page 2+ dynamic title for datafeed
    I have a few merchants where I use the Datafeed manager to populate my webpages. The titles are all dynamically created which is great. The problem I have is that when there is more than 1 page, and the feed continues to page 2, the title is identical causing a problem in Google WT. It says 'duplicate meta descriptions' error.

I would like to change the <title>[PAGE_TITLE]</title> to reflect the pagination to something like.... <title>[PAGE_TITLE] : page [PAGE_NUMBER]</title>

Not sure what the actual variable defn is that you used for page defn.

How do I do that?

It says 'duplicate meta descriptions'
    Have you looked at the page source code to see what is showing for the titles and descriptions? Just asking because what I've seen is dynamically changed tags, but I haven't been able to find any that continue on two or three pages with a quick look and don't know if I need to keep looking. Do they show the same titles?

Yep, same titles for all the subsequent pages.

The way it is set up the meta tag description and meta keywords are also same as the title tags. So, not only will title tags be the same, the description and keywords also are the same. I actually therefore also have flags for the meta description tags.

Quickest way to get help is to email support at avantlink com. I'll need to keep checking for any feeds that are creating additional pages, looks like most of my categories fit in one page. Thanks

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    ladidah, I have forwarded this thread URL on to our tech team to see if I can get you the answer/info you need.

Gary M

Thanks Gary. We actually had the same problem in Popshops but were able to fix the problem in the php file. There was a thread somewhere. So I would imagine a similar soltn in the template.html here. Only wish I knew php.

Hi ladidah,
    Would appreciate if you can post the solution. I'm trying to resolve same issue on my site.
    Regards.

topten, no one ever got back to me about this so I did a "no index, no follow" for these Avantlink pages instead. That resolved the WMT error flags, but as result, the pages are not indexed, which is fine by me since there must be zillions of the same ones out there. HTH.

ow, sorry to know that. Guess the pages after first page are not getting any love from search engines. But if customers can get on Page 1, they will find their way to other pages. But I really wish if someone could help resolve this sort of duplication.
    Thanks for the update ladidah.
    Regards.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Thumbs up Web Service Datafeed Client Improvements
    Hey guys, have a look at the following article that highlights some improvements to the Web Service Datafeed Client.

Web Service Datafeed Client Improvements

ladidah, hopefully this takes care of the issue you were having with the 'duplicate meta descriptions' error you described.

List item #2...
    Better construction of page keywords (normally used in meta tags) to more uniquely identify pages throughout the site. As a basic example, pagination results (”Page X of Y”) are included in the keywords to properly differentiate large category listings or product search results.
    Let us know how you make out

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread