Heron on the Roof
    This heron came to visit on the roof just across the way yesterday.

Noone here will have outside fish because of this bird We have a lovely wildlife reserve just 30 seconds from my house and they come there every year. Beautiful.

The roof itself is interesting with that moss in the cracks and those lichens.

http and a telephoto
    Awesome!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

the flats I live in (that one is across the road) are from around 1960's. The whole area was farmland back then, now a great big housing estate, but it is on the back of the Pennine Way with beautiful countryland and not far from the River Mersey (of Paul McCartney fame) in fact, in the summer I bike there with my dog runnng beside me and have picnics on the river bank.

(my bf and Max)

The wildlife reserve is just across the road and is fenced off completely. Purely wild in there for the birds with a lake (large pond really)

Right outside my gate at the back there is a football field, well two on the one field, and they arent allowed to build there. There are always loads of birds on it after the football at the weekends due to the earth being kicked up and the worms that surface.

I actually lived in a small village down south (UK) before I came here so I was very nervous about moving to Manchester. This area is gorgeous though so its not been that bad

And we have Herons........

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    The roof itself is interesting with that moss in the cracks and those lichens.
    ...And bird dropping highlights...

A neighbor had a nice pond in their back yard a few years ago. A particular heron scoped it out one day and became a regular visitor. He'd sit on their roof for a couple minutes, choose a nice coy, and swoop down for a meal. The pond is no longer there...

X

The cheeky monkeys come back too, to check. You can remove the fish but they dont always believe you LOL

I used to work in East India Dock in London, and there's quite a colony of cormorants in that part of the Thames, around the mouth of the River Lea. We used to watch them wrestling with eels they caught in the river.

Oh London Docks.... I was caught on Police, Camera Action on my ZZR1100 round there Not my fault, a jag cut me up on a mini roundbout and the police caught it on car vid Claim to fame LOL

I love seeing the birds, they are so heartless when there is food about, arent they, especially the fishers LOL

We have three koi ponds in our back yard and have lost a couple fish to the herons. One day I stepped out the back door and saw a moving shadow on the deck in front of me. I turned around and was looking at a heron on the roof. It was as surprised as I was and took off. It is a heavy bird and dropped slightly and slapped me in the face with it's wing. I almost wet myself with excitement.

Since then we put a fake plastic heron near the ponds. The herons won't disturb another heron's feeding area. We have not had any more feathered visitors drop in for lunch since then.
    ~Ernie

I didnt know that! I built a pond but just have some frogs in the summer, havent put fish in there. Perhaps I will grab a plastic bird too! Thanks for that

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread