Thread: Introducing the 1-800- PetMeds Affiliate Program!

Introducing the 1-800- PetMeds Affiliate Program!
    We hope you’ll sign up with buy.at to partner with us in promoting this outstanding brand name!

Did you know?

1-800-PetMeds® is America's largest pet pharmacy? They deliver ion and non-ion pet medications along with health and nutritional supplements for dogs and cats at substantial savings direct to the consumer.

Your audience will be able to save up to $20 on each purchase of $300 AND get Free shipping on each purchase over $39.00!!! They can also access their Specials section of the website for discounted medicine, toys, food, and accessories!

What a great commission!

$15 flat paid on all orders totaling $39 or more (the threshold required to receive free shipping on an order.)

Important Note*** due to legislation, ion medications are not commissionable.

Creative, Cookies & PPC Policy

We provide a variety of creatives available for your site including email, text, and banners and can accommodate size and creative requests. A robust product feed is available that includes every product in the online catalog!

Cookie Length = 45 Days

Bidding on the term 1-800-PetMeds, misspellings of those terms or any variation thereof is strictly forbidden. This program does not allow the use of direct to merchant pay per click (DTM PPC) promotion.

What’s next? Sign up for 1-800 Pet Meds at www.buyat.com today!
    Feel free to contact us with any questions:

Gabe Goldstein
    Account Manager
    Gabe.Goldstein@platform-a.com

&

Amy Preis
    Affiliate Development
    Amy.Preis@platform-a.com
    Amy Preis
    Affiliate Development Team, buy.at
    Amy.Preis@corp.aol.com
    www.buy.at

Is this the same 1-800-PetMeds, that has been ripping off affiliates on Linkshare for a long time? If so. How do we know they have reformed?

Having been a 1-800-PetMeds affiliate over at Linksuck and sent them a ton of clicks with zippo sales, why should I believe you now?

There take will always be it was 'bad' traffic ... but since when is PPCSE from the big three considered bad ... they just poached any sales and since they were up to their eyeballs in parasites ... well, you know the drill - blame the messenger.

Now, they get to move to a new network. They have ripped off the affiliates so bad at Linksuck, that it's not worth the fee they pay to get the free traffic - because everyone stopped sending them FREE traffic.

Donuts and crew says you guys are a good network. Yet I see you taking on the same 'crooked' merchants that have been inhabiting other networks for close to a decade. It's not a comforting feeling, so I haven't joined.

ABW Ambassador
    1 800 petmeds do have a terrible reputation

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    net4biz,

Thank you for taking time to respond here. Your concerns are very legitimate and are at the forefront of everyone's minds here at buy.at.

I am personally excited to be working with 1800PetMeds. I see this as an opportunity to educate a merchant and to show them that they can run a clean, profitable program on the buy.at network. Will this education process be an easy one? Probably not. Other networks place the onus on the merchant to discern who to partner with and when merchants trust a network to look out for their best interests, there can sometimes be a "disconnect."

1800PetMeds is committed to making their program work, we just need to show how some of their "partners" aren't looking to enhance their bottom line. The best way to do this, as I see it, is to join up on buy.at and show them that they can be both profitable and clean. (And no, that isn't just a buy.at pitch!)

They've taken the first step - they've launched on a network that doesn't take kindly to rogue affiliate behaviors such as adware use, cookie stuffing and prohibited brand bidding. Let's show them together that the monetary reward to their bottom line for doing so will happen. I believe that once we put the dollars where our educational efforts have been, we can turn this around to be a program where everyone wins - merchant and affiliate partners.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Quote Originally Posted by KimSalvino
    I see this as an opportunity to educate a merchant
    I tried to contact them on the OneCause issue and left messages on 12/10 with their Director of Marketing and Head of Affiliate Marketing. No call back. Maybe they would care to discuss the issue in another thread here at ABW.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Kim, I gave them a try several years ago but gave up on them quickly. At the time I was told that they don't pay commissions on ion meds because the state of Florida doesn't allow it. Is this still true?

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I tried to contact them on the OneCause issue and left messages on 12/10 with their Director of Marketing and Head of Affiliate Marketing. No call back. Maybe they would care to discuss the issue in another thread here at ABW.
    Let me look into this for you. I'll be in touch to follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Kim, I gave them a try several years ago but gave up on them quickly. At the time I was told that they don't pay commissions on ion meds because the state of Florida doesn't allow it. Is this still true?
    Rhea,

Yes, we were informed that due to legislation, they can not pay commission on ions. I don't know for a fact it is because of Florida, but will check into it and get back with you.

ABW Ambassador
    I used to do very well 1800 Petmeds a few years ago. I am glad they are on the buy.at platform now.

I Just joined the program. I know that they have had issues in the past, but hopefully things will be very different now.

I left a message for our contact and sent an email as well. I believe they are unavailable due to the holiday, but please expect to hear back from me on these points as soon as I receive a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    I used to do very well 1800 Petmeds a few years ago. I am glad they are on the buy.at platform now.

I Just joined the program. I know that they have had issues in the past, but hopefully things will be very different now.
    Thank you, Julian. We look forward to working with you. Please feel free to pass on any feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Donuts and crew says you guys are a good network. Yet I see you taking on the same 'crooked' merchants that have been inhabiting other networks for close to a decade. It's not a comforting feeling, so I haven't joined.
    When there is a network (or other entity) doing things right, educating merchants, mutually advancing our ethical causes, respecting our work and it's income, it's out of line to punish them by not participating in activities with them because some of their merchants haven't come around yet.

So, for the record (you used my name here), I've always advocated working with the ethical and shunning the unethical. If you do work for a merchant that doesn't get it, it's certainly always better to do that on the side of the fence that does it right. Even if you work with a merchant that doesn't care to ever get it, it's still better to work with the ethcial side of the fence when there's dual tracking platforms. Sure beats making money for some scumbag network that not only allows the crapola, but rewards it and is involved in it themselves!

So let your money do the talking! Work with folks like Buy.At.

Spreading ethics is like spreading spaghetti noodles... talking is like pushing ethics out to others with a fork, it's inefficient and slow and awkward and clumsy, but still worth the effort... but making money with ethical people is like pulling the noodles toward your side of the plate, pulling just works much better. And sometimes, it also drags in some meatballs and sauce.

No doubt some Buy.At merchants aren't were they should be on ethics, this is also true regarding the other ethical networks like ShareASale and AvantLink. If you don't want to work with them, I concur with that. But painting the entire network as unworthy isn't fair or productive towards advancing our ethical causes. In fact, it's does the opposite.

Everyone's entitled to draw their own ethical lines and make their own decisions on merit, but I wanted to say that I am a proud member of Buy.At.

And I strongly recommend them as a network.

Kim ...

Have they closed their Linkshare program? Or are they running multiple programs? Also, other pedt med companies pay on some perscriptions.

But if they are selling Pet Meds ... then why would anyone promote them if they are not going to get paid on pet ions?

Now I would have NO problem with them not paying commissions on ions if they paid affiliates by CPM or CPC ... then the onus is on them - not me.

If they paid $5 CPM, I'd stick a Pet Med banner up on just about every page I have ... but then they would complain about the traffic not be targetted.

On the other hand they pay probably 10 times the $5 CPM for the TV spots I see on local cable and network TV here in Vegas.

I hate to be a 'grinch' but after 10 years in this business ... it's an occupational hazard.

Seems to me, they are not very good at doing PPC and need affiliates to pay for the same clicks they would have to pay for, if they didn't have an affiliate program ... this way they get free traffic, unless someone actually buys something from them.

Also, they used to have that 1-800 number all over their site ... and come to find out, affiliates DID not get paid when someone called it because they saw when they clicked on an affiliate link.

BTW ... I can buy the same stuff they are selling cheaper on EBAY or Amazon.
    Of course, I don't get paid as much if I refer people to those places, but at least I do get paid and very few of the sales get poached.

It's a hard job you have Kim ... I'm glad you are passionate about it.

I have been saying for along time, affiliate networks don't need a zillion merchants, just a few good ones, who sell quality products at fair prices and pay fair commissions and who think of their affiliates as a real PROFIT center, not just someone to rip off because they can get away with it.

Have a happy new year.

@Donuts We strongly agree here. I welcome any opportunity to educate a merchant about adware, toolbars and anything else destroying their ROI and that of their true affiliate partners.

1800PetMeds took the first step - they opened on a network dedicated to keeping the bad players out. The next step will be showing them exactly how those on other networks are "partnering" with them and that, unfortunately comes in time.

@net4biz I appreciate your history and thank you again for sharing your concerns. This is all vital information that the merchant will need to address. As it is the holidays, they are not available at the moment, but as soon as I hear back from them, I will address the questions at hand.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post here today. It is important that the merchant be shown there is interest in promoting their product, and that the things that may prevent honest affiliates from doing so are definitely fixable.

HI! So 1800petMEDS doesn't pay on rx? what then would someone who went to their site buy if not a script? That seems horrible. Then only reason I would have to go to the site would be to same me some money on ped meds. This is a catch 22 situation isn't it?
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Kim, I think the question being asked is what percentage of their sales are non ion?

Since they are a public company I assume this can be stated.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

bingo! you hit it right on. 1800petmeds.....what else is sold that is popular and people know about that I will get a commission on besides dog meds.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

This program is like a bait and switch; send your traffic to sell their goods that you “by law” aren’t allowed to be paid upon.

Duh, I don’t think so; you can’t put lipstick on this pig.

Seriously look at the site there’s no focus on commissionable products

The tags
    <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Discount Prices on Pet Supplies, Frontline Plus, Advantage, Heartgard Plus, Sentinel, Interceptor, Frontline Topspot, Rimadyl, K9 Advantix and many more medications
    <META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="1800petmeds,pet medication,pet medicine,pet medications,pet health,pet pharmacy,pet ion,pet ions,pet vaccines,pet vaccine,veterinary supplies,pet med,petmedex,petmedexpress,heartgard,petmed express,pet meds,petmeds,petmed pharmacy,1800petmeds.com,pet medications,pet supplies,pet supply,heartworm,advantage,frontline,topspot,rimadyl,etogesic,cosequin

They sell 2 dog beds, 1 dog bowl etc.

the supplies that you can make money on is so limited no one would shop for those items.

Dan

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan367
    This program is like a bait and switch; send your traffic to sell their goods that you “by law” aren’t allowed to be paid upon.

Duh, I don’t think so; you can’t put lipstick on this pig.

Seriously look at the site there’s no focus on commissionable products

The tags

<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Discount Prices on Pet Supplies, Frontline Plus, Advantage, Heartgard Plus, Sentinel, Interceptor, Frontline Topspot, Rimadyl, K9 Advantix and many more medications

<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="1800petmeds,pet medication,pet medicine,pet medications,pet health,pet pharmacy,pet ion,pet ions,pet vaccines,pet vaccine,veterinary supplies,pet med,petmedex,petmedexpress,heartgard,petmed express,pet meds,petmeds,petmed pharmacy,1800petmeds.com,pet medications,pet supplies,pet supply,heartworm,advantage,frontline,topspot,rimadyl,etogesic,cosequin

They sell 2 dog beds, 1 dog bowl etc.

the supplies that you can make money on is so limited no one would shop for those items.

Dan
    Those are meta tags for their site, that's what they sell. So of course that stuff is going to be there. Some of that stuff you have in red, you get paid commissions on. There is a link you can click that lists those items. You get paid on Frontline, K9 Advantix, Advantage etc. Not sure which stuff is ion/you don't get paid on. This was asked before and the AM said:

"Unforunately, due to Florida legislation, we are not allowed to pay commission on ion items."

"Yes, about 90% of our revenue is derived from non-ion orders. About Prescription Meds - There is a Florida law that prohibits the payment commission, bonus, kickback, or rebate either directly or indirectly, for patients referred to a pharmacy."

Not sure if that's just Florida or other states as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    This was asked before and the AM said:

"Yes, about 90% of our revenue is derived from non-ion orders.
    I don't see that 90% mentioned in this thread perhaps someplace else.

In any event, that's extremely difficult to believe that out of 200M in sales only 20M is RX. When their focus is as their name says "pet meds"

I think I saw they sell about 750 pet med products there are very few other pet products on their site just click on pet supplies they aren't there.

Compare the product mix to Petco, Petsmart or Fosters Smith.

I would take a guess that it's the other way around 90% RX.

Kim can you state how many pet supply items are offered?

They state that 35 Percent of their sales are telephone orders according to their 10K.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    When there is a network (or other entity) doing things right, educating merchants, mutually advancing our ethical causes, respecting our work and it's income, it's out of line to punish them by not participating in activities with them because some of their merchants haven't come around yet.

So, for the record (you used my name here), I've always advocated working with the ethical and shunning the unethical. If you do work for a merchant that doesn't get it, it's certainly always better to do that on the side of the fence that does it right. Even if you work with a merchant that doesn't care to ever get it, it's still better to work with the ethcial side of the fence when there's dual tracking platforms. Sure beats making money for some scumbag network that not only allows the crapola, but rewards it and is involved in it themselves!

So let your money do the talking! Work with folks like Buy.At.

Spreading ethics is like spreading spaghetti noodles... talking is like pushing ethics out to others with a fork, it's inefficient and slow and awkward and clumsy, but still worth the effort... but making money with ethical people is like pulling the noodles toward your side of the plate, pulling just works much better. And sometimes, it also drags in some meatballs and sauce.

No doubt some Buy.At merchants aren't were they should be on ethics, this is also true regarding the other ethical networks like ShareASale and AvantLink. If you don't want to work with them, I concur with that. But painting the entire network as unworthy isn't fair or productive towards advancing our ethical causes. In fact, it's does the opposite.

Everyone's entitled to draw their own ethical lines and make their own decisions on merit, but I wanted to say that I am a proud member of Buy.At.

And I strongly recommend them as a network.
    I agree 99 and 44/100%. I have no problem with the try part to make AM ethical and merchants aware. I have no problem with 'bad actors' in a network, provided I can pick and choose the ones I work with. But it seems to me, trying to change a merchants stripes is a losing proposition.

Now, in many cases it's not really the merchant who is at fault, but the people who are employed by the merchant ... everyone pretty much always
    conflates the merchant with the people working there.

Change the people for the better and the merchant will follow along.

I have a problem with every merchant who has ever been on Linksuck. Simply by being on that network, they espouse theft, fraud and unlawful conversion.

For example: The we can't pay juice on ions because Florida says so.
    I live in Nevada, I could care less what Florida says. Florida can stick it where the sun don't shine. It's a copout to make that claim and besides that law is probably unconstitutional on it's face as it violates the inerstate commerce claus of the US Consitution. But hey let's use a state law to rip off our affiliates in every other state. Not my idea of ethical, when they could just as easily say, that due to Florida law, we can not do business in Florida and we will not ship any products to Florida.

How many times do the guys at SAS, Avantlink, buy.at, SAY: "Sorry Charlie you are not good enough for Starkist." I am sure they do it to the little, marginal people whose pockets are shallow, but I doubt anyone of them have ever done it to a publically traded company with deep pockets and a budget to advertise on television.

Our SAS, buy.At and Avantlink better than Linksuck, CJ and Goofle. Sure. And they make AM a better deal than if they did not exist. But they ain't saints as my aunt used to say.

I am considering joining buy.At, for all the reasons you point out. Let's just
    say this is their 'interview' to convince me.'

So far, Kim is performing very well.

Happy New Year.

It's certainly an issue that needs to be addressed. They sell quite a few other things, but the ions are pretty big ticket items, so it's a big gap.

I know I addressed this with a former affiliate manager and they had an alternate commission plan (where instead of a commission they paid a relatively high new customer bounty for any new customer, no matter what they ordered [even ions]). I felt like that was more fair, so that's the offer I selected. I don't think I ever did much with them, though. They just haven't been that appealing to my customers.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I know I addressed this with a former affiliate manager and they had an alternate commission plan (where instead of a commission they paid a relatively high new customer bounty for any new customer, no matter what they ordered [even ions]).

I think that this is the offer that I had as well. A $15 bounty for every new customer, no matter what they purchased. As long as they were a new customer, you get the commission.

Maybe that would work with the new program?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hello all...

Let me first say sorry my response took so long to post...Affiliate Summit snuck up on me and I wasn't able to post this prior to my leaving.

With that said

Both buy.at and 1800petmeds recognize the importance of running a program that is supportive of the affiliate’s needs. With that said, we are currently working with Petmeds to resolve the many affiliate concerns which have been expressed to the network.

More to come on this matter but for the time being we will make sure all concerns are addressed as quickly as possible.

Many thanks,
    c3

http and a telephoto
    Just a reminder that posting about your own program in another program's *paid forum* is very much against the rules.

26. Newsletter Signup