Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Who else got the "re-evaluation" email from dell?
    I just thought it was very unprofessional. the jist of the email is basically asking affiliates to sell more stuff with higher profit margin for dell, which is fine, but there is also a bit about they are going to can you if you don't(worded in a "nicer" way). It makes dell sound desperate, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Personally - I hate DELL!! The customer service is awful!! I won't buy their stuff any longer, and would not sell it. That is just my experience with them. The quality has tanked!!

I agree unprofessional. What's sad is we make 10x as much with Dell SB than Dell Home.

I bought a Dell in 2005 with 4 gigabits of ram.

Within the first year I had it the mother board was replaced by them 1 time, the fan motor 2 times, the hard drive 1 time, the internet access card 2 times, the processor chip 2 times, had to replace two ram cards, and the keyboard 1 time.

The only thing that worked was the monitor.

About two months after it was finally working the hard drive crashed again.

I gave up on Dell and got a HP and haven't had any trouble since then.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Mind posting the email? I don't seem to have received it.

As for Dell themselves, I've had a better experience with Dell than most manufacturers. If I've had anything break, I've had Dell's contract support out next business day or so (depending on if a part had to be shipped, and in that case 2 days max) to fix it. I've never had anything questioned as to warranty or support issues. Anything I've had to get shipped, or ship back for a replacement has arrived extremely fast (overnighting a new monitor for 2 dead pixels is unheard of), and I've never once had to pay for shipping. I won't buy anything but Dell monitors.

As for BurgerBoy, all of those issues going wrong sounds like an issue with a faulty power supply, or something similar. If your computer has multiple issues, especially within certain periods of time (usually it's the same issue within 30 days, but if it's catastrophic failures, you can get them to budge), you can actually get Dell to give you a new machine, free of charge .

I didn't get it either, and I'm meeting with their VP of marketing next month so it be nice to ask him what was up with that email, regardless if they sent it or CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Mind posting the email? I don't seem to have received it.

As for Dell themselves, I've had a better experience with Dell than most manufacturers. If I've had anything break, I've had Dell's contract support out next business day or so (depending on if a part had to be shipped, and in that case 2 days max) to fix it. I've never had anything questioned as to warranty or support issues. Anything I've had to get shipped, or ship back for a replacement has arrived extremely fast (overnighting a new monitor for 2 dead pixels is unheard of), and I've never once had to pay for shipping. I won't buy anything but Dell monitors.

As for BurgerBoy, all of those issues going wrong sounds like an issue with a faulty power supply, or something similar. If your computer has multiple issues, especially within certain periods of time (usually it's the same issue within 30 days, but if it's catastrophic failures, you can get them to budge), you can actually get Dell to give you a new machine, free of charge .
    here is the email in full:

Dear Publisher,

Thank you for your support of the Dell Home and Home Office Affiliate Program. We had great pricing over the holiday season and hope you were able to capitalize on the great sales and discounts.

As the end of the calendar year approaches, Dell is doing some fine tuning to the affiliate program and reaching out to those whose results do not align with overall Dell goals. To balance out the deep discounts from our holiday push, we need increased promotion for our more profitable items.

With the start of the New Year we hope you resolve to focus more heavily on the following:

Upsells for computer purchases

XPS Desktop and Laptop line

Studio Desktop and Laptop line

Inspiron Mini 9 and 12

Televisions

Note that we will closely monitor your performance between January 1 and January 12 will evaluate our affiliate relationship on January 15 to determine whether or not profitability has improved. Should your performance maintain the same margins for Dell, we will be forced to terminate our relationship at that time. We would hate to lose your support and strongly encourage you to utilize the links above.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at DellHomeAffiliates@cj.com.

Best,

Dell Home Affiliate Team

Hmmmm

I've always avoided Dell and I'm glad I don't have to extract myself from a relationship with them now.

They just don't get it, do they?

Why would anyone promote Dell for the 'chump change' commission they say they will pay, but almost always find a way around paying it?

Plus, as an affiliate why should I care about Dell's profitability more than my own? I for one, am not in the charity business and especially not in the business to donate to Dell for any reason. If they want to be more profitable, they can always cut the salary of the top 100 people in their company 50%.

However, I surely would like to be an affiliate of the guy who is selling corporate America STUPID PILLS. Whomever it is must be doing a huge number and I want in. There seems to be NO shortage of people willing to take the pills.

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Plus, as an affiliate why should I care about Dell's profitability more than my own? I for one, am not in the charity business and especially not in the business to donate to Dell for any reason. If they want to be more profitable, they can always cut the salary of the top 100 people in their company 50%.
    I guess you're not able to see Dell's side of things - Why should Dell care about an affiliate's profitability more than their own? Dell has been doing affiliates a favor by paying the same percent commission on all products, no matter the margin, rather than setting a commission rate based on the total sale amount, or category in which the sale was generated.

This sort of thing happens in the CPA world all the time with lead-based or free trial programs - If an affiliate's leads or trials don't convert into sales at the same rate as was originally estimated by the advertiser, the advertiser will either drop the affiliate, cut commission rate, or see how the affiliate can drive better "quality" traffic to the offer.

If you don't want to comply with their simple request, then plain and simply, don't promote their program! I don't see how this is any different from eBay switching from a straight $25/ACRU system to a sliding payment scale based on the profitability of the customers referred to eBay - It's a business decision necessary to maintain the health of their affiliate program.

Ohhh. Dell offers a poor quality line of products and services for their customers. When dell first came out didn't they make their computers from recycled computers????? Or was that just a rumor?
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    Ohhh. Dell offers a poor quality line of products and services for their customers. When dell first came out didn't they make their computers from recycled computers????? Or was that just a rumor?
    That was just a rumor as far as I know, but certainly possible. However they did use a process known as "just in time manufacturing" which in a nutshell meant that they did not stock common components like memory, power supplies. graphics cards and even system boards. This allowed them to purchase commodity items as they were needed in the manufacturing process which helped them to keep their prices lower. They could purchase at the best price TODAY and never needed to warehouse the components which reduced their inventory costs.

The disadvantage was a lack of standardization in most models which created support nightmares and drove corporate customers crazy. They eventually dropped this method because of the lack of acceptance by corporate America.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

[QUOTE=Joshua]I guess you're not able to see Dell's side of things - Why should Dell care about an affiliate's profitability more than their own? Dell has been doing affiliates a favor by paying the same percent commission on all products, no matter the margin, rather than setting a commission rate based on the total sale amount, or category in which the sale was generated.
    QUOTE]

You missed the point. Both Dell and the affiliate NEED to be profitable or neither one stays around for very long. And Dell is not doing anyone any favors ... they are doing exactly what they think they need to do to make money. And I am doing the exact same thing.

Who's right? Who cares. Let me give you a real life RECENT example:

I am a Walmart affiliate and have been for a few years. But they are on Linksuck and Linksuck owes me over $100K from the Meeser years, so I
    didn't do much, except post a Walmart banner to stay active. If it triggered
    a sale great, if not, having the banner on the page says to viewer, I deal in the big leagues.

So I get an email from Walmart saying they want to make me a private offer ... okay, I listen. Not bad ... worth a shot, same as Amazon. So I bite. First day, I get a nice $280 sale at 4%. Okay $11 in the coffers from a cost of $3. Maybe we have a winner. Let's see.

So over the next four days, I spin 100K Walmart banners, generate 8,000 click thrus. And guess what? No sales. Is it bad traffic? Well, for sure it was not coming from Google. So, I cut off the traffic and then go back for a look a week later ... and what do I see, 43 NON-COMMISSIONABLE sales that dumped $2,400 into the Walmart coffers. SAY WHAT? I am out $96.

Now if the traffic I sent cost me ONE CENT per click, ON AVERAGE, I would
    have spent $80 to make $107 ... Works for me, lets keep doing it. But because Walmart is run by guys who don't care if I make a profit or not, guess what ... I ate the $69 loss and put up a 'Buy It For Less Than Walmart'
    page and sent click thrus I would have sent to Walmart to EBAY - which made me a whole bunch more profit than $27. Lucky for me, I did not send them traffic from Google, I'd be big time upside down.

So the losers on this deal were ME to the tune of $69. Walmart because a competitor is getting the traffic they would have gotten, Linksuck since they would benefit by getting 30% of what I would have gotten - and the big losers were the shareholders of Walmart who lost ALL the future revenue I would have generated for them.

If I don't make a profit, I do not promote merchants for very long. There are a zillion other options. Take Dell, they want to lower commissions, but I still get these really nice 4 color catalogs that for sure cost $3 each or more, every month. Hey, if you can't pay me but can afford to pay mega bucks for printed catalogs ... have fun.

By the way, you can make a ton more money, by buying put options on these moron managed big companies who pull these stupid tricks. Here's an example: Yahoo is managed by morons. I bought some stock when it went down in the teens a few years ago. They came out with YPN. I signed up. Put up the links on over 100 niche related pages and sent them filtered USA traffic as best I could ... Cool, in 6 months, I make over $60K. I get a check
    for over $15k and bingo the day after it comes, I get dropped - seems out of the million or so of filtered traffic, a few clicks from Canada showed up.

Okay, as an affiliate I am not a happy camper, but as a shareholder I am beyond livid, since just on my efforts alone I am generating $250K per year
    to the top line. WTF. Are you totally stupid, Jerry? I call, I send an email.
    No response from investor services or anyone else.

So this is NOT good from the shareholder perspective, so I sell my stock in the low 30's, take my profit ... and wait a few weeks to see if they come to their senses. ... Nope. So I bought a BUNCH of $35 per share PUT OPTIONS.
    figuring this stupidity has to show up in the bottom line eventually.

And guess what, sure enough it does ... I'm on vacation in Oregon and I look in the paper and see - Yahoo listed at $24 and change. Well, what do you know. I boogie to the local library, get on line and sell my puts and probably make more than I would have IF the morons at Yahoo were not really morons.

Now, I just look for this type of stupidity ... worst case I lose a little on the options, best case, I rape their shareholders and company.

The moral of the story, is that the internet is a network and everything is interconnected. What you do in one area, ripples thru all the other areas.

Until the idiots who run these merchant programs learn that lesson, you can make money working with them or against them ... either way you win.

And the point is not how much you win, but to keep winning day after day.

Banned
    I am surprised to hear about Dell's lack-luster quality, I have always heard good things about them, especially their support. Maybe these are isolated incidents...or maybe Dell is simply going downhill.

If you want good support, give Apple a try. I know that they can get very expensive, but it is said that their support is the best around.

It is not a good move for Dell to send out emails like this. I can see them wanting affiliates to focus more on items that yield them a higher profit margin, especially if Dell is running special promotional prices on these items. What is not wise is threatening to dump affiliates who do not increase their sales. This might be a scare tactic or they might actually go through with it, either way it is not smart. They are going to risk loosing affiliates who are generating them some profit in order to gain affiliates who generate them a large profit.

This will most likely result in a financial loss for Dell. If for some reason they end up geneating more money from their affiliate program, this income will be generated by a smaller number of affiliates. Should a portion of these affiliates decide to move-on to another merchant, Dell will lose out big time.

Dell should have been more tactful in their email. They should have worded it in such a way that it would not have been deemed offensive by so many of its recipients.

In the end, the best way to send a message to these merchants is to stop promoting their products. This way it shows them that they are not the best or the only ones out there and that they need to reevaluate the way they operate their affiliate program.

Banned
    It seems like the opions of Dell are as mixed elsewhere as they are here. At one end of the spectrum, we have this site: http://ihatedell.net/ , and at the other end we have this site: http://www.dellrocks.com/ .

Now consider this: Ihatedell is a forum for Dell complaints which seems to have had some recent activity; dellrocks is a regular site with blog-like posts.

Ihatedell is a site with content from multiple people whereas Dellrocks is a site with contend from one person.

Either Dell is trendig downwards or the people who do not like Dell are voicing their opinions much more loudly than the people who do like them. Although, a search fo "dell rocks" brings up many more results than a search for "dell sucks".

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nobugs
    It seems like the opions of Dell are as mixed elsewhere as they are here. At one end of the spectrum, we have this site: http://ihatedell.net/ , and at the other end we have this site: http://www.dellrocks.com/ .

Now consider this: Ihatedell is a forum for Dell complaints which seems to have had some recent activity; dellrocks is a regular site with blog-like posts.

Ihatedell is a site with content from multiple people whereas Dellrocks is a site with contend from one person.

Either Dell is trendig downwards or the people who do not like Dell are voicing their opinions much more loudly than the people who do like them. Although, a search fo "dell rocks" brings up many more results than a search for "dell sucks".
    Unfortunately folks tend to voice their complaints more readily than folks who offer cudos.

I personally have only had good things to say about Dell Computers themselves, having five personally and never having a problem with the hardware. DFS (Dell Financial Services) is another story all together, I have NOT been happy dealing with them.

As for the re-eval email - I was dropped by Dell Home a couple of years ago. Only am active with Dell Small Business - but I haven't promoted them much as I tend to stay away from electronics anymore.
    Last edited by Convergence; December 27th, 2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nobugs
    ...Although, a search fo "dell rocks" brings up many more results than a search for "dell sucks".
    Search for dell rocks without quotes brings up more indexed urls in Google. Probably because they are HQ'd in Round Rock, TX (outside of Austin)

Search for "dell rocks" with quotes http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="dell+rocks"&btnG=Search shows Results 1 - 10 of about 4,470 for "dell rocks". (0.06 seconds)

Search for "dell sucks" with quotes http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="dell+sucks"&btnG=Search shows Results 1 - 10 of about 25,500 for "dell sucks". (0.08 seconds)

People need to start seeing further than the value of whatever transaction may occur duing the lifetime of the cookie.

The service we are providing to Dell and all merchants we affiliate with is so valuable you can hardly put a price on it.

We are sending them customers.

Customers are the lifeblood of their business. Without customers they have no income, no profits, they can't grow their business.

The reward we get is really pretty meagre when you look at it that way.

If they think their brand is strong enough to produce an endless supply of new customers why are they running an affiliate program at all?

As times get hard merchants should be ramping up their affiliate programs, not running them into the ground.

well, it happened today. got another email saying they've terminated my affiliation.

granted im a tiny fish in the scheme of things but still, why would you want to turn down sales because it's not as profitable, but still profitable none the less. Even if the margin is small, dell still got leads from the sales i send them. to each's own, i guess.

Sorry to hear about you guys bad Dell experiences. Mine have been just the opposite, from the consumer side and affiliate side. I still consider my self an HP guy but I bought myself a Dell laptop about 6 months ago and my daughter one about 2 months ago, we couldn't be happier.

I prominently feature Dell computers and coupons on one of sites and yes the commish is tiny, if not miniscule, but I always get paid, have never had a reversal that I can recall.

Do you know if Dell brand products are available at other online computer stores ? or exclusive at dell.com only ? Thanks

best buy sells Dell computers, as does Staples. I think sometime last year Dell sought retail distribution with many of the big box stores.

other aff programs selling dell products:
    buy.com
    amazon
    walmart
    smmdirect

Dell Home cut me loose. They didn't say why and I'm not too sad. Not enough return for me anyway. I helped a friend buy a computer and got about $5 commish. Still happy with my 2 Dell PCs though, but my flat screen flickers sometimes after only 18 months.

They didn't say why
    maybe cause you aren't a toolbar affiliate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast