Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Conversion Trend Pointing Down
    All my GAN efforts are coupon related so maybe the deals are poorer, but the trend in conversions is disturbing.

5.26% January 2008
    2.90%
    4.30% March
    4.58%
    2.40% May
    5.04%
    0.70% July
    0.98%
    0.00% Sept
    1.50%
    2.08% Nov
    0.00% December 2008
    2.37% Average Conversion for Year to date

40 - 80 different merchants in any month with an average around 100 clicks a month.

Now I realize that's not a lot of traffic, but the trend is big in the wrong direction. I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

ABW Ambassador
    100 clicks total for the month? If it's 100 total for the month, you just can't judge anything with that kind of traffic and spread out among that many merchants. That would average out to like 1 or 2 clicks per merchant, per month.

Or are you talking about 40-80 clicks per merchant, per month?

Just checked for this month and I'm at 5.43% overall.

15 years and counting
    What reports do you use to check your conversions month by month? Where do you see your Year to date?
    I know there's one on the front page, is it the one you're using?
    I know mine is dropping from 5 or 6% or more roughly every month to 2.12% as of today for 24,540 clicks. Not to good for December, even if I've some merchants doing great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    What reports do you use to check your conversions month by month? Where do you see your Year to date?
    I go to Reports/Performance then set Timeframe to "Past 365 Days" with Group Data By: "Month". I leave it on "All Advertisers", "Overview Data", "Confirmed Only".

You now see monthly conversions (Total Conv. %) and the Grand Total for year to date is at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    If it's 100 total for the month, you just can't judge anything with that kind of traffic and spread out among that many merchants.
    I realize it's not a lot of clicks, but the trend is still there. If you would draw a graph it would show a steady down trend.

I have only been with GAN for about a year and this trend doesn't make me want to try harder.

ABW Ambassador
    You can't get a trend on 100 clicks a month spread out between 40-80 merchants. You just can't. I wouldn't even judge just one merchant on that kind of traffic. And then with even that, it's going to be just like any other network. It's more the merchants than anything. I'm sure there are plenty of affiliates doing just fine with merchants that happen to be at GAN.

Checking again, the way you did and it's been from 3.5% - 5.5% for the year. And just to be sure, you're looking under Total Conv. % and not Action Conv. % or Trans. Conv. % ?

Just ran that report and it shows my conversions to be rock steady the entire time.. A little higher in Nov/Dec and a tad lower in a couple months..

Much larger number of clicks..
    Stop blaming the parasites, low return days, cookie stuffers, networks, lousy AMs, and TOOLBARS!

Checking again, the way you did and it's been from 3.5% - 5.5% for the year. And just to be sure, you're looking under Total Conv. % and not Action Conv. % or Trans. Conv. % ?
    Yep Total Conv. % Looking at the 12 months do you see a trend one way or the other. I see the range you have but what about an up or down trend over the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    Just ran that report and it shows my conversions to be rock steady the entire time.. A little higher in Nov/Dec and a tad lower in a couple months..
    That's encouraging. Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    Less than 100 clicks per merchant is almost meaningless. You can't judge a merchant with such a low number of clicks. You certainly can't judge a network based on such a small amount of visitors

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Yep Total Conv. % Looking at the 12 months do you see a trend one way or the other. I see the range you have but what about an up or down trend over the year?
    Normal. One month it'll be X. Next month it'll be more or less. It's not trending up or down. And the reality is you can ask this question on any month of the year for any network and you'll always have:

Somebody out there doing about the same.
    Somebody doing better.
    Somebody doing worse.

You can pick a month where you're doing great or trending up in a network and do this little experiment. On a month like that, when you're doing good, start a thread saying the opposite, that you're doing bad and ask if anybody else is. Of course there will be, that's normal.

Somebody out there doing about the same.
    Somebody doing better.
    Somebody doing worse.

I think if you find some good merchants that work for you, send them some traffic, you'll be fine.

ABW Ambassador
    GAN may have issues, but there are some really good merchants in the network

15 years and counting
    John Powell - I go to Reports/Performance then set Timeframe to "Past 365 Days" with Group Data By: "Month". I leave it on "All Advertisers", "Overview Data", "Confirmed Only".

You now see monthly conversions (Total Conv. %) and the Grand Total for year to date is at the bottom.
    I've never been so adventurous . Thanks. Nice report. It's taking a while to compute.
    I can't spot a trend. Every month I've a conversion between 4 and 6%. November 08 was the minimum. I guess Dec is low because the tracking needs time to adjust. My conversion last year in December was 4.88% for around 20,000 clicks. So, I've more traffic this year with a lower conversion. I'll check again in January.

Not sure this would help ya any comparing but just went in there and took the same info for me that you did and put it below for ya.

2.44% January 2008
    1.75%
    5.88% March
    2.6%
    0% May
    0%
    1.08% July
    2.38%
    3% Sept
    3.13%
    5.22% Nov
    0.00% December 2008
    2.72% Average Conversion for Year to date

The advertisers kinda range anywhere from a couple of months waaaay below 100 and a few above so pretty much averages to just a teeeeeeny bit over 100 a month.

I'm guessing the "visits" are the clicks per month?? It's waaaay lower than yours with an average of just 70 but that's kinda deceiving cos 5 months are well below 50 with the others bein much higher.

Confused bout "actions" What are they considered to be?? I only have 1 month with 1.?? but all but 3 months have some sorta transactions.

Obviously I don't do too well lol but thought maybe it might help ya in comparing something.

Normal. One month it'll be X. Next month it'll be more or less. It's not trending up or down.
    That's what I'm looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I can't spot a trend.
    That helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Less than 100 clicks per merchant is almost meaningless. You can't judge a merchant with such a low number of clicks. You certainly can't judge a network based on such a small amount of visitors
    For sure and that's why I posted. To see if people with plenty of traffic where seeing the trend. I don't want to judge merchants here, but the overall picture. Do you see any trend?

15 years and counting
    Purplebear - Confused bout "actions" What are they considered to be?? I only have 1 month with 1.?? but all but 3 months have some sorta transactions.
    Actions are for people requesting catalogs, you're paid for that with some merchants, it's mostly for leads.
    Trans. Transactions are for sales

Thank you Zeus Yeap, I do remember now, there are a couple of the women's clothing that do have catalogs. Remember seein that.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplebear
    but thought maybe it might help ya in comparing something.
    It does help. I don't seen any disturbing trend in your numbers, so I'm guessing that there is nothing to worry about. If there would be a problem it must lie on my end and like others have said the samples are not high enough to be sure of anything.

Zeus said: "I guess Dec is low because the tracking needs time to adjust."

Yeap, agree with that cos mine's showing 0 but I know I did have somethin in December of this year.

Johnny - like the others have said, I'm not much to compare with cos I don't have much traffic with em, but if it helps ya any ...... I do better with them than CJ or LS. Cept for a very few merchants on those networks......I do reaaaaaally bad. (Obviously nobody would think I'm doin too well here lol but least I think I do better overall here than I do with the other 2) And...don't think it really has to be said either but obviously I do much better with the other good guy networks and some individual ones I have.

After the holidays I'm really gonna try to sit down and go thru CJ and LS and think bout removing quite a few merchants just don't know how practical that is considering I'm a coupon or coupon hybrid type site. I can't control who people wanna buy from...that's my only problem with gettin rid of the merchants from the other 2 networks

Glad it helped Don't think the problem's on your end....other than the two of us are fairly the same. lol We just have to try to figure out a way to get in the brains of them other guys and figure out what they're doin. lol Then.....they better watch out for us. lol

ABW Ambassador
    Does anyone know how accurate the network rank is?

I got my first sale of the year this month with GAN (I have been away from those merchants for years) and I suddenly went from no rank to 3 out of 4 bars for the network rank.

Is it really possible to jump to 3 bars with just 2 sales?

I think the network rank bar graphic thingy has low expectations. I've been 4 bars for years and usually don't make much per month with that network.

"Is it really possible to jump to 3 bars with just 2 sales?"
    yeap lol agree with simcat on that. I jump around quite a bit with it. I'll go from a zero bars, get a couple sales and up I go to a 3. lol then down I'll go again.

In my defense lol I actually think for the amount of people I send the merchants, it's not too shabby for how many turn out as buyers. Most of my sales for my sites come from natural seo, so the people visiting the merchants have a pretty good idea of what they want when they're coming from my sites. Definitely am not braggin in any way. lol I've just tried reaaaaallly, reaaalllly hard to do well with seo stuff cos I know there's no way I can ever compete with the big guys and uhh especially since I don't do any of the cookie stuffing or anything. Definitely try to make what clicks I have count. lol Now, if I only I could figure out a way to get more of em.

Oh, pssst Julian the whole bar stuff works the same with CJ, too with me. I can be right up top there....then back down I'll go. lol

Year End Results
    GAN 01/01/2008 - 06/30/2008 | 594 visits | 4.04% Total Conv
    GAN 07/01/2008 - 12/31/2008 | 692 visits | .87% Total Conv

Now I realize that we don't have a lot of clicks, and they are spread over 200 different GAN merchants. This is for a coupon site. I'm with 4 other networks and don't see the same trend with them.

This downtrend started exactly when Google took over around July 2008. It could be a coincidence, but I would like to verify that something didn't change that works crazy with my setup. I'll wait till Monday and call GAN and see if they can give it a look.

The problem with LinkShare links and the "&" has me paranoid.

15 years and counting
    I can just make a few suggestions:
    Check if your merchants are still active, if they are seasonal.
    Check how many clicks are getting each merchant. Do you see a change between the two periods?
    Check your merchant landing page, check your competition.
    Is your competition increasing?
    Have you seen a shift for your search terms?
    Is the offer always the same? You need to rotate them, visitors don't see them after a while. You have to renew them.
    A conversion of less than 1% means there's a problem somewhere.
    I noticed many GAN merchants are on OneCause but it will not explain such a drop.

ABW Ambassador
    John, again no offence, but 692 clicks spread between 200 merchants (little over 3 clicks a merchant) and those are just not enough visits to see any kind of trend. I ended up with an over 5% converstion for December. Tracking fine.

15 years and counting
    I don't see any tracking problem with my stats either. Steady conversion.
    With few clicks, a slight shift somewhere and your conversion is complety off. I'm sure you're making 80% of your sales with a few merchants. Focus on them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast