Dumping SiteAdvisor For Now
    When I opened Firefox today there was an update for McAfee SiteAdvisor. I was liking it even though some of my sites have been forever marked with an unknown status.

Today the new version defaults with a big search box in the status bar, and they are trying to drive users to their safe shopping comparison site. I disabled the search box easy enough, but the utility still kept popping prompts from my firewall asking for internet access.

The whole thing reached a point of aggravation so I'll try to do with out it for now.

Banned
    If you want to try something different, have a look at TrendProtect. Here is an article comparing SiteAdvisor to TrendProtect. This article claims that TrendProtect has a more real-time rating system than SiteAdvisor. Although, McAfee seems to have quite the name going for itself in internet security.

"If you want to try something different, have a look at TrendProtect"
    I just tried it in IE since their Firefox version isn't out yet. Junk in my book. A couple of my sites show "Safe" if you mouse over the green toolbar icon, but when you look at the search results they are marked "Suspicious".

Thanks Trend for calling my sites "Suspicious". Clicking Help returns a 404 page not found. SiteAdvisor is better for sure. Now to uninstall it.

I picked up ESET from recommendations here... LOVE it..

And I was a huge supporter of TrendMicro for many years (installed it for friends & family too), but the app just got too cumbersome, and I had to create too many exceptions.

Give ESET a try, it's worked well for me for the last 2 months! Wouldn't have known had it not been for ABW..

John, the same thing happened to me yesterday. There was no option to eliminate that big search bar so I uninstalled it. But then I went to McAfee's site and left them feedback and kept looking around until I found the place to download the SiteAdvisor from there. During the install it let me opt out of the searchbox and everything is good again. It is version: saSetup64.exe available at http://us.mcafee.com/root/catalog.asp?catid=free
    Last edited by 2busy; December 24th, 2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added version and URI

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    "If you want to try something different, have a look at TrendProtect"
    I just tried it in IE since their Firefox version isn't out yet. Junk in my book. A couple of my sites show "Safe" if you mouse over the green toolbar icon, but when you look at the search results they are marked "Suspicious".

Thanks Trend for calling my sites "Suspicious". Clicking Help returns a 404 page not found. SiteAdvisor is better for sure. Now to uninstall it.
    I am sorry that my recommendation did not work out. It looks like 2busy found a solution for you though.

Ugh, don't get me started on SiteAdvisor. They labeled a couple very old files on my site as malicious when in fact they were not. Since the files were old I figured I wouldn't fight it and just deleted them. So here I am 8 months later and they still haven't rechecked the files and my site is still yellow. I've sent numerous complaints and even contacted them via phone, but nothing has changed despite them giving me their word it would be corrected. They are absolutely horrible when it comes to checking websites. Now if they only check my site once a year I wonder how many sites they're not checking that have real threats.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

"They labeled a couple very old files on my site as malicious when in fact they were not."
    I signed up so that I could submit my new sites for checking. That was a waste of time. McAfee may be a great company but my experience with their products has been bad.

"During the install it let me opt out of the searchbox and everything is good again."
    The updated extension had a way to turn off the search box, but my Zone Alarm firewall kept giving access requests. It just seemed like it was getting too big opening it's own comparison shopping site. Lately I don't trust software that wants a piece of the shopping pie.

Post features like smiles and [quote] don't seem to be working for me today.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread