Long-Term Benefits of Affiliate Sales?
    I have been in affiliate sales for a number of years but have recently joined SAS for a couple of new sites I'm planning. I'm pleased to read here the good experiences that others have had with them.

Here's my question: In the past, my affiliate products have been things like car insurance, things that people would buy once and then have no reason to return and revisit the merchant's site.

However, my new sites focus on smaller ticket items, such as office supplies as an example, that people would buy over and over again. Won't people who search and discover my site and buy once from my merchants simply go directly back to the merchant's site in the future. Am I viewing this correctly? Any suggestions or tips?

That's the basic model.

We send a customer to the merchant in return (hopefully!) for a commission on that transaction.

The merchant acquires a customer for life. Unless our sites are extremely sticky, the customer is likely to go directly to the merchant in future.

The only think I can think of would be to send your visitors to a squeeze page to capture their e-mail before sending them off to the merchant (or aggregator).

That way, at least, you could build up a mailing list of your own.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Give visitors a reason to go back to your site.

Quote Originally Posted by ahearn
    Won't people who search and discover my site and buy once from my merchants simply go directly back to the merchant's site in the future. Am I viewing this correctly? Any suggestions or tips?

I work mainly in the hospitality vertical (hotel reservations) and, for some reason, get a LOT of repeat visitors/sales. Build a site with enough information that visitors want to return - make it "sticky."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

LostDeviant wrote: > "Give visitors a reason to go back to your site." <

Exactly right. Make your site a destination that provides some value -- whether that's good writing, good buying-decision tips, good comparisons, or just a very good collection of product links. Add value.

Makes sense guys. Thanks. I guess I'm of the "hit and run" mentality with one-time purchase types of products and must change to an "attract and keep" mode.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ahearn
    Makes sense guys. Thanks. I guess I'm of the "hit and run" mentality with one-time purchase types of products and must change to an "attract and keep" mode.
    Yes, attract and keep is the mode you will need to survive into the future.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'll add that if the merchant doesn't do a great job of keeping in front of that customer, when it's time to buy again the customer will hit the search engines like they did the first time.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

To add to what was said about making your sites sticky and adding value, I think it may also be good for affiliates to focus more on the product and the benefits of the product instead of the merchant itself. For example, this product does this, that and the other, you can go here to find it. As opposed to, this merchant does this that and the other to get you this product.

ahearn, you might find that the 'sticky' approach will also carry over into your current 'hit and run' sites. wouldn't that be nice?

good luck

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread