Post How to be a dropshipper?
    I just graduate from college. I want to start my business as a dropshipper from other website or Ebay. But I do not know it is safe to protect my customerís privacy and my privacy. And it is convenient for me to place order? I need to get some recommendation. Thanks.

Thread moved to more appropriate forum...

X

Being a dropshipper means that customers buy from YOU, and they would be unaware of your relationship to your own supplier.

As such, your website would need to be as secure as a proper ecommerce site - this includes privacy policy, security certificate (SSL), and the ability to accept payments online.

Using eBay, you would just list your products as any normal seller (then place your order with your supplier). But competition is fierce, and margins very small. I experimented with dropshipping a couple of years ago, and didn't find the pricing very favorable on the supplier side. My view its that it's a volume game...

Affiliate Manager
    As a merchant who does a lot of dropshipping, I'll agree with what teezone said. I have an ecommerce site where I sell products. A while back I looked into extending into eBay as well, but the competition is ridiculous. People were selling stuff so cheap, there was no way to make any profit. It has to be a volume game.

But if you stick with it and build relationships with your suppliers, and you have enough volume, you'll do better. Joining a trade organization can also help, as they can often negotiate deals with suppliers based on the larger group. And, if you can make arrangements with manufacturers directly, you'll have better margins than going through middlemen.

As far as convenience, it works pretty well. Customers place the orders on my website, and I place the orders with my suppliers who then ship out the product.

Dropshipping is nice, I did it for a bit. Just if you do decide to do the ebay thing w/dropshipping make sure that you have all of your relations with a notable dropshipping company on paper ready to fax or scan to paypal, as they will 99% request it. and you won't get paid until it is to them, my experience at least, but that was NO problemo.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

I never ever consided Dropshipping and maybe never will but just wondering where do you find suppliers that send the goods to your Customers??

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    I never ever consided Dropshipping and maybe never will but just wondering where do you find suppliers that send the goods to your Customers??
    Google will give you a few billion results
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Worldwide Brands IMO is absolutely the best. They are not one of these dropshipping kingdoms, but a database of quality wholesalers and distributors. Their database application lets you search specific products that result in a list of distributors supplying those products. Additional features give guidance on price setting and popularity. The trick to dropshipping is as other affiliate marketing techniques, niche products. You must find products that you can compete with based on pricing.

X

Banned
    Dropshipping is pretty competitive, especialy on ebay. Like someone else said, there are a lot people selling items at super low prices. It really is a volume game.

If you have a site, then you will have to take the extra step as far as security goes so as to protect your customer's privacy. Now I am not trying to discourage you or insinuate that this is a faild business model. You can make money with this if you are willing to put the time into it to it to get good at it. First, make sure you know all the pros and cons that come with this business model and then, after knowing them, still have the drive to go for it. It is this enthusiasm that will help you get over any rough spots you may encouter and continue working towards your goal: profit.

This thread got me thinking...

Before I knew about the AM model, I had experimented with dropship datafeeds, but the supplier I tested had pretty bad pricing.

Fast forward 3 years, I have a SSL cert on my domain (unused for the most part), a shopping cart app and a content site that has really taken off (ie. terrific natural SERP). Maybe it's time to see which products I could offer myself. Even if it's just an item here & there, at least I know the conversion will stay "in house"

In addition to all that has been said above, about it being a volumes game etc., you should also do whatever you can to offer stellar customer support.

This of course holds true for any kind of business, as that coveted "lifetime customer value" is what we are all after. As you indicate in your question, you are serious about building trust with your customers right from the start.

From what I have gathered, I also think that Worldwide Brands is one of the most reliable sources of finding appropriate wholesalers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    Worldwide Brands IMO is absolutely the best. They are not one of these dropshipping kingdoms, but a database of quality wholesalers and distributors. Their database application lets you search specific products that result in a list of distributors supplying those products. Additional features give guidance on price setting and popularity. The trick to dropshipping is as other affiliate marketing techniques, niche products. You must find products that you can compete with based on pricing.
    THanks Ed for the information.

Talking
    I am not a big fan of dropshipping, because to make any money you need to do volume, you have forgone buying direct from the manufacturer and your price is often times more than you can buy the thing at Walmart, since Walmart hammers the maunfacturers on price.

Here's an example: I was looking for a GOOD cast iron skillet. The Lodge brand kept popping up as the 'quality' brand. So, I searched the net and the price on Amazonia was $25 for the one I wanted. Went to look at droppshipping prices ... no big discount ...my cost $20. Went to Walmart, since I could not find them anywhere. And what to my wandering eye see.

Lodge cast iron skillet, the exact one I wanted ... cost $13.98. I bought ALL that they had out - 3. Put two of them up on my EBAY store for $19 each,
    plus shipping ... gone in a heartbeat ... made $10 profit.

Hint. you can get better prices for stuff at Walmart than dropshippers. If you use the FREE priority mail boxes and priority mail. You can make a profit on just about anything you can send priority mail. The first pound only cost $4.80 and if you add the confirmed delivery it's just $.65 cents more. The first pound goes for $5.45 - additional pounds are less. Get a chart of the cost from the post office. People get the stuff in 2 or 3 days. Add the EBAY fees to the shipping as handling. Or sell it on your own site.

Sure people can go to Walmart to get the stuff, but sometimes their Walmart does not have it, or they live where there is no Walmarts or they are boycotting Walmart for social reasons, or they don't want the hassle of driving there and dealing with the crowd. One thing for sure. If Walmart is using something as a 'Loss Leader' you can bet they got it at a price from the manufacturer at a price below what most people cannot get.

If you can make $5 to $10 per item NET with an occasional higher profit item,
    and you can sell 5, 10, 20 items per day, you can make a nice chunk of change for very little effort. The hard part is putting the stuff in a box and taking it to the post office once a day or if you are real lazy give it to your postman. You take orders 24/7 ... you fill them working one hour per day.
    Saturday you go shopping for stuff to sell. Sunday you put them up on your
    site. Another good place to find stuff is the local $1 store ... most of the stuff they have is liquidated or discontinued items. If you find a deal buy some, see if they sell, then go back and buy more.

In todays world making anykind of profit is a big plus. One of the best affiliate marking business models of all time, is setting up EBAY auctions for business folks who want to sell stuff. You would be surprised at how many 100 unit orders you can get off of EBAY ... Depending on what it is, you get the business who you are doing this for to pay you $1, $5 or so per unit.

I have a huge number of ways to skin the cat ... anyone want to buy catskins?

wotermo signed up, came back a couple days later with a question, then left and never came back. Why am I not surprised that someone else came and answered the question a few days later? And no doubt dropped lots of nice links.

I hesitate to answer questions from newbies these days since they so rarely come back to look at the answers.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

But is was a good question !!

Exactly. Sometimes the spammers spawn some good discussion. When all is said and done, the spammers are banned, spam removed, and we use them to our hearts content.

X

Quote Originally Posted by missdonna
    wotermo signed up, came back a couple days later with a question, then left and never came back. Why am I not surprised that someone else came and answered the question a few days later? And no doubt dropped lots of nice links.

I hesitate to answer questions from newbies these days since they so rarely come back to look at the answers.
    I do too. But forget about the newbie coming back for the answer. Many times the answers are really for ABW.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    Thanks for the plug Boomers. On the Worldwide Brands website there is a ton of free information about drop shipping.

Net4Biz - You are correct. Here at Worldwide Brands we always say that dropshipping really should be used as a starting point. Obviously, the larger quantities that you purchase from the wholesaler, the better prices you will get. Drop shipping should be used to test a product in your store - see how well it sells, drop the products that aren't selling well, and for the products that are selling begin to look at purchasing in light bulk (pallet lots of $500 or less). Doing this, you will get better pricing.

Remember, with dropshipping you are requiring that the supplier do all the work that normally the retailer would do. You are asking them to hold the inventory= more warehouse space needed, break open pallet loads, individually package an item, label it, and then mail it out to your customer. All of this takes man-power. The supplier then has to pay the salary for more people, pay more for health insurance, and so on; hence dropshipping generally is more expensive than if you are purchasing in large bulk because they are doing all the work and saving you time.

Note to all considering Dropshipping - if the company doesn't ask you for your tax id you are not working directly with the wholesale supplier. You are working with a company/person who is purchasing directly from the supplier, and marking up the wholesale price or offering you a service that goes along with working through them. This can be the reason some prices from "wholesalers" don't turn out to be profitable.

Chris Malta, CEO of Worldwide Brands has posted quite a few short YouTube Wholesale Tips Videos: Youtube dot com / WorldwideBrands.

I hope this helps!

Colleen Darwent
    Affiliate Manager
    WorldwideBrands.com

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread