ABW Ambassador
    Public Corruption by state
    On a per-capita basis, Illinois ranks 18th for the number of public corruption convictions the federal government has won from 1998 through 2007, according to a USA TODAY analysis of Department of Justice statistics.

USA Today

Interesting, but why is "per capita" important? It seems like they're trying to minimize the corruption in Illinois. Looks like they are about 4th or 5th for total convictions. My state of Ohio has more convictions and Florida is extremely high.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'd like to see the raw figures as well as the per capita figures. Funny thing is hubby and I were talking about this at breakfast this morning.

I never would have guessed North Dakota was such a hotbed of political corruption. I'm not at all surprised to see that Florida and Louisiana have high numbers though.

I'd like to know what California is doing right. Their number is very low for such a large state with such diverse interest groups.

yeah, per capita doesn't really matter when talking about Governors, each state only has one, and Illinois is working hard to ensure they are #1.

ND had 53 convictions so I wouldn't call it a corrupt state. Illinois averages almost one per week. It would be more interesting to see what the ratio is between number of elected officials to the number of convictions. Out of every 100 elected officials, how many were convicted? The per capita is about as useful as per household fish.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    At the risk of this being considered a political statement, I will say it anyway: I wonder what the figures would have been if US Attorneys had been allowed to do their job without interference from the current administration, and had not been told to prosecute Democrats regardless of evidence, and to lay off Republicans, regardless of evidence, as was established in the Congressional hearings.

re Rhea's comment about California: Following the highly embarrassing Duke Cunningham conviction, the "responsible" US Attorney, Carol Lam, was specifically told to lay off and not go after additional Republicans in her jurisdiction, and there were only a couple of additional prosecutions of contractors who provided bribes, while there was ample evidence to prosecute additional public servants, lobbyists, contractors, and others.*

The same US Attorney had no problem prosecuting Democratic San Diego Councilmen Ralph Inzunza, Charles Lewis and Michael Zucchet on penny-anti bribery charges for giving a zoning break to a strip club owner.

_____
    *Caveat - following the exposure of the interference, there were a couple of additional prosecutions, such as that of Kyle “Dusty” Foggo, former CIA official, who was a focus very early in the investigation, but whose case was not pursued until the past 3 months, resulting in a guilty plea to a single bribery count.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Thanks for the explanation, affiliatehound. It never occurred to me that California's low numbers were due to something being done wrong, rather than something being done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Thanks for the explanation, affiliatehound. It never occurred to me that California's low numbers were due to something being done wrong, rather than something being done right.
    One follow-up: After Michael Mukasey took over as Attorney General, he closed the Public Corruption Division of the Los Angeles US Attorney's office. Sen. Dianne Feinstein called for an investigation, especially in lieu of the fact that this occurred during an investigation of Rep. Jerry Lewis (Republican-Ca), who was named one of the most corrupt members of Congress in a report from Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics. Nothing ever came of Feinstein's request, and Lewis was just re-elected.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    if US Attorneys had been allowed to do their job without interference from the current administration, and had not been told to prosecute Democrats regardless of evidence, and to lay off Republicans, regardless of evidence, as was established in the Congressional hearings.
    If this is true, it sure didn't hep Ted Stevens in Alaska. Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf
    If this is true,..
    Did you not watch the Congressional hearings?

Did you not watch the Congressional hearings?
    Like I'd believe anything they have to say. If congress had evidence of the illegal/unethical prosecutorial inteference why wasn't anything done? indictments? subpeonas? Heck, I haven't even heard MSNBC talk about it.

Send me a link and I'll entertain whatever it is congress had to say. my google search didn't turn up anything.

Like I'd believe anything they have to say. If congress had evidence of the illegal/unethical prosecutorial inteference why wasn't anything done? indictments? subpeonas? Heck, I haven't even heard MSNBC talk about it.

Send me a link and I'll entertain whatever it is congress had to say. my google search didn't turn up anything.
    No indictments because the Bush justice Dept REFUSED to take any further action. That was one of Mukasey first statements after taking office.

Here are a couple of good overviews: Dismissal of U.S. attorneys controversy and Dismissed U.S. attorneys summary.

A couple of good articles from the Washington Post, with links: Gonzales Met With Top Aides On Firings and Firings Had Genesis in White House.

Article on fired US attorney David Iglesias includes the following: "In October 2008, a report by the Department of Justice's Inspector General found that Iglesias had been wrongfully dismissed because he had refused to pursue prosecutions against a Democrat-linked community organization and a prominent New Mexico Democrat. 'The real reasons for Iglesias' removal were the complaints from New Mexico Republican politicians and party activists about how Iglesias handled voter fraud and public corruption cases in the state,' the report says. The Inspector General's report says that Senator Domenici's complaints were the 'primary" reason Iglesias was fired.'"

It dominated MSNBC for weeks as well. Here are a couple articles:
    Most fired U.S. attorneys ranked above peers
    Report: Rove was urged to oust U.S. attorney

The hearings were all over the net, TV, and newspapers for weeks, how could anybody miss that.

For more info, search for more of the Justice Dept. supervisors who testified and/or were fired when what they did came out: Kyle Sampson, Monica Goodling, and of course former Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales.

The hearings were all over the net, TV, and newspapers for weeks, how could anybody miss that.
    for most of 06 and all of 07 I was in Iraq killing terrorists (really). Guess that's how I missed it.

What else happened in 07 that I may have missed. I mean, I don't even know who won American Idol!
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontaine

What else happened in 07 that I may have missed
    Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize, and "Mr. Wizard", Don Herbert, died.

Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize
    that's funny, no REALLY. what happened?
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontaine

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread