KB Toys Files for Bankruptcy/Discontinued Program
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

It does not make much sense, chapter 11 is normally with a plan to come out of bankruptcy, chapter 7 is when it all shuts down and things are liquidated.

15 years and counting
    They are still active in LinkShare. I can see them with OneCause, too.
    I got caught last time, not this one. I had no room for them.

FYI, the stores are closing.

KBtoys.com is a completely separate company, they are not closing.

don't they do this every year?

> Don't they do this every year? <

Although the article says that their bankruptcy filing three years ago was their first, I'm not sure that's true. (Any earlier bankruptcies might have involved a different ownership entity or structure.)

What's really surprising is that they filed for bankruptcy before Christmas -- but long after their Christmas merchandise is in the stores (sometimes bankruptcy is filed because suppliers refuse to deliver merchandise due to non-payment; the bankruptcy filing often frees up financing to pay for new inventory).

Many consumers avoid merchants during bankruptcy proceedings, fearing that they won't be able to return or exchange merchandise. But ironically, in the current economic times, a "bankruptcy sale" might be well-received by many discount-seeking consumers.

I'm not sure that it matters if kbtoys.com is a separate entity from the stores -- consumers worried about consequences of bankruptcy will almost certainly steer clear of the online merchant, too, fearing non-delivery or non-returnability. (I bought some stuff from the eToys.com going-out-of-business sale, and got good prices -- but one of the items I ordered wasn't in the package, and they didn't answer their phones or respond to emails about the problem. So I certainly won't buy from any online "going out of business" sales again.)

FYI, kbtoys.com is owned by parentco, the same company that resurrected etoys.com They also run babyuniverse, mytwinn, dreamtime baby, babytv, poshtots, poshcravings, poshliving. More information here:

http://investor.theparentcompany.com/index.cfm

ParentCo also recently launched the the toy price comparison website "toys.com"

I've been doing a bit of research on ParentCo because I was afraid kbtoys/etoys would go bankrupt and I would be out thousands. BTW, ParentCo financials also don't look so good from the outside, although they do have deep pockets.
    Last edited by isellstuff; December 11th, 2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: refine comment on parentco's finances
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Didn't Toys R Us do the same thing last year or so? I really hate to see the pure toy stores go out of business. Wal-mart is just NOT a good alternative.

Uh-oh, it's that déjà vu feeling again... A lot of affiliates got badly hurt last time.. but then it was AFTER Christmas when affiliate exposure was even worse than it is now.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Exactly ...starting with Toys.com and all other toy programs of any great size. Time the expulsion of commission payouts and advertising costs to the bamkrupsy waste basket every Christmas holiday season. PS you can take down all Walmart links on the 15th as they misteriously no longer convert during the other 11 months...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Uh-oh, it's that déjà vu feeling again... A lot of affiliates got badly hurt last time.. but then it was AFTER Christmas when affiliate exposure was even worse than it is now.
    I hope not. Again, The Parent Company owns the kbtoys.com website, they do not own kbtoys. Its very interesting to read about all the affiliate programs that "The Parent Company" are connected to. They appear to be the fullfillment source for many companies that sell toys online. Here's their history, you will be surprised at who they do fulfillment for (and add Drugstore.com to the list in this link)

http://company.monster.com/brainpc/

Drugstore.com press release:
    http://www.internetretailer.com/pres...l.asp?id=27634

Parent Co is licensing the kbtoys name to give another brand to their etoys back-end. kbtoys and etoys are essentially the same websites with different logos.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

15 years and counting
    "We also operate KBtoys.com under a licensing agreement, and we provide toy merchandise and fulfillment for our retail partners."
    How are they going to keep their licensing agreement if KBtoys is out for good?
    I know they can start something else, but keeping the KBtoys.com name, I'm not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    "We also operate KBtoys.com under a licensing agreement, and we provide toy merchandise and fulfillment for our retail partners."
    How are they going to keep their licensing agreement if KBtoys is out for good?
    I know they can start something else, but keeping the KBtoys.com name, I'm not really sure.
    kbtoys and etoys are essentially the same website with different logos.

15 years and counting
    I'm not worried by the technical side but more by the legal aspect. Is it their best interest to keep kbtoys name? and can they do ir?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I'm not worried by the technical side but more by the legal aspect. Is it their best interest to keep kbtoys name? and can they do ir?
    I think they can pull the same kindof deal that TigerDirect did with CompUSA. CompUSA is now just a front for TigerDirect. If you look at the LinkShare affiliate info you will see that ParentCo is the one cutting our checks. I think the brand has a lot of value because it is recognized. I think people forget about bankruptcies pretty quickly but the brand lingers.

Strangely enough, I've found that CompUSA converts better than TigerDirect, at least for me. I think it is the brand...

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Yes - so they can cheat affiliates out of their commissions every year.

They always do it around Christmas every year. MyTwinn did it last year too.

Looks like affiliates would learn by now not to put them on their sites.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    All of them discontinued today:

Discontinued Merchant Programs ( More Info ) Merchant Name Date Ended Merchant Contact
    {*}Mytwinn.com (The Parent Company) 29-DEC-08 mtaffiliates at mytwinn.com
    {*}kbtoys.com (The Parent Company) 29-DEC-08 kbaffiliates at kbtoys.com
    {*}etoys.com (The Parent Company) 29-DEC-08 etaffiliates at etoys.com

Also:

Baby Universe
    Dreamtime Baby

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread