This is the e-mail from joann.com and my reply. I'm stuck for words.
    quote:
    Thank you for this e-mail. I was just on the verge of finishing my datafeed driven site comprising of just your products.

When I read such a load of hogwash like this you have sent I am thankful I did not open the site. Your problems are not what you think they are, your problem is because you are paying E-Bates for changing your affilliates links and more importantly they are changing you own. Can you not see if somebody types in the address bar www.joann.com they change the cookie so they get the commission that rightfully was your own. I'm sorry but I do not wish to do business with anybody that uses people who use those kind of tactics.

<quote>Top affiliates earn $4,000+ in commissions per month.</quote> Yes and I have just told you how they do it.

Thank you goodbye.
    Gordon

>
    > Hello Gordon Skevy,
    >
    > We have an important announcement about the joann.com's commission structure with Gordon Skevy.
    >
    > joann.com can help you make money through its affiliate program...
    >
    > - joann.com has grown its business through affiliates by approximately 300% this year.
    > - Top affiliates earn $4,000+ in commissions per month.
    > - We are expecting to double again next year through brand-new products, increased traffic and even more exciting promotions.
    > - joann.com is the Internet leader in the huge arts & crafts market and benefits from Jo-Ann retail stores in over 900 locations nationwide.
    > - joann.com provides deep discounted products, as well as additional discounts for its online customers.
    >
    > But we have learned we are losing money on our affiliates orders...
    >
    > - A big reason for our affiliate success is our highly aggressive promotional offers, i.e., 40% off, free shipping with little or no minimums and additional percents or dollars off our already-low prices. We are finding that we cannot be successful if we provide both aggressive offers and keep affiliate commissions at their current levels.
    >
    > Thus, we need to change the commission structure to 8% going forward (effective 12/2/02). There is a performance incentive: all sales over $10,000 each month will receive a commission of 10%.
    >
    > Thanks for your continued support and we look forward to many more years of successful growth together.
    >
    > If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know. Feel free to contact me directly.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Patricia Ancheta
    > joann.com
    > patricia@joann.com

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

FYI - Joann.com typed into the addy bar, with the eBates MMM goes to:

http://www.ebates.com/mall_ctrl.jsp?...om%2F&mini=yes

and then:

http://www.joann.com/?AID=446092&PID...ebs29362747sbe

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Way to go, Gordon! Great job!

You told 'em NO and you told 'em WHY. Perfect!

If they ever reply, I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

-- Mike O

yes it is too bad....

I'd like to know how patricia thinks dropping our commission rates will help us make money lol. I almost fell out of my chair.

quote:
    We are expecting to double again next year through brand-new products, increased traffic and even more exciting promotions.

Who is going to give them more traffic? Not me. Perhaps the sites that don't know better will, and thats fine by me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

I am going to drop a line to a few competitors to joann and ask them to provide some product links. If not, I'll make my own. I am sure they will agree given the time of the year. Once that is done I won't be switching back to joann products.

For those who think this is an absolute disaster, there are a lot of alternatives in cj and linkshare to replace joann, who pay 10%, and a few that only pay 5% but still worth using. Unfortunately they are not all under 1 roof.

joann is history

I just sent Patricia an email making my feelings known, too.

From a fresh install (as of late last night) of MMM, going directly to http://www.joann.com landed me on
    http://www.joann.com/?AID=446092&PID...ebs29393814sbe

Here are the results going thru my affiliate link --

1st time - no redirect
    2nd time - no redirect
    3rd time - redirected by eBates - landed on http://www.joann.com/?AID=446092&PID...ebs29396312sbe
    4th time - redirected by eBates - landed on http://www.joann.com/?AID=446092&PID...ebs29396432sbe

Incredible!

Really incredible!

Just the type of positive, upbeat message that encourages all of us to rush out and make pages for them.

Totally clueless.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

Moved to the CJ forum.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    I have tested Joann, MisterArt, FlaxArt and Ebay for Art & crafts related products.

Joann gave me the Worst EPC so far....

FlaxArt was very unstable, low the last times, MisterArt performed smoothly (batched daily), but without incetives I found Ebay possible to generete a higher EPC, but December comes with great incentives for MisterArt.

Can't say anything about DickBlick art Materials (5%) because they rejected me, and did not answered my msgs, they missed my huge traffic for that category.

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    Work hard and have your commish stolen - get 8% on the little bit not stolen.

Steal others commish - get 10% .. woo woo.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    As haiko pointed out my fist 2 clicks showed my PID for Joann.com but the very next one showed ( after quick page refresh) http://www.joann.com/?AID=446092&PID...ebs29429236sbe eBates must rotate the PID swapping with some frequency program. You'd think with all the flack going on over the last 24hrs they'd just turn off the TopMoxie ID swapping routine. Direct typing the URL in the address bar always shafts the merchant as does a bookmark.

Sorry for that being a commissionable link above so please don't buy anything from it.

WebMaster Mike

I've put this on pages that the merchant is scumware

Due to our supplier of these products working with a parasitic merchant we feel obliged to remove all this merchants products from our site. For this reason we are removing most of our Academy sleeping bags until we find another supplier.

We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience this may cause.

We do offer some similar sleeping bags, please take a look here
    Sleeping Bags

PS the link does not work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Sorry about the size.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

The ironic thing about the merchants allowing parasiteware is that the day will come when the parasites can be blocked. When this happens, these merchants will be losing sales and we WILL remember who they were and not affiliate ourselves with them. The merchants who only cared about the dollar and accepted the scumware pirates will be the ones losing those dollars because they allowed the scumware pirates to steal our commissions.

Well, gee when I do my Pagan crafts site, guess who I WILL NOT be using.

And, guess what, Pagans make a LOT of things by hand since thay are hard to purchase and we like putting our own energy into things, anyway.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread