Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Google changes anger web businesses
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/3290277.stm

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

ABW Ambassador
    It sucks, but a good business shouldn't be reliant on free Google traffic. I think next year the playing field will be leveled into 3 Yahoo - Google - MSN Search And who knows what whoever buys Google will do with it, maybe try to milk it and end up like some other past search engines. But news like this doesn't help them at IPO time, i think they waited to the last minute to get a hold on this SPAM problem knocking out sites they shouldn't have. It's in their financial interest to work things out soon.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Maggie Vandenbrekel is a director of Coconut Connections, which sells coconut oil online.

A search for "coconut oil" on Google UK would bring it up in the top spot.

Now it doesn't even appear in the top 100.

"It's devastated our business," says Maggie.

"People can't find us when they look for us on the search engines.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. It's called Google Adwords. Welcome to the new and richer Google, Inc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Some critics say it's Google's way of trying to drive up ad sales - it is possible to pay to make sure your site shows up prominently.

But the company denies this.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

<TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=600><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

What can an internet business rely on for a source of customers? Repeat customers are wonderful but if you don't get them the first time you'll never get repeats.

Google controls 55% of all daily web activity. Should they be held accountable for the business that is generated by their company?

Relying on free search engine traffic may be a risk many affiliates are willing to take, but any commercial organization that depends on Google for their well-being probably deserves to go under....

(or is that too harsh?)

Go to JimWorld and you can debate this topic endlessly in about 50 different threads.

But my opinion is that free results are analogous to the white pages, while Adwords are the yellow pages.

Can't build a business, and model, pinning your hopes on free search engine results, IMO.

Now if they had a monopoly on paid search results then everybody would have a valid argument, IMO.

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

There is some truth to that but let's say you built a store next to a major roadway and they sudddenly ripped up the road and moved. Doesn't that compare?

I was thinking, "what's an anger web business and why is google changing them??"

This signifies that it is time for me to go home and rest.

-patrice

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    There is some truth to that but let's say you built a store next to a major roadway and they sudddenly ripped up the road and moved. Doesn't that compare?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Big difference governments puts in roads for the public good however Google puts in roads for its own good. Enjoy the road while it's there but don't think for one moment Google won't yank it out from under you.

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

"There is some truth to that but let's say you built a store next to a major roadway and they sudddenly ripped up the road and moved. Doesn't that compare?"

I don't think so because you paid for the location...

Now if for some reason you were making tons of money from a free listing in the phone book, and that book went out of business, AND, somebody came and yanked them out of everyones homes...

But so what, it was free, gravy, good fortune, that the free listing was a benefit to you.

One simple fact is that SEO has become a business and there are 20 or so good spots on the first 2 and a 1/2 pages of Google, that hundreds, if not thousands of businesses are trying to occupy, through deliberate manipulation, (SEO, over SEOing, spamming, etc...), that Google takes exception to.

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patrice - eastwoodcompany.com:
    I was thinking, "what's an anger web business and why is google changing them??"

This signifies that it is time for me to go home and rest.

-patrice<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

You go home and have a good rest...

When I was a small child listening to the radio, I was baffled by the D.J's announcement at the end of a song...

Who are these strange people called the 'Franks'?

And, where is this strange place called 'Atra' that they live in?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This time I agree with Buddha.

Google's a gravy train, I and millions of others jumped on it, that doesn't give Google a responsibility to keep it rolling.

It's more like a rodeo. The winner is the one who can stay riding despite all the bucking!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Who are these strange people called the 'Franks'?

And, where is this strange place called 'Atra' that they live in?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haaaaahahahahahaaa!!! I will never look at old blue eyes the same way again.

Now, back to the anger web businesses...I want to get into that racket. I think there is a big market for anger.

-patrice

Anger... I think if someone could come up with a formula for allowing the healthy, non-destructive release of that particular commodity the world would be a lot saner and healthier

Simple forumula...

Come to AbestWeb and engage in, or start, heated arguments!!!

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

Quite seriously, I think giving people an arena to rant in is a very important function of this and any forum.

The danger, of course, is that it can turn personal, if someone takes exception to your rant, and people can get really hurt in the flak.

Ultimately, Google will pay the price for delivering poor SERPs. Let's face it, the public is fickle and fame is a fleeting thing. Just ask all the actors and actresses who were formerly numero uno, but can't be found anywhere today. They will tell you it was like someone turned off the light. Suddenly, it was...no more.

The same will happen to Google. If the results returned aren't relevant, or if they're spammy, people will stop using it and find a better SE.

Andy

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Personally I find that the wholesale slaughter of thousands and thousands of video army men and revolting peasants to be about as close as it gets for a healthy, non-destructive release.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

I am still personally recovering from things I have said that I am not proud of, (not anything anyone has said to me), and vowed not to do it again, and so I am all over that sentiment...

I will find more tactful ways to disagree henceforth...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

NotKrooked,

That is just a ridiculous statement.
    "simple formula" Bull!
    You have no idea what you're talking about!

CDC

How's that?

Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optomism to have posed the question in the first place. (John Cleese: Cheese Shop)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Personally I find that the wholesale slaughter of thousands and thousands of video army men and revolting peasants to be about as close as it gets for a healthy, non-destructive release.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got through "Call of Duty"...

It's BRILLIANT

better than MOHAA

(must kill Germans....must kill Germans... )

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You UKers need to give Ms. Coconut Oil Gal a ding-a-ling (Tally-Ho or whatever) and tell her to open up an affiliate sales program. Some new traffic then can come from pre-sell links on small web sites rather then 100% coming from freebee Google and a shopping web ring.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

CDC,

Huh?

Or are you just trying to bait me...

If so, thanks for the anger therapy...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

You're Welcome!
    CDC

ABW Ambassador
    I keep reading this thread as Google Changes "Anger Businesses On the Web" and i think, I should start me one of these anger businesses.

Call of duty was too short, but fun.

Chet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast