I Was a SAS Skeptic (Long..)
    Ive been coming to ABW for a few years. It was here that I first heard about SAS and so many people posted about what a great company it was and how they were making so much more money, .etc. In fact, the good things that were said were almost overkill. My natural born suspect feelers were on high alert, especially when I checked out the site.

SAS was short on bells and whistles (a lot more when I first joined) and I found it cumbersome to navigate. The merchants didnt wow me much no big names like Gap and Dell. I joined some merchants, but never really worked them like I did the chain-gang retailers. Hence I didnt have very many sales.

Misconceptions

I decided that ABW and Haiko and other SAS cheerleaders were financially involved in the company and ABW was a platform to promote and sway affiliates to join the company. This isnt to say that I felt ABW didnt offer an enormous amount of support to the affiliate world in other areas, but I did think there was a vested interest in SAS among some ABW leaders.

Mind Sets?

Sometimes my brain tilts wrong or something because getting a $2.00 commission for a $4,000 sale at Dell was far more exciting to me than the $4.00 commission I received from a $30.00 sale I had from an unknown merchant on SAS. I think this is a disease many new affiliates may share maybe? :-/

Dont ask me to explain the logic there isnt any at least not from a business standpoint.

6 Months Ago..

I did a redesign on my site which allowed me more time to work with additional merchants. I revisited SAS and utilizing their tools, signed up with several new merchants. The site is still growing, but with additional programs, the SAS merchants now receive equal attention on my site.

Current Status

In six months and during a highly competitive and tough holiday season, I am making more money on a ratio (# of merchants to earnings & # of sales to earnings) with the SAS merchants than with Linkshare and Google. Linkshare doesnt even come close in earnings, yet their merchants are many times more popular in the mainstream and I often show more pageviews for those merchants just not many sales.

OneCause

Like I said earlier, Ive come here for a few years (3 or 4) and have read over and over about parasites which are allowed to infect programs, yet nothing has opened my eyes more than the recent OneCause fiasco, of which I hold Linkshare responsible for perpetrating.

Prior to this event, my thinking was that there is a certain amount of theft in most businesses and I figured it was the cost of making money in the affilate world. Plus, much of the talk I simply didnt get.

Going Forward

To say I am going to drop every Linkshare merchant would be a lie. Id like to, but I think there are some merchants that visitors expect to see when they come to my site. Do I expect to make money from them? Not much and even less with Linkshares obvious lack of concern with my success.

However, for those merchants who are signed up with OneCause, come January, I wont be able to support them any longer.

My Stand

My stand likely wont matter to Linkshare or the merchants and I dont think it will really matter to me financially. As I said earlier, comparing numbers, my recent success with SAS merchants, many of who are smaller and less known, has proven to me that I dont have to stay associated with something designed for the purpose of stealing from affiliates at least not yet. However, if I continue to shrug it off, one day I may not have this choice.

Apologies

My original suspicions that there was a financial interest behind the SAS support shown here at ABW was true but not in the way I was thinking of it. Yes, getting behind SAS can be of financial interest to all of us, but its because of the earning potential and the satisfaction of working with an ethical company.

I had already come to this conclusion before the OneCause thread, it just put the nail in the proverbial coffin for me.

Best,
    Last edited by loxly; December 13th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

http and a telephoto
    EXCELLENT post! I especially like this part:

Mind Sets?

Sometimes my brain tilts wrong or something because getting a $2.00 commission for a $4,000 sale at Dell was far more exciting to me than the $4.00 commission I received from a $30.00 sale I had from an unknown merchant on SAS. I think this is a disease many new affiliates may share maybe? :-/

Dont ask me to explain the logic there isnt any at least not from a business standpoint.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

that's great. thanks for sharing

Very Good post

I know that $2 commission from Dell feeling I had it once until I realized all they were getting was free ad space on my site. Chalk that up to a newbie lesson I guess.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I've never had that particular problem - I have no problem by-passing the big names who think they can entice me with a 1 or 2% commission. But then I always had a thing against big corporations who think and respond like dinosaurs. And have the arrogance to expect people to be delighted with whatever they deign to offer.

I think a couple of years ago the SAS interface may have put some people off (I don't mean functionality, I mean the way it looked).

It's a lot better now. And yes, it's a great network.

http and a telephoto
    Plus affiliates need to remember, they can make one of those Shareasale "unknowns" the next big brand.... the brands all started small somewhere!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Isn't ABW a great place to learn!

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Isn't ABW a great place to learn!
    learn -- and earn!

Excellent post. In my 5 years with SAS I have seen many improvements. They keep getting better and better. I'm only a part time affiliate but I feel have a home with SAS.

Cheers,
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Thanks for posting this, leeann. Very interesting -- and very motivating. Got me eager to get some pages up today. I use almost all SAS merchants or Avantlink merchants on my sites. Haven't had much luck with CJ and NONE with LS or GAN.
    Generate more fake news.

Great Post leeann, I to start with Dell, HP, Sears, EBay, etc, etc, etc however now you will find none of these merchants on my site I always tring unknow merchants (who are converting) and start promoting them. Some I keep and some I drop but I have fould many small Gold Mines in the process.

Great post leeann.The beauty of SAS is that Brian and crew keep trying to make us happy. You don't get that feeling from the big 3.

Leeann,

That wonderful post just show, that it's never too late to see the light!

Thank you for that post, and welcome to the real deal, of working with Shareasale.

Sometimes it's good to remember that old saying: "Some of the best perfumes, come in small bottles", so just because a network is big, doesn't necessarily means, that it's better.

Btw, thanks to your post, now I feel a lot better than when I made my last post yesterday, your post just made me think, that maybe there is still some hope, for others to make up their mind, one way or the other.

Great post! When I first signed up at SAS, I didn't promote them as much, but once I started, I realized the potential. With the exception of one CJ merchant, my SAS merchants convert more consistently for me. Going into 2009, I'm definitely going to be focusing on SAS merchants more.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Before I found ABW about 3 years ago, I was just starting to see the potential at SAS so it was sweet to see the members here supporting them and feeling the same as I did.

The "secret" to SAS merchants is learning how to sell. If you can sell products or merchants, you don't need to rely on the "big brands" to sell for you. If you're doing what you're supposed to be doing as a marketer, you won't need big brands to make a living.

I can't deal with making a several hundred dollar sale and getting a few bucks in return. Not my idea of a good business plan. When you combine that agro with the fact that SAS merchants convert way better than others who are more likely than not infested with parasites who steal your sales, working with SAS becomes a business plan in itself.

For anyone not yet on the SAS band wagon, do jump in. You'll start to become a believer quickly and you'll be much happier.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    When I first started back in 2002, most of my sales were from Linkshare, Performics and Reporting.net. I really didn't bother much with Shareasale.

Now, most of my focus is (and will continue to be) on Shareasale, and all that they offer.

This next next year, I wouldn't be surprised if 90% or more of my income comes from Shareasale merchants.

Well done Brian for creating the best affiliate network on the planet.

Best Post of 2008 Candidate Leeann. Nice post!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    This is a great post and reflects my feelings so closely. It seems that because the merchants on SAS are smaller, that you do receive a little more personalized service from the AM which really helps to make selling their products easier.

I personally am so tired of the big merchants attitude, reflected even through their AM's. Don't mean to step on anyones toes by saying this, but its how I feel.

Our members are so thrilled too with these smaller companies also and what they have to offer, value, and quality of products.

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    I love it! What a great post. I couldn't agree more.

It's to bad a post like this doesn't get the same attention that a post calling out the cheaters in our industry gets.

Brent
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

ABW Ambassador
    I am still at a phase where I am not a believer. May be I need to be persistent and find better merchants. The two merchants I was promoting from sas went offline. So they definitely were not top of the class.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread