Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Is This Allstate or Is This The Norm?
    I recently switched from Allstate to Geico for our auto insurance. We had a claim back in 2006 on my wife's car. She was driving down the road behind a construction type truck and two cinder blocks fell off. One of them hit the grill/radiator and the other hit the front wheel. She was shaken up and wasn't able to find out who the truck was owned by. We filed a claim and got the car repaired.

After switching to Geico, I had to list prior claims and looked at how Allstate classified the claim. Geico stated that the claim was classified as "AT-FAULT" by Allstate. I called Allstate up and they say my wife was "AT-FAULT" because she didn't have enough control of her vehicle in order to avoid the cinder blocks.

I really don't feel my wife is "AT-FAULT" in this situation given the circumstances, but maybe that's how the insurance companies work? If not, I guess I need to go up higher on the ladder at Allstate to get this re-classified. This is my wife's first claim in 21 years.

Anyone from an insurance company have an opinion on this?

My husband used to do this for a living with Geico.
    Let me ask him to read this post and I will get back to you.
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

My wife had a similar thing happen when she swerved to miss a deer and hit a utility pole. She was cited by the cops for failing to stay on the road, and the insurance company said she was at fault. Oddly, had she hit the deer, then it wouldn't have been her fault.

She didn't figure out who the deer's owner was either.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontaine

Ok, I spoke with Mike:
    If the cinder block came directly off of the truck and hit your wife's car, then it is the truck's fault and NOT hers.
    HOWEVER...
    If the cinder block came off the truck, hit the road, then hit your wife or your wife hit it, then it is HER fault since it would be considered a road hazard.
    She can ask for a reconsideration of the case to determine fault.
    If the block hit the road first, then of course she did everything in her power to avoid it without causing any other accident.
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread