Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    15 years and counting
    Another stupid merchant - HERPAFLOR
    Just received this in the mail: (and no it's not a joke)
    "No commissions will be paid on sales generated by natural search results for searches on the product name "Herpaflor" or any variations on the spelling of this product name." He don't allow PPC, either.

Guess what's the name of the product Dr. Robert M. Lavinsky is trying to sell: HERPAFLOR. The name of his website is HERPAFLOR.

These kind of people should not be allowed to open an Affiliate Program without the proper training. Maybe I can't sell a medication to treat Herpes because I'm not a Molecular Biology, PhD

wow.. no commissions on organic results?

Ummm I'll pop a question - did you somehow manage to SEO above there domain name or something?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    as these Pharma PHD wanks all just want free advertising
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

15 years and counting
    With a domain name like herpaflor.com, it would be hard for anybody to rank above him for the keyword herpaflor. Like Mike said, he's looking for free traffic.

Question
    Another question, im curious, - How in the heck would they know the click-thru went from a natural search result?

How does he plan on telling which search term people got to your site from? Guess maybe?

Insane.

15 years and counting
    I've no idea. I don't know if this guy knows what he's doing? It's for all affiliates, not only me.

I forgot: This is part of the new agreement:
    "Effective immediately (12/4/08), We will also VOID any commissions on sales that come from NATURAL search results under the search term "Herpaflor" or any variations on the spelling of this product name."

With "any variations on the spelling of this product name" he can void what he doesn't like.

Herpaflor is the only product he's selling, so if you sell herpaflor this guy may not pay you (or me). Doesn't make sense or maybe you have to be a molecular scientist to understand it.

What an idiot. Just a greedy b*st*rd.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Can we change the title to Herpaflor or would that be too much?

Did you send this Herpaflor fellow an email? I'm just interested if Dr. Robert M. Lavinsky would take the time to explain his (lack of) reasoning.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    How does he plan on telling which search term people got to your site from? Guess maybe?
    Maybe he doesn't actually plan to pay any affiliates.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Can we change the title to Herpaflor or would that be too much?

Did you send this Herpaflor fellow an email? I'm just interested if Dr. Robert M. Lavinsky would take the time to explain his (lack of) reasoning.
    Sure, I did it right away.
    If a mod can change the title, I've no problem with that. I can't do it myself.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Maybe he doesn't actually plan to pay any affiliates.
    The facts speak for themselves:
    7 Day Reversal - 66.67%
    30 Day Reversal - 75.00%
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

SEO jealousy. ;-)

Sounds like they set up their affiliate program with some assumptions on the affiliate agreement. Everything needs to be spelled out - always! It sure would be a heck of a lot easier if there were some sort of standardized affiliate agreement with checkboxes...but ummm that's another story. For now, if you want specific items to be included or excluded from your affiliate agreement, you have to take the time to type it all out. Affiliates are not mind-readers.

-sfcom

15 years and counting
    Usually, I read the affiliate agreement, from top to bottom to don't get caught promoting stupid merchants, so I'm pretty sure, these terms were not there at the beginning. Many Shareasale agreements are hard to read, others have no agreement.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I've no idea. I don't know if this guy knows what he's doing? It's for all affiliates, not only me.

I forgot: This is part of the new agreement:
    "Effective immediately (12/4/08), We will also VOID any commissions on sales that come from NATURAL search results under the search term "Herpaflor" or any variations on the spelling of this product name."

With "any variations on the spelling of this product name" he can void what he doesn't like.

Herpaflor is the only product he's selling, so if you sell herpaflor this guy may not pay you (or me). Doesn't make sense or maybe you have to be a molecular scientist to understand it.
    I know these types. They will gladly pay you to intercept traffic to their compeitors keywords -trademarks and URLs, and plop those you can fool to land on their sales pages. They realize the super affiliates out there aften offer this as a value add service.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

15 years and counting
    I had a look at their text links in the Shareasale interface:
    One is: Flor Nutraceuticals, LLC The company name
    the other: Kill Your Herpes With Herpaflor!
    So, if you use this link and rank in the search engines, the jerk will not pay you.

This from a company that uses a profile on myspace to advertise?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=402894477

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Because of the way they are going about this, it isn't the best policy obviously.

However - it does bring up a point which is worth talking about.

Merchants are going to be continually looking to Affiliates to bring them new customers. As they become more familiar with how search works, it is becoming more common for them to consider searches (either paid PPC searchers, or Organic) on their company name to be less valueable in the Affiliate Channel. They feel that they can capture that customer on their own because they are either specifically looking for their company name, or the Merchant has a strong enough search effort on their own.

They will continue to look to Affiliates to bring returns on avenues of traffic that they can't manage on their own. This should, in my opinion, be looked upon as an enourmous opportunity for any Affiliate who can deliver. Merchants will place far greater value (read: higher commissions) on Affiliates who can bring new and untapped sources of traffic/customers/sales. In this case, the Merchant has decided to place zero value on Affiliate traffic coming from certain sources.

Again - the above is less about this specifc Merchant than it is a general observation of the industry.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

So affiliates that have sites that get better rankings than the merchants themselves aren't valuable and should be penalized?

Isn't the merchant still getting the sale even if they have to pay a small percentage to an affiliate?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    "No commissions will be paid on sales generated by natural search results"
    Unbelievable. I haven't branched out into Herpes meds yet, but when I do I'll be sure to avoid this guy.

15 years and counting
    Well, the good old time when affiliates were bringing value to merchants is dead, Brian. Affiliates are bringing traffic, now. Period. Some did their best to kill affiliate marketing a long time ago.
    I'm not talking about Shareasale, even if I don't agree with what some affiliates within Shareasale are doing, but it's an other story. I consider Shareasale as one of the last fortresses before the wild west and I appreciate your efforts.

Affiliates using organic traffic should not be penalized. This guy don't respect the basic rules of affiliate marketing. No wonder why some affiliates don't respect their merchants after that. Who's going to blame them?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    Because of the way they are going about this, it isn't the best policy obviously.

However - it does bring up a point which is worth talking about.

Merchants are going to be continually looking to Affiliates to bring them new customers. As they become more familiar with how search works, it is becoming more common for them to consider searches (either paid PPC searchers, or Organic) on their company name to be less valueable in the Affiliate Channel. They feel that they can capture that customer on their own because they are either specifically looking for their company name, or the Merchant has a strong enough search effort on their own.

They will continue to look to Affiliates to bring returns on avenues of traffic that they can't manage on their own. This should, in my opinion, be looked upon as an enourmous opportunity for any Affiliate who can deliver. Merchants will place far greater value (read: higher commissions) on Affiliates who can bring new and untapped sources of traffic/customers/sales. In this case, the Merchant has decided to place zero value on Affiliate traffic coming from certain sources.

Again - the above is less about this specifc Merchant than it is a general observation of the industry.
    This is one of the merchants you should deactivate. There was another thread with a merchant that had some ridiculous terms as well. Look at the reversal rate for this merchant. If you put them up on any page on your site, there is a chance the search engines will crawl and index those pages and those pages might rank well enough to send traffic to the merchant. But they don't want to pay for it. That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by beachcom
    What an idiot. Just a greedy b*st*rd.
    And a dumb one too.

Maybe they're smoking crack.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    This is one of the merchants you should deactivate. There was another thread with a merchant that had some ridiculous terms as well. Look at the reversal rate for this merchant. If you put them up on any page on your site, there is a chance the search engines will crawl and index those pages and those pages might rank well enough to send traffic to the merchant. But they don't want to pay for it. That's ridiculous.
    Agreed.

What if you have a medical review site and your write up a review on the product? If your site has power within google it's very possible that review or article could take you to the #1 spot for the product name in google. Rather hard to review a product or write an article without mentioning the products name.

So because you have a site that does well in the rankings and has good traffic then the publisher is worthless to the merchant and not as valuable? That is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard stated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast