaw
    Honestly that is the most annoying thing about WP. The constant upgrading is a very big pain especially if you have customized your theme and plugins.
    I'm getting forgetful so putting a little readme.txt in my theme folder helps. I put any custom changes in there with line numbers and even code snips. Really helps me.

I think I know what is happening to some of you regarding themes.

Don't update the default themes that come with Wordpress. Make your own theme, or make a new folder and copy over the included theme that you want to use and rename it in your style.css. Edit the files in your own theme and they WON'T be overwritten when you upgrade. Don't forget to activate your "new" theme.

I have a heavily customized theme and about 50 blogs.

WordPress only gets real updates about 3 times a year. Any minor version is just for bug fixes and security releases.

Back to 2.7 -- I've only fiddled around a few minutes with the one site I upgraded to 2.7 and already I like some of the new features.

Being a certified "Old Guy," it may take me awhile to feel comfortable with the new dashboard, and find where everything is, BUT -- I already love the new "sticky" option for every post you make or edit. Saves a plugin that I just started using.

Along with that, I love the way it gives you lots of "screen options" in your writing/editing windows. Let's me look at what I want and place a lot of stuff just where I want it.

I agree with lostdeviant, too, that it's always good to wait a couple of weeks for the 2.7.1 that's bound to show up with bug fixes before doing a massive number of updates.
    Generate more fake news.

Apparently some aren't aware that when the script updates it can BREAK the themes. New features, different code, etc all affect the themes, and most of the times plugins as well. Those plugins are sometimes critical to the theme itself.

Has nothing to do with overwriting anything. Each unique theme is in it's own directory anyway.

So don't tell us just upgrading is quick and easy and doesn't break anything because that is simply not true. Otherwise you would be able to take a 1.5 theme and use it in 2.7 (doubtful that will work).

Last count I have about 80 active sites using WP. Each site has unique content, themes and plugins. Each site has to be updated and possibly fixed. You have to not only spend time upgrading you also have to test each site to make sure everything is still working.

Normally incremental upgrades don't break too much, but the ones that go from 2.6 to 2.7 (example) have major effects. I am dreading and looking forward to WP 3.0.

Good call. I'll have to remind some of my client sites who implement our affiliate plugin to update.

http and a telephoto
    Good reason to upgrade to 2.7, the built in updater that will make it easier to get those incremental upgrades done

But yes, those with heavily modded themes always need to be more careful!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I just upgraded most of my blogs to 2.7 and I could live without the changes, but it is a nice new Admin. All of my plugins seem to have made it through just fine
    Hi, I'm a signature.

After the initial "What the..", I must say I am rather happy with the new interface. Built in ability to do upgrades and upload plugins is definitely welcome. Although my first attempt to upload and install a new plugin as a zip-file resulted in an error message.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread