Looking for Content Filtering Software
    Well my kids are getting older and I knew this day would come. One of my daughters is old enough to really use the computer... "Can I google horses" or can see the horse videos on youtube?"

All the computers in the house are in one room so I kinda always know what she is doing when she is in there, but I want to put something on the computers to block adult content and language.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent software application or if there is an appliance I could install for the entire network?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Banned
    The first thing you can do is check your computer. Some computers have parental control utilities already on them. Another thing you can do is set the filter on the SEs you use.

Some content filtering software include the following:

McAfee Parental Controls

Norton Parental Controls

MaxProtect

CYBER Sitter

Bsafe Online

All those mentioned by nobugs will help but there is no substitute for supervision. I for one think it is dangerous to let a child ( 16 and under ) to have a computer with net access in their bedroom. Sure they may sneak around when parents or other adults are not around and you don't want to turn your home into a police state but when a computer is in an common area they won't stray into harms' way too far and or too often.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

OpenDNS offers a simple and free alternative to software installed on each computer. It can be configured for individual systems or at your router for protection for all of the systems on your home network.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by TerriFalcone
    All those mentioned by nobugs will help but there is no substitute for supervision. I for one think it is dangerous to let a child ( 16 and under ) to have a computer with net access in their bedroom. Sure they may sneak around when parents or other adults are not around and you don't want to turn your home into a police state but when a computer is in an common area they won't stray into harms' way too far and or too often.
    Totally agree... All the computers will always be in one location. My concern is accidental exposure to adult content.
    Thanks,
    Doug

I have our family computer in the Kitchen/Family Room just to keep an eye on the 6 & 11 year old. I am also planning on buying Net Nanny. All the review I read have been great and their price is really good (under $25)

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread