More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Create Product Pages w PHP/MYSQL
    Currently, I am able to use the SELECT command to create category pages with products of a certain type, all linking to the merchant site. But what about having each product link to it's own dynamically (server) created page with the longer description and larger image? I know this can be done, but am at a complete loss as to how to do it.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Instead of linking to the merchant, link to your product page. It is as easy as it sounds.
    instead of selecting all products select just that product.

Well, not sure how you want to do it, but if the products have their own unique SKU/ID you could simply create a product.php page with a template on how you want the product page to look. When you display the category, instead of outputting the merchant's product URL, output a link to product.php?sku=12345.

In your product.php, do a select query from your database where sku matches $_GET['sku']. Display the descrip, large image, etc. There's really different ways you could do it, depending on the level of complexity, but that's about the easiest way.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Instead of linking to the merchant, link to your product page. It is as easy as it sounds.
    instead of selecting all products select just that product.
    What I want to do is not only link to the product page, but have he product page created at the server. What mobilebadboy is suggesting sounds like what I need to do.

Thanx for your replies!
    Last edited by Cheesehead; December 14th, 2008 at 07:06 AM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I have given a lot of thought for a long time to doing what Cheesehead is talking about with the intent of using essentialy the method that mobilebadboy suggested. However, so far I have never actually done it because it seems to me that if the persone is interested enough to click on the link for more information after seeing the image and other information I already provided, then I am probably better off going ahead and sending them to the merchant's site. The merchant's page I figure is going to be likelier to generate a sale before the person loses interest or decides I have still not provided the clincher info to get they to buy.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that has been the logic I've followed so far.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

The product pages are nice google food... but I'd rather if the viewer has any interest their click for more information takes them to the merchant and not another layer on my site
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    What I want to do is not only link to the product page, but have he product page created at the server. What mobilebadboy is suggesting sounds like what I need to do.

Thanx for your replies!
    yes, you create the product page on the server and you link to it from the category listing page. How you do that depends on how you have the product page structured and how you have your database table set up.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread