Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is anyone making money with LinkShare?
    I have been an affiliate with a number of merchants through LinkShare for nearly two years. In that time, I have sent literally thousands of clicks to them. And in that time I have had exactly 2 conversions. Is there something going on there that I don't know about? Is it just me? Does anyone else have a similar tale to tell?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savinglady
    I have been an affiliate with a number of merchants through LinkShare for nearly two years. In that time, I have sent literally thousands of clicks to them. And in that time I have had exactly 2 conversions. Is there something going on there that I don't know about? Is it just me? Does anyone else have a similar tale to tell?
    Hi,

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=112872

I suggest reading all 33 pages -

~ Denis

ABW Ambassador
    Has to be something on your end. Could be lots of things. Are your links coded correctly. Could be your merchant selection. Are you using using just a few, or hundreds. Might do a search on them here and see what comes up. Would need to know more info. But I use lots of them since I have a coupon/deal type site and some merchants convert better than others. Overall a 4.2% conversion for this entire year. My best merchant converts at over 14%, my worst less than 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    Hi,

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=112872

I suggest reading all 33 pages -

~ Denis
    That wouldn't be the problem. It might affect it some but that kind of thing would affect just about all affiliates and everybody would be seeing those bad conversions that they're seeing but not everybody is. A lot of times people will think parasite first and stop there and not check anything else out and it's usually something else.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Has to be something on your end. Could be lots of things. Are your links coded correctly. Could be your merchant selection. Are you using using just a few, or hundreds. Might do a search on them here and see what comes up. Would need to know more info. But I use lots of them since I have a coupon/deal type site and some merchants convert better than others. Overall a 4.2% conversion for this entire year. My best merchant converts at over 14%, my worst less than 1%.

That wouldn't be the problem. It might affect it some but that kind of thing would affect just about all affiliates and everybody would be seeing those bad conversions that they're seeing but not everybody is. A lot of times people will think parasite first and stop there and not check anything else out and it's usually something else.
    Hmmm - you're right. Thousands of clicks and only 2 conversions. I must have my blinders on (working on the 'issue' as we speak).

Sorry, should have re-read the original post and replied more appropriately, as you did.

Off to get more coffee...

ABW Ambassador
    It depends on what merchants you are promoting, and the quality of the traffic you are sending.
    I don't really promote Linkshare merchants anymore. I did get 2 sales from 2 visits with the same merchant. Quality traffic will convert at a good percentage

ABW Ambassador
    Yes I'm another who sends plenty of traffic including high quality targets clicks but very few conversions. The stupid thing is with LS merchants is that I spend more time with their merchants than any other network since LS don't offer a promotions feed etc so all these links in emails have to be added manually. They do have a few merchants offering updated RSS feeds but not all merchants use them while many of the affiliate managers are very lazy and don't update them. I don't sign up to LS merchants anymore unless there is a special need for them as I just don't make enough commissions to warrant the work in updating links that don't convert. I can spend the same amount of time on a Avantlink, SAS or CJ merchant and get a lot more commissions.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

It really depends on the merchant.
    Some are cheating, and I am pretty convinced about it no matter what anyone tries to convince me otherwise.
    Some are cheating, some have a 10 minutes cookie (that means that while the user browses the page, and registers and actually pays with the credit card, the cookie is long gone. THAT'S CHEATING TOYSRUS, some have phone numbers listed and don't track those leads. "Call if you need a better price"... THAT'S CHEATING FASTFLOORS.
    [URL=http://www.pexcornel.com]Pexcornel blog[/URL]

Do you convert better with other programs? Do you have enough variety of merchants you are promoting?

I think getting hooked up with one or two merchants and staying that way can be a problem. I'm not opposed to pausing a semi-successful merchant to try/test another.

Linkshare is not my best converting program but I seem to have better conversions than you are experiencing. Try to get involved with the Affiliate Managers and seek advice, it never hurts to ask =)

Good luck

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    I can spend the same amount of time on a Avantlink, SAS or CJ merchant and get a lot more commissions.
    I agree. I have seen immediate conversion gains with merchants who moved from LS to CJ, without me changing anything on my site or my ppc.

Not since they became a parasite.

No LinkShare Commissions
    I read all 33 posts, and I'm not exactly sure what is happening except that clicks are being hi-jacked by some charity site. Could someone explain it in more detail please.

Thanks.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I read all 33 posts, and I'm not exactly sure what is happening except that clicks are being hi-jacked by some charity site. Could someone explain it in more detail please.

Thanks.
    You can read through the thread that is 30 pages long which is posted above.

If you want the Readers Digest version go here
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=113708

15 years and counting
    I have to agree with Trust regarding savinglady problems and I don't think parasites are the main cause of her lack of conversion.
    Thousand of clicks in two years may seems a lot but it's nothing if it's spread on several merchants on a long period.
    You can make money with LinkShare with the right merchants. But, many merchants are not worth to work with for different reasons.
    Also, be careful, LinkShare is notorious to don't track on several platforms. Check your code at the source. If your Web page editor adds 'amp;' to every '&' in the LinkShare code, you're out of luck. The link will work but the sale will not track.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Check your code at the source. If your Web page editor adds 'amp;' to every '&' in the LinkShare code, you're out of luck. The link will work but the sale will not track.
    I better check that
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Hold the freaking phone! Are you saying that affiliate links with the '&' displayed as '&' don't track as well? Or don't track at all?

Check your code at the source. If your Web page editor adds 'amp;' to every '&' in the LinkShare code, you're out of luck. The link will work but the sale will not track.
    Any proof of that actually happening these days (real tests, not just whatever LS reps or help docs say)? I have a hard time believing that, just coming from a web standards standpoint. Any modern browser should not see any difference in those, and I don't believe anything differently should be passed on to Linkshare. There may have been an issue back in the day (and I see the reference still exists in their help section), but I've never seen this issue come up with any other network or system out there.

Arrow
    Is anyone making money with LinkShare?
    Not me, yet!

Because five years ago I learned about parasites, and networks that work with parasites...

And since I didn't wanted to get infested, or say one thing and do another, I haven't made any money with them, yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Not since they became a parasite.
    Well...

According to everything I have learned so far, they just become a parasite last month...

So it looks like I have lost five years, of making at least one sale there in all this time...

But, that's ok!

If the world is going to end on 2012, like many people people still believe, then I guess I still have about four more years to make some money with them...

Happy New Year!

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Any proof of that actually happening these days (real tests, not just whatever LS reps or help docs say)? I have a hard time believing that, just coming from a web standards standpoint. Any modern browser should not see any difference in those, and I don't believe anything differently should be passed on to Linkshare. There may have been an issue back in the day (and I see the reference still exists in their help section), but I've never seen this issue come up with any other network or system out there.
    It has been going on for years. The first time I saw it was with the first version of FrontPage. I had multiple heated discussion with Messer before he came back with apologies and yes LinkShare published a bulletin at that time to notify the flaw in their software. It's doing the same if you're using Eudora. The AMs were sending links in their emails and Eudora was changing the links and sure enough the sales were not tracked.
    Wordpress and a few other CMS are changing the links. I've never heard LinkShare saying it was fine now. They still have something talking about that in their help section.
    The LinkShare rep did acknowledge the problem not so long ago on ABW (Before the OneCause disaster).
    http://helpcenter.linkshare.com/publ...questionid=448

It has been going on for years. The first time I saw it was with the first version of FrontPage. I had multiple heated discussion with Messer before he came back with apologies and yes LinkShare published a bulletin at that time to notify the flaw in their software. It's doing the same if you're using Eudora. The AMs were sending links in their emails and Eudora was changing the links and sure enough the sales were not tracked.
    Wordpress and a few other CMS are changing the links. I've never heard LinkShare saying it was fine now. They still have something talking about that in their help section.
    The LinkShare rep did acknowledge the problem not so long ago on ABW (Before the OneCause disaster).
    http://helpcenter.linkshare.com/publ...questionid=448
    I'm aware of the history of the issue, including Steve's posts here and their help document. What puzzles me though, is that from what I can tell, Internet Explorer (haven't tried to trace the path in Firefox) interprets both ways of linking (valid & and non-valid &) as the same thing when the link is clicked. No discernible difference. Has anyone actually run a test to see if this affects all browsers, now? I'm still puzzled about how when browsers seem to interpret either as the same thing, why the browser would pass on different information in each case to LinkShare's systems.

If there still is an issue, well, how many years has this been for them to fix it? 6, 7? I would do a test, but I have nothing in Linkshare to purchase for a test transaction. I also wouldn't want to ruin my now 8+ year streak of $0 earned from Linkshare in my account . My first affiliate account + last choice of a network to run offers from.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood
    Hold the freaking phone! Are you saying that affiliate links with the '&' displayed as '&' don't track as well? Or don't track at all?
    LinkShare don't do it half way. It doesn't track AT ALL. I did my own test (a long time ago)
    It took us months and months to get an answer from LinkShare the first time. I don't remember if ABW was up at that time but I remember Haiko was upset, too.
    I've no idea if LinkShare has done something to correct this lately. I've not seen or received any written communication on it. Their warning in the help section was updated after the new login so I believe it's still accurate.
    Remember, the merchant is still making the sale, LinkShare looks good, the merchant doesn't have to pay a commission, even if LinkShare don't get their dirty %, they are still paid by the merchant. It's a way for LinkShare to compensate the commissions stolen by OneCause to the merchant. Who's complaining?

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    I'm still puzzled about how when browsers seem to interpret either as the same thing, why the browser would pass on different information in each case to LinkShare's systems.

If there still is an issue, well, how many years has this been for them to fix it? 6, 7? I would do a test, but I have nothing in Linkshare to purchase for a test transaction. I also wouldn't want to ruin my now 8+ year streak of $0 earned from Linkshare in my account . My first affiliate account + last choice of a network to run offers from.
    It works just fine for all the other networks or indy tracking systems, you can use '&' or '&' with any browser, but not for LinkShare.
    If you look at the source code of many blogs on the web, you'll see a huge number of '&' transformed as '&' in LinkShare code. As far as I know, these people are not top performers. On the other side, if you look at the source code of LinkShare super affiliates, they all use a redirect or have the correct LinkShare links.

Not any longer. I've got a small check sitting right here from L/S - and it may be the last (actually I may get a small one next month - from a few sales earlier this month).

I have been deleting links and replacing the few merchants I still have remaining with them - ever since I became aware that they, themselves, have become a parasite. I am no longer going to check and police any Linkshare associations - it is not worth my time. There are thousands of merchants from which to chose in the networks that maintain ethical standards, such as SharaASale, AvantLink and Buy.at.

Linkshare as a Parasite = http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=112872
    (short version, primarily for merchants = http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=113708 )
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

15 years and counting
    You still have honest merchants at LinkShare. You have also programs managed by honest OPMs like AMWSO, Chris and others. I'm not going to give up. I don't like LinkShare for what they did in the past and are doing right now with OneCause and others. That's ugly and not acceptable. I still want to keep a link with some merchants and push them to switch to another network.
    I made a bunch of money with many LS merchants before the parasites. I quit working with them a long time ago but now, I lost the power I had to motivate these merchants to leave LS.

......I lost the power I had to motivate these merchants to leave LS.
    I don't even pretend to myself that I can "motivate" merchants (well, maybe one of my hospitality merchants). My main task is to motivate "me" to do the right things to advance my business while maintaining my ethical standards.

You still have honest merchants at LinkShare. You have also programs managed by honest OPMs like AMWSO, Chris and others......
    That is true and it is a bit sad for them. I know Chris and some of the other good guys at AMWSO (and elsewhere). But I also question all of the "problems/errors" in LS's tracking - which, unfortunately, the good guys can do little (or nothing) about.

......I don't like LinkShare for what they did in the past and are doing right now with OneCause and others. That's ugly and not acceptable.......
    Absolutely agree - not acceptable. However my ethical standards will not allow me to "consort with thieves" (as the saying goes). To remain with LS would mean that in a way, no matter how small, I condone the thievery that I know is occurring. I just cannot tell myself, "Well I know they are acting unethically, but it is OK for me to support them by working with "certain" merchants because [insert rationalization here]."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast