I'm not familiar with US banks (am in Europe) and for tax reasons don't want to cash the CJ check that just came until next year.

Can anyone tell me how long the checks are valid? I seem to remember it used to be 90 days, but there's nothing written on the check anymore to that effect.

No expiration date usually means a check is good forever.. better hammer that thing in case CJ goes bankrupt or a giant earthquake hits Santa Barbara! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Allen

ABW Ambassador
    IANAL nor a tax expert, and, this probably doesn't apply to you since you're not in the US...

but.. IIANM, your tax liability for earnings is based on when they were paid, or is it when earned?

In any case, for US affiliates I don't think that waiting until the next year to cash a check technically puts that earnings into the next tax year, but, I wish someone would tell me that I'm wrong because I'd like to do the same [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

lol Allen. Yeah, the thought of waiting another 30+ days to cash an affiliate check is scary. But not half as scary as my tax office, who let me off a six figure tax *pre*payment for 2002 provided I don't exceed a certain income level this year. If I do exceed that income level, they'll send the boys round with some rope, a cigarette lighter and a large can of gasoline.

Joseph - yep, where I am you can choose to do your accounts in one of two ways - either the revenue is counted on the day you earn it or on the day the money actually lands in your account. I chose the latter method for various reasons. I'm not sure how that's handled in the USA.

Checks are valid for max. 180 days after the date they were issued. This ofcourse, if there is no other indication on the check (such as void after ** days)

Remember that you have to give the check to your bank at least one month before it expires (if you are not in the US or Canada) so that they have time to cash it.

ABW Ambassador
    Exactly, Here in Argentina, The bank accepts the US checks up to 5 months later.

Fer

Thanks all for the info - much appreciated.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread