ABW Ambassador
    Received Sharper Image's affiliate newsletter and was about to post some of their best sellers on my site with the code they provide.

Noticed that while other links in the newsletter include my affiliate ID, the Best Seller links have the following ID - id=lFgROWcxZxg - which is not mine.

Does anyone else have that same ID in what they received? Somewhat strange that some of the id's are correct and some are incorrect.

Just Lurking
    Hope that was just a mistake.

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

ALWAYS scan your links from everyone at linkshare. Not only do you need to scan the id you need to make sure the oid matches up... not to open a can of worms but the oid rarely matches, and some people believe they need to match, in order for all sales to track. LS disputes this, however.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Yes, all the product links in my newsletter had the same (not mine) ID. After someone mentioned earlier that Sharper Image was partnering with Upromise (which I went to their site and saw) I am reconsidering my partnership. Last Christmas I did a lot of business with SI but with this latest developement I just don't know now.

"Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on."
    Jerry Della Femina

ABW Ambassador
    Perhaps they're saving everyone the trouble of all the pop-up crap and simply sending Upromise's own links to put on your site?

The new, tidier scumware?

Wayne

Yeah, I've recieved the same newsletter. Not sure whether they're all my id or not, though.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Over the years I find this is a common mistake or done on purpose by programs managed by 3rd party Ad Whore firms. Is the SI affiliate manager an employee of SI or an advertising industry trainee managing Dell -Walmart -JC Pennies -SI and LandsEnd between doing their nails.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Warning! Walmart did the same thing yesterday.

I actually put up one of the links last night and just now after reading this thread discovered the id is someone else's.

-----------------------------------
    Adding:

I take that back. The links I got in my regular email are correct. But the ones in the Linkshare email system contain incorrect ids.

[This message was edited by jimbo2002 on December 03, 2003 at 10:18 AM.]

Just looked at my Walmart email. My affiliate id is in all the links except one.

Right in the middle of the "Individual Product Linking Code" box, the CyberHome 7" DVD player has someone elses code in it. - lMh2Xiq9xN0

How can an incorrect affil id get put in right in the middle of all these product links?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Right in the middle of the "Individual Product Linking Code" box, the CyberHome 7" DVD player has someone elses code in it. - lMh2Xiq9xN0 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Brats Runway Disco Playset also has the wrong code in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ellen-s4y:
    The _Brats Runway Disco Playset_ also has the wrong code in it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you're right! The image link code is mine but the click-thru link is NOT mine. It's also lMh2Xiq9xN0.

Ellen, do you have the same affil id in the links that are wrong for you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ellen, do you have the same affil id in the links that are wrong for you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's the same code - lMh2Xiq9xN0.

This is becoming much too common. Either they're doing it on purpose, or these people are too stupid to review their work before distributing it.

Ellen

ABW Ambassador
    FYI, for anyone pushing the Sharper Image air purifier (ionic breeze or something) you should check out Consumer Reports... it rips it apart - second lowest ranked purifier that they tested ...just something that came to mind while reading this thread

Zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Hope you guys get to the bottom of this. Sounds like you need to demand to get some answers and see if someone can find out who that aff ID belongs too. You are all VERY savvy! Imagine all the other affiliates that didn't catch this and are sending traffic to someone elses link. Not good!

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

ABW Ambassador
    Oh I was confused.

I too got the same wrong id for the cyberhome dvd player at Walmart. That happened to be the only link I used from the email.

Well I guess I finally have an answer to why I'm always seeing high amounts of activity with linkshare merchants I've never linked to. I've been seeing this extra activity for months.

I just did a search for the code lMh2Xiq9xN0 and it turned up this page on linkshare http://www.linkshare.com/help/links/createlinks13.html telling you how identify the parts of the linking code. My guess is that it’s a non existent code that LS probably uses in templates and the merchants either forget or conveniently forget to change before sending out the emails.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

ABW Ambassador
    Same problem with the same affiliate id for Walmart. Bratz Runway Disco Playset and Cyberhome 7-inch Portable DVD are both showing the aid of lMh2Xiq9xN0. Interesting that the id should end in "NO".

The code for the links and the corresponding aid's can not be hand coded because of their sheer numbers. To have the same incorrect aid show up in everyone's code, someone must be stipulating that it happen.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I learned my lesson years ago not to take e-mail coded links from the professional AM firms running these shows. For 2 years I had Dell and The Outpost search boxes and a few banner creatives with someone elses AID on most high traffic pages.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I have learned my lesson also dont use sharper image at all since they are on my igive list

------------------------------
    parasites = no money
    no parasites = money
    money is the choice im making i will see you there!!

Better not to put up links off the e-mail. I'll create my own.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread